3 players we'd least like to lose for a final

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole Boomer saga has made me think, who would be the 3 blokes we would least like to lose for an important final. It's not about potential, but it's all about today. Here are my selections in no particular order:

Goldstein - our current ruck situation is such, that should Goldy go down, the only choices are the Currie and the Beast. Neither would be an adequate replacement for a big game, and could make it really hard for our midfield to stay competitive.

Petrie - as much as he is getting on, and hasn't had his best season, Drew is still irreplacable as it stands at the moment. Black and Brown have played 42 and 6 games respectively. This isn't the forward line that can kick a winning score in a final, without an experienced bloke along side them IMO.

Boomer - despite our midfield developing together for a few seasons now, and Spitta seemingly finding some touch again, we still very much lack the cream or class, depends how you want to call it. That cutting edge inside 50 delivery is a big issue for us, and Boomer does that better than most. His average game would likely give us 2 goals and 3-4 goal assists. His best game could be even better. Him not being there makes us 5 goals lesser side.

I want to be able to say Cunnington.

But I want the side to be selected around him.

He will be our best mid. The team should start Goldy then Cunners and work out from there.

I want to be able to say Cunnington.

But I want the side to be selected around him.

He will be our best mid. The team should start Goldy then Cunners and work out from there.
If Cunners has been struggling with injury this season (which would help explain his low midfield minutes for the second half of the year) then I expect we'll see him transcend his corporeal and the laws of physics come the first weekend in September. He will give us everything he's got. He's pretty much Goku.

I think OP's choices are pretty much mine as well but before injury you'd have to have Andy Swallow as number one. Only player on our list that I could imagine doing what Jarrad McVeigh did for the Swans in the second quarter of their final against Carlton when the chips were down. At his best I think Greenwood could also do something similar but when he's not at his best he doesn't have the composure and game sense that Spitta does.

If Cunners has been struggling with injury this season (which would help explain his low midfield minutes for the second half of the year) then I expect we'll see him transcend his corporeal and the laws of physics come the first weekend in September. He will give us everything he's got. He's pretty much Goku.

The ability to manipulate time and space to suit himself is going to be a joy to watch.

The whole Boomer saga has made me think, who would be the 3 blokes we would least like to lose for an important final. It's not about potential, but it's all about today. Here are my selections in no particular order:

Goldstein - our current ruck situation is such, that should Goldy go down, the only choices are the Currie and the Beast. Neither would be an adequate replacement for a big game, and could make it really hard for our midfield to stay competitive.

Petrie - as much as he is getting on, and hasn't had his best season, Drew is still irreplacable as it stands at the moment. Black and Brown have played 42 and 6 games respectively. This isn't the forward line that can kick a winning score in a final, without an experienced bloke along side them IMO.

Boomer - despite our midfield developing together for a few seasons now, and Spitta seemingly finding some touch again, we still very much lack the cream or class, depends how you want to call it. That cutting edge inside 50 delivery is a big issue for us, and Boomer does that better than most. His average game would likely give us 2 goals and 3-4 goal assists. His best game could be even better. Him not being there makes us 5 goals lesser side.
Good choices. I'd also agree with Mr. Blonde's choice of Thompson but it depends on who we play. For *, Boomer is a bigger loss than Scotty

Without a doubt, it has to be our spine:

1.Goldstein: No matter what anyone on BF says, the opinion of the coaching staff and outsiders would have Todd on top of this list. He has been pretty huge in the past month and around the contest has been very effective in his repeat efforts-smothering, stealing the ball off the opposition, blocking and clearing the ball. Add to that the hit-out/effective hit-outs numbers that he has been racking up, he is number one on our list.

2.Thompson: Very little KPD depth at the moment. Is our best defender even if he is out of touch.

3.Drew: Again out of form, but is still crucial until Black/Brown/anyone else can straighten us up and demand the first defender. Gets slammed on here but is still having a decent season.

HM: Cunnington (not included only because we have a number of players that could collectively get a similar result as him in a game), Thomas (the heart and soul of our group, leader, much loved and bloody skilled).

Look at the flip side..to losing Boomer for the first final… the team has TWO WEEKs dress rehearsal to 'adjust' to a better machinations. Adversity reveals plenty in teams. If you think that football builds character, it does not, it reveals character. The next tier have had ample opportunities to earn their keep. This is the right opportunity for not only the players but Brad Scott to test his players.

