Mega Thread Training Reports Season Proper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh that did excite me, but Morabito's lack of time playing in back 50 could count against him. I think he may struggle in stoppages (Goodes is very smart in these) and 1 on 1 marking contests.

WAFL watches - how did go when he played in the back half when he played there earlier in the year.

He played some of his best footy off the hbf. Having said that with Silvagni back not sure if he will be needed with mimimal AFL match experience.

From memory it went pretty well, and I remember thinking at the time that he was being played there specifically as potential cover for Johnson, or maybe even being groomed as a replacement for Johnson.

He's been publicly served by the coach twice, omitted, hammered by the media and is on the outer with the fans. He now has an injury and is running by himself. You telling me the guy doesn't need a hug?

He probably does need a hug. I was responding to the insinuation that he is running by himself because he is being punished, or because other team members won't run with him. Solo lap running is 100% standard for people coming back from injury.

He's been publicly served by the coach twice, omitted, hammered by the media and is on the outer with the fans. He now has an injury and is running by himself. You telling me the guy doesn't need a hug?

Possibly needs a kick or two more than a hug!

Possibly needs a kick or two more than a hug!
Lyon harped on about giving Sonny hugs during his recovery. Can only imagine Colin's face watching their warm embrace at training
raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

That's a pretty weird way to interpret what Lost_Deputy said.

Actually, I interpreted it the same way. He may not read what I write, but this time, I think he is on the money. Sylvia is running around not as Colin No Mates, but as Colin Rehab.
I seriously hope he starts the preseason early and with a positive attitude. It could set up his whole 2015.

It's still more likely that he was running laps by himself because he is in a different phase of rehab to anyone else who is injured rather than being publicly snubbed and/or chucking a sad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's still more likely that he was running laps by himself because he is in a different phase of rehab to anyone else who is injured rather than being publicly snubbed and/or chucking a sad
Are there any tomatoes left to throw? These gallows are starting to itch

He played some of his best footy off the hbf. Having said that with Silvagni back not sure if he will be needed with mimimal AFL match experience.

Frankly I think Morra is potentially a dark horse for the sub role sometime soon. He won't play against Sydney I reckon, but he's still the most damaging Sub we've had in terms of coming onto the field and having an impact on the game.

I'm not saying his inclusion is a lock, or even remotely likely - I'm just saying it's far from impossible.

If Sun Zu is right, and all warfare is built on deception, then the idea of Morra's potential inclusion may have our opponents second-guessing their plans a bit.

Interesting times ahead. :D

Frankly I think Morra is potentially a dark horse for the sub role sometime soon. He won't play against Sydney I reckon, but he's still the most damaging Sub we've had in terms of coming onto the field and having an impact on the game.

I'm not saying his inclusion is a lock, or even remotely likely - I'm just saying it's far from impossible.

If Sun Zu is right, and all warfare is built on deception, then the idea of Morra's potential inclusion may have our opponents second-guessing their plans a bit.

Interesting times ahead. :D

I think his stats as the sub are extremely inflated. It's like one of those Bigfooty half truths like Silvagni keeping Franklin goalless and Kepler Bradley sidestepping Judd. Every player on the ground was looking for him at every opportunity and he came on when the game was well and truly iced.

edit - I reckon Crozier, Duffy and Simpson were all pretty damaging too and I reckon had more impact on the game than Mora.

Lol, I really doubt he's being socially ostracised. He's running laps by himself because he's getting over a hammy and can't keep up with the others.

I swear some people on this board live in a fantasy land. Professional AFL Teams are not high school.

Doubtful. It is definitely his attitude; Heck he may have even been looking surly.
Totally unacceptable behaviour.

I think his stats as the sub are extremely inflated. It's like one of those Bigfooty half truths like Silvagni keeping Franklin goalless and Kepler Bradley sidestepping Judd. Every player on the ground was looking for him at every opportunity and he came on when the game was well and truly iced.
How can it be a half truth that Silvagni kept Buddy goalless when he actually did? Its not half true it is or isn't. He played a great game.

On the potential inclusions to the back line some observations from this morning, I know its not the main session but . .
Smith trained fully with the main group. He's a seriously big unit now, it took me a while to realise who it was. On appearances he would be more than capable of taking on one of Sydneys falls but gee he's a terrible kick. As in shocking. He would have to play a Dawson type role where he hand balled off to a running player but if can keep someone out of the game then more power to him.

A Pearce trained mostly by himself one on one with a trainer doing agility and lateral movement type running exercises. Moller joined him later in the piece and they had a bit of kick to kick. Pearce has lovely skills, great ball handling and a tidy kick.

I actually didn't see Sylvia at all but I did see Moller doing laps by himself, pretty hard to imagine anyone could mistake the 2 though.

Every player on the ground was looking for him at every opportunity and he came on when the game was well and truly iced.

edit - I reckon Crozier, Duffy and Simpson were all pretty damaging too and I reckon had more impact on the game than Mora.

That's a fair point, they were looking for Morra in that game, which contributed to his stats somewhat. That being said, he still provided some lovely link-up run, and he also got hands on the ball through being open and threatening, not just 'cause he was on the park.

Simpson did a fine job as sub, but is ineligible to play finals through club suspension. Croz did well as a sub, but does not have Morra's all-round versatility, or height, or strength or speed... and is far more likely to play a full game off the bench IMO.

Remember, I'm not just talking about selection options, but selection obfuscation as well. I want our intended game plan in the finals to be as obscure and impenetrable to our opponents as possible. Exclude morra from the traveling party and our selection decisions are far easier to figure out - there are only so many roles that Croz as our potential sub could fill for example. Morra however could potentially play in any position except for the ruck , and therefore potentially free up almost any of our starting 22 to play out of their regular position half-way through the game if we wanted - much harder to plan against.

I think Morra could have real impact as a sub off his own bat - but I also think he makes planning for every eventuality a lot more difficult for opposing coaches; a dark-horse option if ever there was one.

Last edited:
The knock on SCNOS keeping Buddy goalless was the allusion that he benefited from it being a wet game. I think a wet game is being forecast for the weekend, so you know, yay!

Got down to training this morning and caught up with a few of the regular watchers but didn't see many of the regular training reporters .
The main group came out very late 9.50 am , they went through a light run and kick to kick .
They broke up into separate groups and went through the usual training drills . The season finished at about 11.15am
Rather than go through who was missing the players I was very happy to see training were Grey , Morra , Smith , Apeness Ballas and Spurr all running freely .

The BEST NEWS I got from Phil ( old guy that goes to every training session and has the inside info on everything Freo ) is that Josh is being retained on our list . The Girlfriend with all the kids has gone and the Club has bought a house for him to live in .
He is doing a coarse specially designed by the Club that he has to complete during the OFF SEASON and then will be back with the boys to do a full preseason .
I'm so wrapped that the Club are giving Josh this kind of support
Gone as in broken up, or gone home to be with her family to help raise the kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back