Toast We need to change back to Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

The ones who actually watched games at Whitten Oval. For me, i was 11 in 97 so Etihad and the western Bulldogs is what i grew up with. it's what future member's have grown up with.

My two nieces, three nephews, my three kids and my cousins' kids (5) are all between 5 and 18, and all aware of the name Footscray for the team/club. They will be (hopefully) members for the next 60-70 years.

I understand the name Footscray and history also. I have been a member for the last 6 years and plan on being for the rest of my life. But i also understand why we have gone with Western as opposed to Footscray. I just feel going forward we are better off trying to make us the team of the west. A club that people in all area's outside of Footscray can call there own. Just feel if we resort back to the name Footscray we may alienate some of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could not agree more.

Can't you morons do anything right?

Plenty of stigma surrounding names like Collingwood and Adelaide, and they get by.

Love this. Footscray is a hub of creativity, diversity, culture and growth, and yet the people are still working class, passionate and tough as nails.

The stigma wanes with each passing day. We should be proud that we're from Footscray. There might've been a dark age in between, but we've got a long history of hard yakka and booming industry to look back on, and a bright future ahead.

Amen. Administrations of both Footscray and the AFL in the 80s have plenty to answer for. Any club was capable of signing a high profile sponsor, so long as they weren't bullied and coerced by the V/AFL, and so long as they weren't run by some weak willed milquetoast with no guts or sense of pride in the jumper.

Luckily our club wasn't first in line when Oakley had the sniff of blood in the nostrils, and that our supporters fought and fought and came away with their football club intact. We've got far more to thank than a vague geographical moniker.
This is something that should be in the marketing for the VFL club. Footscray is a major cultural hub in Melbourne, it also has a rich history that dates back to being a major part of Australia's recovery from the great depression. A simple play on the old "Too tough to die" or maybe "Too Footscray to die" would be brilliant.

Is it me or is it mostly the older members who want the name changed back to Footscray? Western Bulldogs is a more appealing name to future generations than what Footscray is. Personally i hope we stick with Western Bulldogs.

Same, for people like me from the country originally the Footscray name doesn't have as strong an attachment as the Bulldogs.

Returning to the Footscray name is a step backwards. The club made a strategic decision for the name change in the hope of influencing new fans from the western suburbs huge growth corridor.
Nth Melbourne changed their name for a couple of seasons, it wasn't for them. But we have now had 17 years, it is now our name and we need to move on and embrace it.
I am like another poster who when asked always reply that I barrack for the Doggies.

Returning to the Footscray name is a step backwards. The club made a strategic decision for the name change in the hope of influencing new fans from the western suburbs huge growth corridor.
Nth Melbourne changed their name for a couple of seasons, it wasn't for them. But we have now had 17 years, it is now our name and we need to move on and embrace it.
I am like another poster who when asked always reply that I barrack for the Doggies.

We need to move on an embrace it, yet you yourself identify the club by its moniker!!!

Nothing in your post shows using our actual name, not returning to it, is a step backwards.

And for those posters who believe it will cost us sponsorship, utter crap and diatribe. the club made an ill informed marketing decision that has not nor will never achieve what it purported to do. In fact it weakened the brand and penetration into the west of Melbourne. Footscray already represented it, it merely needed to ensure it got out there more to grow and consolidate.

A great post earlier in this thread by immortalike.

You may prefer Western, this is your choice, but cut the crap about young people preferring it, not true, cut the crap that it helps our drive into the west more than our actual name, not true. And to those who say you have moved on so should everyone, well thank you for your opinion, but my family has been supporting this club for 4 generations so if I want it to be proud of its past, where it is based and what it represents and not just be called some marketing slogan like the expansion clubs, then no I will not get over it. I will continue to pay memberships that cost around $1k per game due to scheduling but will never stop standing up for the Footscray football club.

We need to move on an embrace it, yet you yourself identify the club by its moniker!!!

Nothing in your post shows using our actual name, not returning to it, is a step backwards.

And for those posters who believe it will cost us sponsorship, utter crap and diatribe. the club made an ill informed marketing decision that has not nor will never achieve what it purported to do. In fact it weakened the brand and penetration into the west of Melbourne. Footscray already represented it, it merely needed to ensure it got out there more to grow and consolidate.

You may prefer Western, this is your choice, but cut the crap about young people preferring it, not true, cut the crap that it helps our drive into the west more than our actual name, not true. And to those who say you have moved on so should everyone, well thank you for your opinion, but my family has been supporting this club for 4 generations so if I want it to be proud of its past, where it is based and what it represents and not just be called some marketing slogan like the expansion clubs, then no I will not get over it. I will continue to pay memberships that cost around $1k per game due to scheduling but will never stop standing up for the Footscray football club.

Ask yourself whether your bitterness is helpful or harmful. Then take a good long hard look at yourself and ask yourself again.

This nonsense is gold to outsiders who want to paint us as a club divided on itself. Give it up for the love of the club, not for your own personal preferences/pride.

I disagree, The Western Bulldogs are designed to appeal to the entire Western Suburbs. The theme song is the team of the mighty west.
I followed the Dogs when they were Footscray mate I' m over 50 years of age. I can see what the club are trying to do and have achieved in the last 17 years. Community program's, multicultural program's. All this good work has been sold under the Western Bulldogs name. The team of the west that appeals to all people of the west and plays for the west.
Do you think Hawthorn will change their logo to the Mayblooms, Geelong the pivotonians, Melbourne the Fuschias plus plenty of other odd names.
We should never forget our history, but we should not take our eyes off the future.
I would be very annoyed if we went back to the Footscray name, without very good reasons for doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back