Opinion Ken Hinkley Envy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That should read TEAM.
We have multiple injuries, and ageing champions, and younger players who are not quite there yet.
That gives us a team capable of low top 8 finish this year, not top 4. We are where we deserve to be given the status of our list, nothing to blame CS for.
What were you saying when we finished 17-5, equal with Haw/Syd, despite looking clearly inferior all year?
And we have beaten NM-4th, Haw -2nd, Freo - 5th, Ess-7th, Rich - 8th, during the year. Still very commendable.
And, we will start to drop anyway, better get used to it, whether we had CS, Clarko, or Bomber.

Agree. I had us as a top 6 team this year. We have gained more than we have lost IMO. Finally losses for the younger guys shows the distance between where they are and where they need to be. The older blokes have seen that they can't be carried at all. And once again injures have left us short of our best available.

That does not directly equal a bad coach for me.

Go Catters

1 final win in 3 years against an inexperienced Port Adelaide in Melbourne with a fairly similar team says to me that things need to change!
We were very lucky to finish with 17 wins and if you think any different then you are just being nieve.
Good teams have worked out how we play and how to beat us and it's Chris Scott's job to adapt because we still have the cattle in my opinion but haven't been utilised correctly; bold changes need to be made

Sack the coach? Clear 15 player off the list? Trade Hawkins? What are these bold moves you speak of? Please show me what bold moves a 17-5 team need to make.

Go Catters

1 final win in 3 years against an inexperienced Port Adelaide in Melbourne with a fairly similar team says to me that things need to change!
We were very lucky to finish with 17 wins and if you think any different then you are just being nieve.
Good teams have worked out how we play and how to beat us and it's Chris Scott's job to adapt because we still have the cattle in my opinion but haven't been utilised correctly; bold changes need to be made
We beat Port in a final last year, we wouldn't this year.
We got 17 wins, had a poor % relatively, and some of those wins WERE lucky.
What is naive here?
Why not accept we are a 5-8 side this year as we are?
You say we have the cattle- many are out injured, many are just down on form, overall, our cattle are not what they were in 2011. Would you expect that? Do you think that every year we are destined to play finals and win them?
SJ, Bundy, HMc, THunt, Simpson, Burbury, all unavailable in our most recent final - I regard 5 of those in our best 22.
Mackie, Kelly, Motlop, all looked sore, or disinterested, and I prefer sore, but that may be naive.
We played relative newbies in finals- Walker, McCarthy, Brown, Thurlow- that is a bonus for our future. And Bllicavs carried our ruck division.
Do you honestly think teams would have been as fearful of our 22 last week as in the past? No way. A team's bottom 6 is a good representation of their talent, and we are down, just a statement of fact.

Last edited:

I am not jealous of hinkley as i think scott has done a great job with a rebuilding list.

I am jealous of port's fitness staff though,the last two years our finals have been wrecked with injuries and port have done well with getting guys available.

I am not jealous of hinkley as i think scott has done a great job with a rebuilding list.

I am jealous of port's fitness staff though,the last two years our finals have been wrecked with injuries and port have done well with getting guys available.
Wait til their list has played 10 years of finals.

Sack the coach? Clear 15 player off the list? Trade Hawkins? What are these bold moves you speak of? Please show me what bold moves a 17-5 team need to make.

Go Catters
Zac Dawson....Nah not even I can type that with a straight face.:p

We're doing quite alright imo. He speaks of being naive, it's naive to expect to be the best every season. Sure that's the goal, that's what they strive for, that's what drives them in pre-season. In reality it is very hard to achieve year in year out.

As for bold move if it qualifies as such. I would do absolutely everything possible to lure Dangerfield

Loved Kenny as a player and he was huge as Assistant Coach during 04-08. Was happy to see Port give him the coaching job and wish him all the best.

Any claim that we made the wrong decision in 2010 was found wrong twelve months later when Chris Scott held the premiership cup. It is extraordinary the excuses that some people invent as to why we didn't win a premiership in a particular year, but it is even more extraordinary to hear Geelong fans dismiss the 2011 flag and Scott's role with the "he inherited a great team" type of comments. A great team alone will not win you a flag and Geelong fans of all people should be the first to understand this.

