James Frawley to Fremantle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 year deal and 4 mill. Wowee! Why would he knock that back? He'd be crazy to pass that up wouldn't he? Unless Geelong can offer something similar.

If the club actually made that offer... I'd be very surprised, and a bit disappointed to be honest. 7 years on that coin is a huge decision to make from a list management perspective.

If the club actually made that offer... I'd be very surprised, and a bit disappointed to be honest. 7 years on that coin is a huge decision to make from a list management perspective.

Would be amazed as the longest previous contract was around 5 years and Frawley is a long way of that quality. Coin is possibly not unreasonable for a real need.

Would be amazed as the longest previous contract was around 5 years and Frawley is a long way of that quality. Coin is possibly not unreasonable for a real need.
Would be quite happy if we pitched that 7 and 4 offer to Carlisle instead. But at frawley's age and skill set I just don't see him being worth that kind of offer.

Though to be fair I think we'd have no chance in prying Carlisle away from tge dons.

o_O

He isn't seven year material. Our desperation is really being shown, the club knows hes Geelong bound, hence the long term contract and cash.

We should be offering Carlise that type of contract/money.

People keep saying that, but it's chalk and cheese.

Frawley is a FA, Carlisle would take a court proceeding, a suitable trade for the Dons and the player himself wanting to be traded out - he and his manager have stated he doesn't want to leave.

Of course nobody in their right mind would take Frawley if you could get Carlisle at the same price - nothing personal Mike, you're not the only one, but we need to stop comparing the two; one is a remote possibility, the other is fantasy league.

People keep saying that, but it's chalk and cheese.

Frawley is a FA, Carlisle would take a court proceeding, a suitable trade for the Dons and the player himself wanting to be traded out - he and his manager have stated he doesn't want to leave.

Of course nobody in their right mind would take Frawley if you could get Carlisle at the same price - nothing personal Mike, you're not the only one, but we need to stop comparing the two; one is a remote possibility, the other is fantasy league.
I get where you're coming from, the Carlisle comment was more tongue in cheek than anything as I know we're no chance of getting him. I'd like Frawley, but not at seven years, hes nothing special, realistically hes had one really good year and done not much else. FA is working a charm for him, hes gonna benefit massively from it getting hundreds of thousands of dollars more than hes worth.

I get where you're coming from, the Carlisle comment was more tongue in cheek than anything as I know we're no chance of getting him. I'd like Frawley, but not at seven years, hes nothing special, realistically hes had one really good year and done not much else. FA is working a charm for him, hes gonna benefit massively from it getting hundreds of thousands of dollars more than hes worth.

Yeah, true enough that.

We're in a bit of a bind - we're going to have to pay overs to get his sort here, we need his sort and there's not much of his sort to begin with. It might be paying way overs or nothing, given what's at stake, it's a big call.

I'm leaning towards baulking at such long term deals too, he's a good footballer, no doubt, but he's not superstar material, he's far from consistent over his career and even his very best is great, but it's not GAJ, Pendels or Fyfe we're talking about - or even, as you're pointing out, the next rung down in Ryder or Carlisle. I don't know? It's a lot of eggs going into one basket if we offer him such a long term deal, I don't like it myself either.

Would be quite happy if we pitched that 7 and 4 offer to Carlisle instead. But at frawley's age and skill set I just don't see him being worth that kind of offer.

Though to be fair I think we'd have no chance in prying Carlisle away from tge dons.
And Carlisle may be banned for 6 month still.

Wait, but when he gets to his 6th season he should be getting that veterans payment. Some of his salary paid by the afl and it's outside the salary cap. Amirite? So it's not that bad?

One of the potential benefits of going hard for Frawley is that if we do land him he is sort of paving the way. Much like Lyon signing with us everyone stood up and had a rethink about what Fremantle is about. I suspect a few more players may do the same if Fraley signs and it may be a little easier in the future to attract the players we require. The first big signing will be the hardest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the potential benefits of going hard for Frawley is that if we do land him he is sort of paving the way. Much like Lyon signing with us everyone stood up and had a rethink about what Fremantle is about. I suspect a few more players may do the same if Fraley signs and it may be a little easier in the future to attract the players we require. The first big signing will be the hardest.

I know it's all based on a rumoured 7 years x $600k ($4.2m) but if near to correct even, one of the potential downsides is the pressure it will put on our cap for future resignings. I know it was 3 years ago now, but Bondy's attitude back then was revealed by this quote when we did not match Melbourne's offer for Clarke:

''If we were to match Melbourne’s offer to Mitch it would make him the highest paid player at our club over the next four seasons and we are not prepared to compromise our list management model to achieve that outcome,” Bond said in a statement.

Melbourne ended up offering around $800k per annum - so $3.2m for the 4 year contract. At that time, we did not want to compromise our list management.

I think the salary cap has increased by $1.2m (15%) from 2012 to 2015 and the times are a changing given the lengthier contract to Buddy but it's fair to assume the club's attitude to list management is going through a rethink right now if the Frawley rumours are about the mark.

