How's the 2015 talent pool shaping Up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So this 2014 draft is more a KPP draft, and it's not seen as an overly talented one compared to recent years, so what's the vibe of next year's Lot? Haven't really heard much about outlook for It? Does Knightmare or some of the other talent watchers have some idea of Them? Super Draft? KPP? Better than the class of 2014?

2015 WA prospects

Probably hasn't shone through like this years group did as underage prospects but probably has a few more high end prospects with more pace, flare and upside.

Callum Ah Che - 183cm, 74kg, Mid/ Fwd
Gregory Clark - 191cm, 80kg, Mid
Dylan Smith - 198cm, 81kg, Fwd/ Ruck
Eddie Simpson -194cm, ??kg, Fwd
Blair Della-Franca - 200cm, 90kg, Ruck
Kade Stewart - 180cm, 69kg, Mid
Mitch Antonio - 187cm, 62kg, Mid
Bradley Kersten - 193cm, 89kg, Fwd
Jordan Snedden - 187cm, 77kg, Mid/ Fwd
Bailey Rogers - 183cm, 77kg, Mid
Thomas Bennett - 184cm, 74kg, Mid
Ethan Burnett - 183cm, 80kg, Mid
Chad Daniels - 185cm, 78kg, Mid/ Fwd
Yestin Eades - 180cm, 75kg, Mid
Luke Shepherd - 188cm, 82kg, Def
Jacob Turner - 187 80kg, Mid
Levi Ridley - 183cm, 74kg, Mid
Jesse Micro - 190cm, 90kg, Def
Daniel Robertson - 183cm, 82kg, Mid

Last edited:
Looks to be plenty of midfield talent for next year. Vic Country for instance had all of Rhys Mathieson, Darcy Parish, Darcy Tucker and Josh Dunkley playing good footy for them at the champs recently. They ought to have a hell of a midfield next year.

Unfortunately for all the other clubs, Sydney look like they may be able to get two of next year's best 5 (Mills and Dunkley) with just their first and 2nd round picks (maybe picks 18 and 38 or so- after having done something similar this year with Heeney). So if that happens as expected that will severely weaken the top end for the clubs that finish near the bottom- who really need to be getting that type of talent in.

I really rate it. A lot of water to go under the bridge but I'd say there are 8-9 players in 2015 who shape up as more valuable prospects than #1 from this year. Mathieson, Tucker, Parish and Dunkley (smalls) and Schache, Skinner, Weitering and Collins as the KPPs. Haven't seen a huge amount of the metro folk but O'Kearney, Atkins, Weideman and Parsons shape up well. From SA Partington, Tahana, Francis, Olekans and Burton all look good. WA is covered above. Div 2 have a bit to like as well. I don't know much about Tasmania's crop (Dodge, perhaps) and my contact from the NT juniors has told me he doesn't see many if any draftable kids in next years crop but from the academies especially Mills and Keays (Syd/Bris respectively) look like top prospects while Hopper, Cornell and McDonald (GWS) have some potential - I do like Hopper. From Brisbane Corey Wagner, Nate Dennis and Liam Mosley all have something to work with and offer.

Jake Lovett, Gach Nyoun, Tom Cole, Jake Lovett and Ryan Hearn from Country as well as Andre Parella, Ben Beioley, Keiran Agius, Brendan Dew, Tim Sullivan from SA are all players who could emerge as >reasonable prospects next year too.

Midfield loaded from the Vics, but plenty of great talent. Mathieson, Tucker, Parish, Parsons, O'Kearney, Dunkley (SYD F/S), Schache, Weideman and Weitering are the names that stand out. I liked Tahana and Burton from what I saw from them at Champs level, Keays from QLD (BRIS Academy) and Mills from NSW (SYD Academy, oh boy this will create some tension in Melbourne media) are possible 1st round selections.

Burton, Parish, Mathieson the top 3 for mine at the moment. Falcs doing rather well, Metro will struggle.

2015 WA prospects

Probably hasn't shone through like this years group did as underage prospects but probably has a few more high end prospects with more pace, flare and upside.

Callum Ah Che - 183cm, 74kg, Mid/ Fwd
Gregory Clark - 191cm, 80kg, Mid
Dylan Smith - 198cm, 81kg, Fwd/ Ruck
Eddie Simpson -194cm, ??kg, Fwd
Blair Della-Franca - 200cm, 90kg, Ruck
Kade Stewart - 180cm, 69kg, Mid
Mitch Antonio - 187cm, 62kg, Mid
Bradley Kersten - 193cm, 89kg, Fwd
Bailey Rogers - 183cm, 77kg, Mid
Thomas Bennett - 184cm, 74kg, Mid
Ethan Burnett - 183cm, 80kg, Mid
Chad Daniels - 185cm, 78kg, Mid/ Fwd
Yestin Eades - 180cm, 75kg, Mid
Luke Shepherd - 188cm, 82kg, Def
Jacob Turner - 187 80kg, Mid
Levi Ridley - 183cm, 74kg, Mid
Jesse Micro - 190cm, 90kg, Def
Daniel Robertson - 183cm, 82kg, Mid

Callum Ah Chee love this kid like his older brother a terrific person as well like
his older brother went through WCE leadership program this year.

