Mega Thread Training Reports Season Proper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe...but he's had to "lift his work rate" since the moment he started preseason...and we're still asking him to do it? I don't know where he fits in in our squad.

He'll be right, no chance of delisting - Freo aren't going to pay him 400k/year for 3 years only to delist him after 1.

Should also be noted, Clancee Pearce and Michael Walters also had to lift their work rate and were probably far worse off at that point than Sylvia is currently.

We cut Jack Anthony's a year early, I wouldn't think we'd cut Sylvia's 2 years early. He'll get another preseason to show he belongs at the club. Fingers crossed watching our finals campaign from the bleachers has a profound effect on him.

Jack Anthony is not even close to being in the same basket. Sylvia is like Ablett compared to JA

Maybe...but he's had to "lift his work rate" since the moment he started preseason...and we're still asking him to do it? I don't know where he fits in in our squad.

He's been injured a fair bit this season, which (contrary to what most people have been saying) is actually the thing most likely to cause him being delisted, if it came to that. He's effectively out for the season with a hammy, missed the last 3 WAFL games.

I think this year will be a massive kick up the ass for Sylvia. Watching the team you were meant to come in and make better play finals without you should get you pretty motivated. Especially if we make a 2nd GF (fingers crossed). As far as I'm concerned, fresh start next year for him. Hope he absolutely dominates pre season and becomes the new Lyon success story

He's been injured a fair bit this season, which (contrary to what most people have been saying) is actually the thing most likely to cause him being delisted, if it came to that. He's effectively out for the season with a hammy, missed the last 3 WAFL games.

He wasn't injured when he was in the team. He was ordinary, and was then dropped. You certainly don't delist players because they have had a hamstring for a couple of weeks.

He wasn't injured when he was in the team. He was ordinary, and was then dropped. You certainly don't delist players because they have had a hamstring for a couple of weeks.

No he wasn't injured. He was being played in a position he has never played in his career.
He was the direct swap for Ballantyne in the Saints debacle. He has never been a small forward.
Colin's game against Richmond, albeit coming on as a sub, gave us a glimpse of what he can be for us as a midfielder drifting forward. He was also ill in that game and was named in the starting 18 but because of concerns about what the media experts would have done to him , he was relegated to sub.
His performance was acceptable.

No he wasn't injured. He was being played in a position he has never played in his career.
He was the direct swap for Ballantyne in the Saints debacle. He has never been a small forward.
Colin's game against Richmond, albeit coming on as a sub, gave us a glimpse of what he can be for us as a midfielder drifting forward. He was also ill in that game and was named in the starting 18 but because of concerns about what the media experts would have done to him , he was relegated to sub.

His performance wasnt up to scratch.If it was he would have remained in the 22

Crozier>Sylvia

Colin cops a fair bit of stick from a lot of posters here. Some of it may be warranted, but Fred is right, he's playing a new position in an unfamiliar team. He hasn't gotten the matches he's required to a)learn his new role and b)gel with his new team because he's had injuries and some form issues (probably at least partially attributable to needing game time in his new position with his new club).

Give him another preseason and see if he improves. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire, but trying to learn a new position up forward playing for Peel must be like trying to learn paint by being given a box of crayola's and told to come back when you can accurately reproduce the old Italian masters. He's been starved of supply, and given no real direction.

Would we? If his attitude is bad?
I doubt he'd get a gig at any other club at the minute. I doubt even Roos would take him back. I think though if he turns up to pre season out of shape and doesn't perform next season, the club may consider (only my opinion of course) letting him go at the end of next year. I don't see how they'd put up with two effortless years in a row.

If, and I mean IF, Sylvia get his attitude right and his defensive game down he could be a MDB with the skills to make a dent with ball in hand. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, eager to get a look at the boys today.

His performance wasnt up to scratch.If it was he would have remained in the 22

He did play the following week,in fact he played in the next five including the Saints game before being dropped for the Carlton game.
He is definitely being maligned on this board and it is disgraceful.
It was done to Adam Mcphee, Jack Anthony, Josh Mellington and Now Col Sylvia.
He is a Docker. He should not be persecuted on here.
People on here say he has an attitude because he looks sullen and miserable. FCS.
Maybe he is just saying ICBF talking s**t with training watchers. What next ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colin cops a fair bit of stick from a lot of posters here. Some of it may be warranted, but Fred is right, he's playing a new position in an unfamiliar team. He hasn't gotten the matches he's required to a)learn his new role and b)gel with his new team because he's had injuries and some form issues (probably at least partially attributable to needing game time in his new position with his new club).

Give him another preseason and see if he improves. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire, but trying to learn a new position up forward playing for Peel must be like trying to learn paint by being given a box of crayola's and told to come back when you can accurately reproduce the old Italian masters. He's been starved of supply, and given no real direction.

FFS ,he is 28 with years of experience. It was about his effort from day one not being played out of position

FFS ,he is 28 with years of experience. It was about his effort from day one not being played out of position
Whilst I agree with this perhaps FFC just made a mistake on how well Sylvia could fit into the Lyon game plan. He was always a midfielder at Melbourne that 'floated' forward with aplomb. He was never defensive unless he was tackling midfielders at stoppages. His two-way ability has been seriously over-estimated by our recruiting and coaching staff.

Guys - Stop putting useless stuff in the training thread. This is the one thread to keep clean.
Personally I think anyone who mentions C. S. before the end of the season should get a day off from bigfooty. He will not play again this year so their is no point discussing him before preseason starts.

Guys - Stop putting useless stuff in the training thread. This is the one thread to keep clean.
Personally I think anyone who mentions C. S. before the end of the season should get a day off from bigfooty. He will not play again this year so their is no point discussing him before preseason starts.

I kind of like the way this thread goes way off topic until a training report emerges. *ducks for cover*

The report can then be discussed, and then we go off topic again. I totally understand how it's a catch 22 seeing as people see new posts so think a training report has appeared and then get sucked in to the nonsense themselves, but it's only because we're all so eager for the training report to appear.

BULLSHIT
He is a professional footballer and has not shown us a bloody thing .
Sylvia has played football all his sporting life and he knows the game inside out . As a kid he would have played in a variety of positions before he settled into the midfield at Melbourne .

What I was getting at is that he's no spring chicken and this is not the only soft-tissue injury he's had this year. When you're 28, not in the best 22 and keep getting injured, you're at risk. If he was injury free he'd have nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back