Preview Round 23: Sydney Swans V Richmond Tigers @ ANZ Stadium 30/08/2014 - 4:40 PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG a bigfooty poster spelt "loose" in the correct context!! :p
Ominous signs for the Commission XVIII
Mate loose the sarcasm.

I know one thing.
In the event that we don't win I'll be keeping away from this place.
I visualize a posse of tigers posters pacing impatiently as this inconvenient winning run occurs.
I imagine they push the door slightly ajar at times for a look inside,some have even poked their heads in.
But if it goes awry they'll come in like a ******* stampede,so stand clear of the doors.

Pray for rain. Swans will have no reason to crack in hard contest after contest and that would give us the edge.

Light showers forecasted. The other thing that sucks for both teams is the poor surface of the ground. I don't even need to see it to know this given NRL are playing there like the night before. I just hope no injuries to either side because of it.

He didn't seem happy about the idea though.

JPK wanted to play V. WB and was left out. Personal preferences won't matter, I don't expect Tippett to play, and if he does expect him to get subbed out barring injury to anyone else.

Fuuuuuu......Martin still needs to wait another week

Before he can rip Port a new one!
e402.png

Just thinking about the game and how we might be able to win and I reckon the inclusion of Vickery could hold the key. Now I know what everyone is thinking with bringing Vickery in and playing the 3 tall forward set up, but I'd actually go down a different path. I'd rotate Griffiths & Vickery as the loose man in defence. Griffiths takes a great contested grab and his ability to kick the ball 60m long and accurately would be a great way to get our counter attacking game moving quickly which would catch the Swans out as they are not an overly quick side. Vickery has shown that he can be effective when up in the play as well and given both Vickery and Griffiths can handle ruck work it would also Maric to be used more effectively as well.

With that in mind the changes I'd make heading into the game are:
In: Vickery Martin
Out: Lennon Conca

B: Morris Rance Grimes
HB: Houli Chaplin Batchelor
C: Ellis Cotchin Grigg
HF: Deledio Griffiths Martin
F: Gordon Riewoldt S.Edwards
R: Maric Foley Miles
INT: Newman Petterd Vickery
SUB: Vlastuin
EMG: Dea Lennon Conca
Can't remember where I saw it (might have been 360) but a video went over where we failed against Sydney last time and it was our kicking out of defense. This is where someone like Griffiths can be a short kick marking target inside defensive 50 or a long kick on the wings (after Houli/Newman play on) and then he can penetrate deep up the ground to Jack or Vickery.

I love Griffiths in the side, he's so good up the ground, but we lose a marking target in our forward half and Jack gets double/triple teamed because of it. Vickery and Jack are playing extremely well together in the forward 50, they lead and block for each other in a way that only comes from playing together as much as they have.

The gamble of course, is how good will Vickery play after 4 weeks off and having no game time.

Can't remember where I saw it (might have been 360) but a video went over where we failed against Sydney last time and it was our kicking out of defense. This is where someone like Griffiths can be a short kick marking target inside defensive 50 or a long kick on the wings (after Houli/Newman play on) and then he can penetrate deep up the ground to Jack or Vickery.

I love Griffiths in the side, he's so good up the ground, but we lose a marking target in our forward half and Jack gets double/triple teamed because of it. Vickery and Jack are playing extremely well together in the forward 50, they lead and block for each other in a way that only comes from playing together as much as they have.

The gamble of course, is how good will Vickery play after 4 weeks off and having no game time.
Yeah David King pointed it out on 360.
I agree with his assessment that we can dictate what happens from the outset too.
Smashing in like no tomorrow would surely have some swans players and coaches thinking " is this worth it"?

Also I'll add, Vickery has spent 4 weeks completely injury free in training. He would have had a mini pre-season over the last 4 weeks. If we make it through this week he is going to be extremely useful going forward.

Also I'll add, Vickery has spent 4 weeks completely injury free in training. He would have had a mini pre-season over the last 4 weeks. If we make it through this week he is going to be extremely useful going forward.

Im not sure I like the idea of bringing Tv in after 4 wks off. But if hes been working hard I dont think we can leave him out if the match ups warrent it. It's not like he can come back via the 2's . They've finished haven't they ? He needs match time heading into the finals, but I don't think we should make room for him by bumping Ben. It 's nice to have selection issues this late in the season though.....

He's referring to round one where Sydney lost to GWS

Really OMG that just seems a life time ago. I couldn't recall that happening. Cheers guys

Question - What do 2005 and 2012 have in Common? Swans lose to Tigers >>>> Swans win Flag.

Basically if we are to repeat History (in a way that see's the Swans winning the flag) ..... they must lose to Richmond!

Pray for rain. Swans will have no reason to crack in hard contest after contest and that would give us the edge.
They players aren't just going to stand outside the contest hopping they get the ball. Swans will still go hard but it's the time management of players that could play into your hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah David King pointed it out on 360.
I agree with his assessment that we can dictate what happens from the outset too.
Smashing in like no tomorrow would surely have some swans players and coaches thinking " is this worth it"?

I agree 100% with this.

We need to be smashing into every contest like its our last. plant the seed of doubt and self preservation mode will kick in fairly quickly i reckon.

Even if it means we give away a few free kicks early on than so be it. Any time one of their main ball winners gets tackled have 2 or 3 guys stack on top (not with knees or anything dirty) but just exert physical force and pressure on them any chance we get.

Wouldn't mind seeing a few of our boys trying to ruffle a few feathers as well before the ball is bounced. get stuck right into them, Swans will be very mindful that they can't afford to get sucked into anything that may risk missing a match so lets push the envelope i say (not Vickery or Conca style though)..