Lots of people putting Thompson in there. I will counter that with the following arguments:

1. With Grima back and inform as well as Hansen ready to return, we have a good coverage down back, with fit again Tippett on standby if required.
2. Most teams don't have more than 1 quality tall forward anyway these days, and Firrito, Grima and Hansen are more than capable
3. The game Thompson has missed through suspension this season we had a great win over Freo in Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at the flip side..to losing Boomer for the first final… the team has TWO WEEKs dress rehearsal to 'adjust' to a better machinations. Adversity reveals plenty in teams. If you think that football builds character, it does not, it reveals character. The next tier have had ample opportunities to earn their keep. This is the right opportunity for not only the players but Brad Scott to test his players.
I hope you are right. But the pessimist in me looks back to the start of last season without Boomer, where we could hardly win a game against quality opposition until he returned.

Wells.
Goldstein
Atley
Not sure about Wells and Atley. Wells is a good player obviously, but we've just proven we can win without him, since round 5 this season.
Atley is a handy player, but hasn't really developed into the player I was hoping for. I thought he would be our new Boomer/Wells outside speed and class that we badly need. But at this stage he is just a handy half back flanker, capable of a few catchy runs from defense per game, half of which don't lead to anything.

Given our opposition will most likely be the drug cheats, I'd say the most valuable players for us will be the ones who are prepared to win the contested ball and to tackle and make the opposition accountable. Hopefully we have 22 of them. Last time we played *, we had none.

I hope you are right. But the pessimist in me looks back to the start of last season without Boomer, where we could hardly win a game against quality opposition until he returned.

I can appreciate why the pessimist is crying wolf.. but as I have seen it many times in sports and not limited to just NFL.. a champion team will always beat a team of champions.. that's not different to saying Defense wins championships.. and that's been the difference.

Had Boomer got suspended in the lead up to the first final.. I wouldn't be so 'hopeful' but there is HOPE and like I said… a sheer blessing. The mental toughness that will rise from the team will be evident in the coming couple weeks.

How do I think Brad Scott will need to manage this rambling 'aggitated beast' ?

Playing more man on man when defending / focus on the contest from the back end instead of too much zone coverage which allows players to drop off their focus. Ready to run in three and fours with sleek quick handball and have the 'Pagan Paddock' happening with kicking into the space so the run thru midfielders who are already in stride from the three's and fours have options to either run into an open goal or find the space for a quick pass for a set shot. Having five forwards isn't the answer to kicking goals now.. it's the stoppages and the set up that leaves the forward line open.

Just my 2c worth. :)

How do I think Brad Scott will need to manage this rambling 'aggitated beast' ?

Playing more man on man when defending / focus on the contest from the back end instead of too much zone coverage which allows players to drop off their focus. Ready to run in three and fours with sleek quick handball and have the 'Pagan Paddock' happening with kicking into the space so the run thru midfielders who are already in stride from the three's and fours have options to either run into an open goal or find the space for a quick pass for a set shot. Having five forwards isn't the answer to kicking goals now.. it's the stoppages and the set up that leaves the forward line open.

Just my 2c worth. :)

It's doubtful that now is the time to implement any game plan changes...

It's doubtful that now is the time to implement any game plan changes...

It's the spray he can always unleash.. has wondered wonders.. believe that players can respond if they feel the wrath of the coach and the players know that it's ONE in ALL in.. mentality.. skills under pressure should be instinctive with the ongoing flow of practise. Since Essendon (likely opponent) are NOT a 4 quarter team and their goal-kicking prowess can be questionable.. this game is winnable but instead of me getting ahead of myself… it'll be interesting how Brad Scott works his talls this weekend.. the Crows will be scratching for everything so having the midfield willing to dictate early.. the rotation from the talls to have a spare move back as a floater for the contested bomb is how I'd go about it.. Crows have shown they love bombing to the top of the square so the midfield pressure will Scott's task to the defence man on man / flooded.

Since it looks like we're playing *, I'd say the most valuably would be Lindsay he was one of the few who could hold their heads up high after round 1. I just have a feeling giving the big stage he'll deliver the goods.

If this pushes Brad S to implement a successful Plan B (or C) then we are in front :)

Nick Dal Santo.

For his defensive intensity.

Lulza!!

Nick Dal Santo.

For his defensive intensity.

Lulza!!

This is the three, with NDS and his chief defensive tactic displayed on the right.

mythreesons.gif

It worked perfectly for Gold Coast when they lost Gazza Ablett...

Seriously though I do agree that someone else needs to make a name for themselves with Boomer out and it could be Fishy Mullets time to shine after 37 touches in the 2's. Throw him on the wing and give him the licence to shoot!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back