Welcome Welcome Pat Voss - 2024 Season SSP Signing

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing from the club directly yet.

Not doubting we’ve signed Voss one bit but earlier today afl.com.any ran a story that Collingwood had signed an SSP player to their list - not too much later it’s announced that it’s actually three SSP players.

In all likelihood it’s just Voss but until I see something from the club I’m not sure I want to assume the others are not being considered anymore.
Its been announced its only Voss. Beatie would be pretty unlucky.

Always wondered why these things don’t show up when I search them initially. I double checked the club website before posting and couldn’t find anything. Apparently I posted an hour ago and the club two hours ago.

Seems to be an issue with the app etc. I’ve seen people post things on here then go on the club app myself and find nothing.

Anyway - it’s confirmed. Voss would have to be the worst kept secret on this board tbh. Reckon they only held off so they could keep the other three players at the club. Like you I thought Beattie was a chance.

Always wondered why these things don’t show up when I search them initially. I double checked the club website before posting and couldn’t find anything. Apparently I posted an hour ago and the club two hours ago.

Seems to be an issue with the app etc. I’ve seen people post things on here then go on the club app myself and find nothing.

Anyway - it’s confirmed. Voss would have to be the worst kept secret on this board tbh. Reckon they only held off so they could keep the other three players at the club. Like you I thought Beattie was a chance.
The club will pre post things, when they become available they show up as however many hours ago but they aren't publicly viewable

Having said that, I do think this one has been up for a couple of hours, I viewed it a couple hours ago from somewhere

Yeah unlucky for Beattie, but I wonder if the preseason form of Cooper Simpson has worked against him. From all reports Simpson will be close to the round 1 squad in the small forward role which rotates through the midfield.

The club will pre post things, when they become available they show up as however many hours ago but they aren't publicly viewable

Having said that, I do think this one has been up for a couple of hours, I viewed it a couple hours ago from somewhere

Sometimes the app is well behind the desktop website.

If it didn’t get me into games I’d probably delete our app and would just use my browser to access our website instead tbh.

Yeah unlucky for Beattie, but I wonder if the preseason form of Cooper Simpson has worked against him. From all reports Simpson will be close to the round 1 squad in the small forward role which rotates through the midfield.

I think Beattie’s problem is he’s a mid/forward and/or flanker rather than a genuine goal kicker.

Despite what people say I reckon Switta and Frederick cover those roles pretty well. We should really have mids playing HFF when Switta is in the midfield or benched tbh.

Simpson isn’t too far off being a bigger Switta who hits the scoreboard more from what I’ve seen. If anything I think he ends up being more of a midfielder than Switta is 3-4 years done the track.

I like the signing. Looking back at the match vid he was prominent in different ways up fwd. As said, a nice Corbett fill in and who knows, we could be celebrating 150 in a number of years.

Courtesy of BrunoV from the Essendon board:
"You need to be looking at Voss as an oversized flanker. The best, most likely version of him that makes it would be something like Chris Mayne with the physicality and power of Aaron Hamil.

That he happens to be 193/194cm and 94kg I think was his downfall. I think for a lot of guys in this in-between height, life gets too complicated, particularly early in a career and they'd be better off at 188cm. At the shorter height they'd be seen more for what they are than what they could be.

He was a third tall at either end as an 18 yo. He played midfield in his younger days.

He lacks tricks to stand and deliver as a key forward (even though there are quality key forwards at that size and shorter). He's not explosively quick and doesn't have a noteworthy leap. So even though he could score at the lower level you have to query whether he has the game of an AFL KPF.

He went through a patch in the middle of 2023 when he couldn't catch the ball but that was not characteristic of 2022 or his form either side of the bad run in 2023. He's a solid mark but not the type to jump over or stand and deliver in a pack.

He's a former high level junior rugby league player (was tied to GWS academy). It's not that he wasn't a 'footballer', he was playing both sports. I mention the league because when he's not absorbed in trying to be a key forward he does bring a brutal physicality to his game.