I agree 100% with this.

We need to be smashing into every contest like its our last. plant the seed of doubt and self preservation mode will kick in fairly quickly i reckon.

Even if it means we give away a few free kicks early on than so be it. Any time one of their main ball winners gets tackled have 2 or 3 guys stack on top (not with knees or anything dirty) but just exert physical force and pressure on them any chance we get.

Wouldn't mind seeing a few of our boys trying to ruffle a few feathers as well before the ball is bounced. get stuck right into them, Swans will be very mindful that they can't afford to get sucked into anything that may risk missing a match so lets push the envelope i say (not Vickery or Conca style though)..

I agree although I reckon the Swans might be up for it. They're just not a bruise free side. Always admired that about them.

I agree although I reckon the Swans might be up for it. They're just not a bruise free side. Always admired that about them.

Very true, they arent typically a bruise free side and I too have a lot of respect for them and how they go about it, but they will be hoping thats the type of game they will get from us I dare say.

Basically we just need to throw down the gauntlett to them from the start and see how they react to it. If they want to win the game as badly as they claim they do, then we need to make them earn it at every single contest. Force them to have to go in a lot harder than us, make it their only option if they want to get the win. If they don't back down from the challenge kudos to them, we just make sure they walk away from the game knowing they just had a brutal physical encounter and we walk away knowing we gave it 100% regardless of the result.

They players aren't just going to stand outside the contest hopping they get the ball. Swans will still go hard but it's the time management of players that could play into your hands.

See this is the thing. Outside of the one belting a few years ago, we match up really well against Sydney and a lot of Sydney "supporters" forget that. IMo Sydney can go as hard in as they like but in 5 out of 6 games our midfield has won the battle more often then not. If we look at the last game and take away the umpire non decisions, Sydney had to things going for them that Richmond gifted them. first thing is that we kicked points not goals. Also all there goals in the second half were from defensive turn overs. They never scored a goal from a clearance, or stoppage or a inside 50...only from our own turnovers.

To highlight this. We had 72 more over all disposals. We beat them convincingly in contested possession +15 uncontested possession +57 stoppages +10.

What won them the game is that we allowed the second half to be a scrum, before that they could not keep up with our running, and thats the key and there one weakness. For all there strength in the forward half, they can be beaten in the midfield and can be split open if we can keep the ball outside for a uncontested inside 50.

Also and keep this in mind, we achieved this result while completely out of form and lacking in confidence. We went in the game knowing we would not win, that is different to how we are feeling now. My strong belief is that we will beat this mob by 23 points. We just have to keep the game on our terms and not be succored into a scrum game. Force the clearance and get the ball on the outside. The other big thing, we need our defenders to not turn the ball over. If in doubt, run the ball out with hand balls then kick when they hit the midfield area, that way if we do turn the ball over we can spread and cover the resulting inside 50.

Of course not, but if we manage to get up by a few goals and the conditions are bad and players are starting to get tired and sore, the Swans might not go in with the same intensity as a knock out final (which it virtually is for us). That could play into our hands, a lot of football is decided by who wants it more. In theory, we should want this one a lot more.

Of course not, but if we manage to get up by a few goals and the conditions are bad and players are starting to get tired and sore, the Swans might not go in with the same intensity as a knock out final (which it virtually is for us). That could play into our hands, a lot of football is decided by who wants it more. In theory, we should want this one a lot more.

Absolutely. If we are willing to attack the ball ravenously and if Sydney goes into self preservation zone, then we will this game.

See this is the thing. Outside of the one belting a few years ago, we match up really well against Sydney and a lot of Sydney "supporters" forget that. IMo Sydney can go as hard in as they like but in 5 out of 6 games our midfield has won the battle more often then not. If we look at the last game and take away the umpire non decisions, Sydney had to things going for them that Richmond gifted them. first thing is that we kicked points not goals. Also all there goals in the second half were from defensive turn overs. They never scored a goal from a clearance, or stoppage or a inside 50...only from our own turnovers.

To highlight this. We had 72 more over all disposals. We beat them convincingly in contested possession +15 uncontested possession +57 stoppages +10.

What won them the game is that we allowed the second half to be a scrum, before that they could not keep up with our running, and thats the key and there one weakness. For all there strength in the forward half, they can be beaten in the midfield and can be split open if we can keep the ball outside for a uncontested inside 50.

Also and keep this in mind, we achieved this result while completely out of form and lacking in confidence. We went in the game knowing we would not win, that is different to how we are feeling now. My strong belief is that we will beat this mob by 23 points. We just have to keep the game on our terms and not be succored into a scrum game. Force the clearance and get the ball on the outside. The other big thing, we need our defenders to not turn the ball over. If in doubt, run the ball out with hand balls then kick when they hit the midfield area, that way if we do turn the ball over we can spread and cover the resulting inside 50.
All valid points, we have been getting belted In the clearances up until last week. I honesty think Tom Mitchell made a huge difference, nearly ever touch he got was at the bottom of a pack. Kennedy coming is great for is but makes the mids a a touch slower. Anyway I think it will be a great contest and I expect us to win however i would not be surprised in any way if tigers got up.

I think it was afl 360, but the problem was no movement from our mids in the middle of the ground to provide a target to kick too. That's the issue.

The biggest point if we do manage to win this game, is it will go a long way for the players to believe that they actually are good enough to be a contender.

Agree with that. Was the thing that got me to do the thread in the first place.

Thinking more about the game and knowing our turn overs is our weakness. Maybe dimma should park Griffith as a high defending CHB to be the receiver of the clearence kick. that way he can then kick the s**t out of the ball and more often then not clear the swans press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back