List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We shouldn't get rid of Taylor Hunt, his form last year b4 he got injured was amazing ( a goal kicking tagger who was good in heavy traffic) He was a huge loss to us when he got injured and when he came back he wasn't the same, but i still think he is worth persisting with cause we can see what he is capable of.

stevie j will be a one club player

what next, talk about trading enright?

it sure is silly season now

Hilarious isn't it?
Few short memories around here.
Sj obviously struggled in 2nd half of season with injuries.
Before that was performing as expected. Bit of time off to rest the body,then into preseason.
Be very surprised if he isn't firing again come round 1.
Wouldn't mind seeing SJ spend more time forward next year,with caddy,Christensen,horlin-smith,motlop,jansen and Lang getting more time through middle and at centre bounces.

Last edited:

Hilarious isn't it?
Few short memories around here.
Sj obviously struggled in 2nd half of season with injuries.
Before that was performing as expected. Bit of time off to rest the body,then into preseason.
Be very surprised if he isn't firing again come round 1.
Wouldn't mind seeing SJ spend more time forward next year,with caddy,Christensen,horlin-smith,motlop,jansen and Lang getting more time through middle and at centre bounces.

People need to remember two things about Johnson, if you're going to propose him playing forward more:

1. He can barely mark overhead.
2. He's not a long kick.

That's why he was moved to the midfield in the first place.

People need to remember two things about Johnson, if you're going to propose him playing forward more:

1. He can barely mark overhead.
2. He's not a long kick.

That's why he was moved to the midfield in the first place.

And

3. We had lost J.Corey and needed another contested ball winner in the middle.

The delisting of Pods caught me off guard last year, does anyone think we will pull a surprise move again this year and push one out the door? I can't think of one but they have been trying to avoid a mass exodus and we are staring at one end of next year at the moment.

The delisting of Pods caught me off guard last year, does anyone think we will pull a surprise move again this year and push one out the door? I can't think of one but they have been trying to avoid a mass exodus and we are staring at one end of next year at the moment.
Most are contracted I thought, makes it tough, unless they cop it on the chin just to take another draft pick?

Will there be a mass exodus at the end of 2015 though?

Enright will retire.
Lonergan likely (departure won't hurt anywhere near as badly if Frawley is on our list).
Kelly will retire or potentially be pushed out the door.
McIntosh's contract will be up and again, his loss won't be too badly felt if we pick up a durable ruck this offseason.

I would expect SJ and Bartel to want to play on into 2016. Based on Rivers' season (and the fact he's still under 30), he is likely to be offered a deal for 2016 unless he falls off a cliff next year with injury or form.

So we may lose Enright, Lonergan, Kelly and HMac this time next year - I'd say only Enright and Lonners are irreplaceable and if we land Frawley, we've already gone halfway to replacing the latter.

Enright will retire.
Lonergan likely (departure won't hurt anywhere near as badly if Frawley is on our list).
McIntosh's contract will be up and again, his loss won't be too badly felt if we pick up a durable ruck this offseason.

I would expect SJ and Bartel to want to play on into 2016. Based on Rivers' season (and the fact he's still under 30), he is likely to be offered a deal for 2016 unless he falls off a cliff next year with injury or form.

So we may lose Enright, Lonergan, Kelly and HMac this time next year - I'd say only Enright and Lonners are irreplaceable and if we land Frawley, we've already gone halfway to replacing the latter.

Mackie is another that I've heard may only have one more year left in him.

Additionally fpm, I can very much see a scenario where Kelly Potentially isn't in our best 22 every week, and so may play a number of games in the ressies. This can only be a good thing for the development of our kids,

I agree. I think we erred in not playing Bews in the finals especially since Kel carried a suspect ankle into the Hawks game and was injured again in the warmup against North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enright will retire.

Even that's a lot. Including Rivers as a 'likely' given his body (not his form) and potentially Mackie makes it quite an exodus. Then there's Menzel, Cowan and Vardy who we cross our fingers for, but there are no guarantees.

The way I see it, the best course of action is to improve our position in the draft this year and next as much as possible, and then at the end of next year encourage quite a few blokes to retire so as to have plenty of money to go after several <25 year old FAs.