Gregory Clark great size good skills will be another sort after player.

Mitch Antonio is skinny but boy he can play, if he can put some weight on,
could be pretty special

Ethan Burnett another kid I rate.

Burton, Parish, Mathieson the top 3 for mine at the moment. Falcs doing rather well, Metro will struggle.

Mathieson is interesting, he looks really good, I just have a few question marks on his decision making that makes me question his rating come next year.
Parish on the other hand, he really interests me and I would be shocked if he drops out of the top 5 next year.

Yeah I agree. Something about Mathieson sits a little off for me. I've still got he and Parish 1 & 2 for now (though Mills and Keays continuing to absolutely pillage the NEAFL might have to make me reconsider that) but I haven't really worked out the order. Parish seems more composed and classy while Mathieson seems the better accumulator but just a little rough around the edges in many ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy Tucker, freak. He and Parish should both be top three.

Bradley to Blues
Rice to Saints ?

Finally a father son pick for us!

Is interesting listening to Triple M in the mornings, listening to Eddie fight vehemently to scrap the academy picks and father/sons whilst on the other side of the table (literally), Luke Darcy argues the lack thereof father/sons to clubs like St.Kilda, Melbourne and (an invested interest in) the Western Bulldogs.

Is interesting listening to Triple M in the mornings, listening to Eddie fight vehemently to scrap the academy picks and father/sons whilst on the other side of the table (literally), Luke Darcy argues the lack thereof father/sons to clubs like St.Kilda, Melbourne and (an invested interest in) the Western Bulldogs.
Umm... The Bulldogs have been clearly in the top 2/3 clubs with F/S recently?

Are they?

Liberatore and Wallis. But thats it.

Essendon, Geelong, Collingwood all have more, and better talent from F/S
Liberatore, Wallis, both first rounders, one was gotten for a second rounder. Cordy also drafted in the first round. Also picked up Hunter who looks like a good young mid. That is 3/4 in the last 4 years, which definitely puts them in the top 3 clubs recently. I would prefer Wallis+Libba on their own with one in the second round to Daniher at 10. Collingwood haven't had a father/son of note for 10 years. So yes, Bulldogs probably have the best "recent" father/sons depending on how you define it. Certainly of all clubs Bulldogs have little to complain about.

Liberatore, Wallis, both first rounders, one was gotten for a second rounder. Cordy also drafted in the first round. Also picked up Hunter who looks like a good young mid. That is 3/4 in the last 4 years, which definitely puts them in the top 3 clubs recently. I would prefer Wallis+Libba on their own with one in the second round to Daniher at 10. Collingwood haven't had a father/son of note for 10 years. So yes, Bulldogs probably have the best "recent" father/sons depending on how you define it. Certainly of all clubs Bulldogs have little to complain about.
the only player we got for a bargain was Libba

We arguably overpaid for Cordy, Wallis and Hunter was par for the course. We certainly didnt get on dat dere Tom Hawkins for last round pick nonsense.

the only player we got for a bargain was Libba

We arguably overpaid for Cordy, Wallis and Hunter was par for the course. We certainly didnt get on dat dere Tom Hawkins for last round pick nonsense.
Since the new system (i.e. recent), the Bulldogs have done very well. They certainly have a lot less to complain about than probably all clubs bar Geelong, about similar with Collingwood and Essendon, and have done far better than many other clubs like St Kilda, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, a few others and more or less all interstate clubs.

There's nothing interesting about listening to that show

On the improve as well.

Callum Ah Chee love this kid like his older brother a terrific person as well like
his older brother went through WCE leadership program this year.

Gregory Clark great size good skills will be another sort after player.

Mitch Antonio is skinny but boy he can play, if he can put some weight on,
could be pretty special

Ethan Burnett another kid I rate.

Yeah Burnett can play but he's had his injury problems this year.

Thoughts on Jack Snedden?

He might not even choose us! Tough decision to make. Hopefully we can be good enough next year for him to want to play for us over Carlton. Wonder what pick we'll need to give up for him?

Haven't seen him play yet, but he seems to be a pretty good size with a good kicking action. It would be great if we could get him with our third pick to leave our first two open for selection. Has anyone here seen Ricey play? How good is he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back