Scott was very humble in 2011 and stated that yes, the administration was excellent, his fellow coaches were excellent, the players were fantastic and he made an extraordinary comment just after the game something like "You cannot overestimate the role of luck in winning a premiership", which was both humble and probably accurate given Collingwood's niggles and missing mojo at that time of the year. Since then we have finished well losing many great players, copped some massive injuries to some of our best young players and lost others (Bundy) for reasons unrelated to anything at the club. I like everyone else get annoyed with decisions about dropping/dumping/persisting with players and match plans and the way coaches cliche the media but at the end of the day we have won a flag finished in a prelim, and outside the top 4 just once, in four seasons, and here we are looking a little better than the same time last year. Our golden era is over, are we still contenders? Yes we are. Can we win a flag? I don't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't give a s**t if he's extended his contract at Port as we have a Premiership coach.
BTW coaches contracts are meaningless these days anyway.Most coaches that get boned usually have a year or more left on their contracts.
Good of you to let us know you don't give a s**t. Will we be receiving similar notifications from you on all topics of no interest to you?

Of course, the other option would be just not to post when you don't care...

Good of you to let us know you don't give a s**t. Will we be receiving similar notifications from you on all topics of no interest to you?

Of course, the other option would be just not to post when you don't care...

Congrats on the 10k post fella. Plenty of quality with you. :thumbsu:

GO Catters

No envy. We have a good coach. No coach in the history of the game has won the flag without rucks. Been our prob a couple of times when we had a sniff. Unless Ken is a real McCoy faith healer, he would have made no difference.
So true, can't win it without the cattle.

No doubt in my mind that during the golden years we played Hinkleys brand of football, running, skilled, accurate , exciting-just watch a Port Adelaide game from last year(and presumably this year).
Happy for Ken and if it is not us then would love to see him hold up the Premiership Cup. Good to have an ex Geelong player in that position rather than all of those ex hawthorn mob.
And Remember folks Chris Scott promised a premiership in 2015 he has ben working toward that since 2011-not sure that he, like the experts,- expected us to win that year.

No doubt in my mind that during the golden years we played Hinkleys brand of football, running, skilled, accurate , exciting-just watch a Port Adelaide game from last year(and presumably this year).
Happy for Ken and if it is not us then would love to see him hold up the Premiership Cup. Good to have an ex Geelong player in that position rather than all of those ex hawthorn mob.
And Remember folks Chris Scott promised a premiership in 2015 he has ben working toward that since 2011-not sure that he, like the experts,- expected us to win that year.
As long as you temper that exciting style of Hinkley's playing days with the fact that he was unaccountable as a player, and had no GF success as a player with Geelong. But exciting, yes.

Already said as much in another thread, Geelong made a serious mistake and Ken won't be leaving Port now . Strikes me as a loyal guy and Port offered him a job when no one else would.

Very dissapointed we let him go

For some reason Hinkley couldn't get a top job anywhere, it wasn't just Geelong that missed out on him, he applied for a lot of vacant positions and was overlooked all over the place. Port only took him because he was the last man standing! Now of course they will twist that around and say "he was our man from the outset". No matter what anyone says at Port... Hinkley was not on their radar two years ago. Richmond, St.Kilda, Melbourne, Adelaide and Geelong all had a chance to have Hinkley as coach. Although in Geelong's defence at the end of the 2009 season, Hinkley was announced as an assistant coach at the Gold Coast Suns knowing Mark Thompson had 2 more years on his contract. Geelong didn't know that Thompson would leave with a year to go? Geelong then interviewed him as Thompson's replacement for 2011 and chose Chris Scott, he won a flag. C'est la vie. I have no idea why Geelong didn't pick him?
Ken Hinkley is a great coach and probably should've been given the Geelong job, but the fact is he took on the basket cases and has triumphed. If he wins a flag with Port this year then it goes down as one of the greatest coaching performances of all time. I am a great admirer of Ken Hinkley, he leaves Ross Lyon in his wake IMO. Port were very wise to lock him in until 2018. Best of luck to him.

Hinkley almost won a Brownlow medal as a player, he only lost by 3 votes!
Ditto Rod Blake
Brownlows are a reflection of noticeable players. No doubt KH was- very classy, silky. Nobody will dispute that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back