As for improving our position in the draft this year by trading out players, I draw a line at Guthrie, and after that the club ought to consider whether guys like GHS and Murdoch are likely to overcome their limitations and become seriously good players, or just improve very marginally each season yet never amount to much more than solid contributors. I personally have my doubts with both these two (Murdoch especially), and if a club came sniffing with a decent offer, I'd be happy to see them ply their trade elsewhere. Smedts might have a bit of currency too, given he was a first round pick. Guys like Brown and Hunt I guess would only attract 3rd rounders.

Anyway, as I've said elsewhere, the list is way too light on for quality and quantity of youth. Some people are saying they just need time, as per their predecessors from a decade ago, but this is wide of the mark IMO. We had both more, and better picks back then, and when I look at the list now and count how many players we have that I believe are a) young enough to be around for a flag tilt in 3-5 years, and b) are already established, I come up with only 9 names:

Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Duncan, Caddy, Motlop, Bundy, Blicavs, Guthrie.

It is highly unlikely, IMO, that we will fill the remaining 13 positions with what we already have on the list. FA will acount for 2 or 3 spots. Let's say 50% of the up and coming crop turn into good players, so 4 of GHS, Murdoch, Smedts, Kersten, Thurlow, Hartman, Lang, and Jansen That's still 5 to 6 spots to go.

Unless the club is planning to bring in 7 or 8 free agents over the next 2 to 3 years, I feel the draft is the key. We're already guaranteed of having a pretty good top 7-8 players. It's the bottom 6 I'm more worried about.

Enright will retire.

The way I see it:

End of 2015
Enright, Lonergan, Kelly, Rivers (maybe?)
End of 2016
Johnson, Bartel, Mackie, Rivers

Guys, we've got Jansen, therefore our premiership window is open as long as he plays... ;)

Just as long as there is no pressure on him….:eek:

Go Catters

2015 Retirements:

Enright, Thurlow takes his position.
Lonergan, Kolodjashnij takes his position (If we don't get Frawley, also Kolo will be given chances in 2015).
Kelly, Bews will take his position.

We'll be right.

Ah yeah, I'd forgotten Mackie. I reckon he would want to play on in 2016 but whether his form warrants it is another question.

Plus stokes is 31 next year,tv is a free agent and who knows how menz will go. Could br a big turnover next year

Enright will retire.

Selwood seemed to think that there would be no retirements when he was on TV last night.

Anyway, as I've said elsewhere, the list is way too light on for quality and quantity of youth. Some people are saying they just need time, as per their predecessors from a decade ago, but this is wide of the mark IMO. We had both more, and better picks back then, and when I look at the list now and count how many players we have that I believe are a) young enough to be around for a flag tilt in 3-5 years, and b) are already established, I come up with only 9 names:

Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Duncan, Caddy, Motlop, Bundy, Blicavs, Guthrie.

But did we? We were thinking that in 2006? I'm not sure we were.

Let's go through some other names on our list, that all played finals this year for us, and when they were drafted:

Horlin-Smith - 2010 (4 years)
Smedts - 2010 (4 years)
Thurlow - 2012 (2 years)
McCarthy - 2011 (3 years)
Walker - 2011* (3 years)
Murdoch - 2011 (3 years)

(* Rookie draft)

So, without even allowing for Lang or Jensen or Kolojdashnij, there are 6 fairly promising (at worst) players. None have been at the club more than 4 years. Now compare to say.....2006. All of the now glorious 1999 draft group - Corey, Chapman, Ling, Enright - were in their seventh season at the club. Ablett, Bartel, Johnson and Kelly were in their fifth. So I'm not quite convinced those 9 are the correct players anyway, and there's no guarantee as to who will make up our next side in flag contention. We'll see who steps up next year.

Plus stokes is 31 next year,tv is a free agent and who knows how menz will go. Could br a big turnover next year

Could be absolutely enormous if they aren't careful. I get the feeling that our list management is sometimes done with the 'best possible' outcome; I would have thought it would be more prudent to take the 'worst possible' as a better way to draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back