Even at 6 years x $600k, Frawley would become our highest paid player (based on total contract value). It's a big call and might turn out to be a brave one too but it'll up the ante on list management for sure. Bondy lost his hair last time around.....

By the way Mr Tazmania, I'm new to the board but thanks heaps for the stadium updates over time!

I'm a bit miffed that we could be offering frawley 7 years and fyfe only signed for three...

Frawley for 5 I could handle, 7 takes him through to 33 which is pretty generous I would have thought, and all in the back of my mind is that nagging thought that if we don't win the flag next year we will have to begin rebuilding which goes against the premise of offering frawley the drug money he will be getting

I know it's all based on a rumoured 7 years x $600k ($4.2m) but if near to correct even, one of the potential downsides is the pressure it will put on our cap for future resignings. I know it was 3 years ago now, but Bondy's attitude back then was revealed by this quote when we did not match Melbourne's offer for Clarke:

''If we were to match Melbourne’s offer to Mitch it would make him the highest paid player at our club over the next four seasons and we are not prepared to compromise our list management model to achieve that outcome,” Bond said in a statement.

Melbourne ended up offering around $800k per annum - so $3.2m for the 4 year contract. At that time, we did not want to compromise our list management.

I think the salary cap has increased by $1.2m (15%) from 2012 to 2015 and the times are a changing given the lengthier contract to Buddy but it's fair to assume the club's attitude to list management is going through a rethink right now if the Frawley rumours are about the mark.

Even at 6 years x $600k, Frawley would become our highest paid player (based on total contract value). It's a big call and might turn out to be a brave one too but it'll up the ante on list management for sure. Bondy lost his hair last time around.....

By the way Mr Tazmania, I'm new to the board but thanks heaps for the stadium updates over time!

600k now is a lot different to 800k 3-4 years ago which is probably the equivalent of million dollars now. Frawley has a long history of performing, and he is also less injury prone.

I have no issue with 7 year, 4 million dollar deal as long as there is 1 or 2 performance clauses in the contract he is almost exactly what we need (If was more of a forward he would be perfect).

I expect the salary cap to go up over 20% during the next 7 years.

I'm a bit miffed that we could be offering frawley 7 years and fyfe only signed for three...

Frawley for 5 I could handle, 7 takes him through to 33 which is pretty generous I would have thought, and all in the back of my mind is that nagging thought that if we don't win the flag next year we will have to begin rebuilding which goes against the premise of offering frawley the drug money he will be getting

Fye's situation was deliberate and strategic. He wants to do a Frawley (and some) in 3 years time when he enters free agency. He's going to be our Buddy.

Fye's situation was deliberate and strategic. He wants to do a Frawley (and some) in 3 years time when he enters free agency. He's going to be our Buddy.

Yeah I guess, being that restricted free agent gives us first crack... I guess it just seems a little backwards to me (although it does make sense). Anyway I doubt frawley will come.. He is driving his figures up. If we get him then great but if we don't, let's make Geelong or the hawks pay through the nose for him

600k now is a lot different to 800k 3-4 years ago which is probably the equivalent of million dollars now. Frawley has a long history of performing, and he is also less injury prone.

I have no issue with 7 year, 4 million dollar deal as long as there is 1 or 2 performance clauses in the contract he is almost exactly what we need (If was more of a forward he would be perfect).

I expect the salary cap to go up over 20% during the next 7 years.

Not sure if a typo. Did you mean 200%?

I think people need to realise that any contract over 7 years would be heavily front loaded. Frawley would be making closer to $800k over the first 2 years then it would diminish further as the contract goes on. Thats how Sydney has been able to do it (COLA aside) and manage their list productively. The likes of Munday and Jono will also be coming to the end of their big $ in 3 years so frees up further space to be taken hopefully by our young guys.

The talk on here of Frawley only ever having 1 good year (AA year) is rubish. He has been a quality performer in a struggling side. It's like saying Bell, Hasleby and Pavlich were no good when we had bad years, simply inaccurate. Also the money being offered is pretty on par for a free agent. I didnt see any baulking at the $ being talked about for Mundy perhaps leaving. He's never been an AA and while he's one of the leagues best if you're simply comparing AA selection as the bench mark then Frawley has him covered. I'd happily offer Mundy 7 years and $4m if he was 25.

Not a typo, although probably underestimating it. Maybe 50% would be more accurate.

I think it would be higher than that although I obviously exist in a place with different inflation and growth than Australia.

Obviously the economy is a little unpredictable, but the rough stats say Australian house prices double every 7 years, and wages would track that, albeit imperfectly, or else it is not sustainable.

How does your current salary compare to 7 years ago?

I think it would be higher than that although I obviously exist in a place with different inflation and growth than Australia.

Obviously the economy is a little unpredictable, but the rough stats say Australian house prices double every 7 years, and wages would track that, albeit imperfectly, or else it is not sustainable.

How does your current salary compare to 7 years ago?

I am fairly young mate, so my wage is growing naturally through greater experience.

If the salary goes up 50% or 100% over the 7 years, the point I was trying to make is that 600k in the 7th year will be like 300k-433k this year which is not a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back