He was winning time trials during his first preseason with us. He has good, and possibly very good, running capacity without an explosive burst of speed or great agility.

He's a very nice, long kick of the ball.

I'm convinced there is a player there but that, at least in a first 50 games, that is as a hard working half forward who you could even play as an outnumber up the ground where he'd be really good at throwing his weight around (i.e. the modern version of Aaron Hamill). He may well become a genuine key forward but that is putting the cart before the horse."

In order of who is most likely to get picked out of our Key fwds/Medium tall fwds every week it would probably go like this:

1. Jackson (Darcy is no 1 ruck)
2. Amiss
3. Treacy
4. Tabs
5. Sturt
6. Banfield
7. Odin Jones (is that his name?)

Jones is a project player, Banfield shouldn’t get a game if we’re playing finals, Sturt/Tabs injury proned and form waivers and Treacy isn’t proven yet and honestly preferred him playing as a back up ruck/fwd.

Reckon we only have 2 genuine tall fwds that are a lock every week.

Voss plays just as many if not more games than Corbett did in 2023. That’s my prediction.

In order of who is most likely to get picked out of our Key fwds/Medium tall fwds every week it would probably go like this:

1. Jackson (Darcy is no 1 ruck)
2. Amiss
3. Treacy
4. Tabs
5. Sturt
6. Banfield
7. Odin Jones (is that his name?)

Jones is a project player, Banfield shouldn’t get a game if we’re playing finals, Sturt/Tabs injury proned and form waivers and Treacy isn’t proven yet and honestly preferred him playing as a back up ruck/fwd.

Reckon we only have 2 genuine tall fwds that are a lock every week.

Voss plays just as many if not more games than Corbett did in 2023. That’s my prediction.

Don’t reckon Sturt or Banfield fit into that conversation unless we’re going slightly smaller tbh. It’s an option but I think it’s three of the top four you’ve mentioned and one of Sturt and Banfield. Voss could easily fit into the mix for both categories but is probably more like competing with the four genuine KPFs than the mid-sized players imo.

I like that he’s 20/21 so can still improve. If he shows much at all it gives us real flexibility list wise at years end when we’re making a few tough decisions.

Must have some good attributes to have trialled so long and snagged a place.

At worst at least if we have some injuries up forward we can still pick to maintain our structure.

Bizarre the Bombers would delist a young key fwd who won a bnf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must have some good attributes to have trialled so long and snagged a place.

At worst at least if we have some injuries up forward we can still pick to maintain our structure.

Bizarre the Bombers would delist a young key fwd who won a bnf.
The club and fans treatment of him has been truly mystifying to me.

I have absolutely zero problems with bringing another 194cm 90+ kilo wrecking ball type forward onto the list... as for the marks against him at the Bombers, I really don't think they sound very fair.

Voss with his running capacity and physicality frankly sounds like a cross between Treacy and Tabs. And when Bombers fans describe his "problems" in the terms they do, it reminds me of some of the knocks people had against Treacy AND Tabs in their earlier seasons. Treacy had trouble taking marks in the early days, as did Tabs in his "hard hands" phase. Tabs was also very "lead and mark" early on, and didn't have a contested game -- but the older he got, the more he learnt.

Treacy wasn't kicking bags in his first season, and was splitting packs more than towering over them - if you're splitting packs open that means you're arriving at them late, and there were a few fans at the time who lambasted him and weren't yet convinced of his potential.

To me Voss sounds like a perfectly capable AFL footballer who just happened to be young and green, and needed more time to develop into a forward role at AFL level than his former team were willing to give him.Very glad he's getting that chance here, very happy to have him on board.

Welcome to the Dockers son -- you'll find we have a long proud history of finding diamonds in the rough, and bringing out the best in the people who play here, dating back to Barlow and before. Genuinely hope you make the best of your chances -- they will be rewarded... so go get 'em. 😎

People are saying he's a replacement for Corbs... How's his high five game?
Should be on point. Corbett has shared his personal Hi5 trainer with Vossy. Corbs is the best.
Hi Five Hand Clap GIF by THE BEARD STRUGGLE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back