Unofficial Preview Early Thoughts - Sydney Swans vs Hawthorn Grand Final Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the Swans were 'too tall' winning 22-2 in the last 24 games and 1 of those losses was the mass resting Richmond game! Until Mitchell can kick, not a chance. If the Swans can get a top 5 pick for him, take it and run Heeney, Mills and Dunkley are better. They all can kick!

YOU CHANGED YOUR TEAM!

Hey.. hope some of you actually take the time to read this instead of going "bias hawks supporter... boo!"

I am hoping for a ripper of a game and I will be there to cheer on the brown and gold of course but cannot wait for what is the best 2 teams of the year playing it out on the biggest day in september. I think we should possibly go another tall in our side to combat such a potent tall forward line of Franklin (grrrrrrrr), Tippett, Goodes and Reid, ANYONE but Schoenmakers I'm hoping because that guy is a dud even in our VFL side, just plain terrible. Is there any injury cloud over Reid? I suppose he will have the same problems as Lewis has this week trying to get to 100%. This will be a classic midfield duel with the likes of Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell hopefully, Langford who is emerging as a superstar in and under player vs the strength of Hannebery, Jack, Kennedy and Parker. I'm thinking clearances are going to be key. I think our forward line might have a little bit over your backline with Teddy Richards not being what he used to be and Grundy being a bit iffy on the talls like Roughead and Hale. Isaac Smith and Rioli vs Jetta in the pace matchup bursting through the middle will be awesome to watch.. I still wish we had Benny McGlynn :( wish the bloke all the best out and out gun.. Bruest is a handy replacement though and Puopolo can weave some magic.. Bit worried about our smallish backline against your monsters though.. will be a great grand final and I hope you guys enjoy it if you do manage to win it!

Cannot wait to be at the G this Saturday! #gohawks!

Didnt read this bias hawks ramblings :p

1 : We break even in the midfield unlike R18
2 : We use the ball well going I50 and get them one out ( who ever plays on Gibson drags him away not allowing his natural role being 3rd man up ). Same goes for Hodge as both are very good readers of the play and will love the high ball IF we bomb away.
3 : Please stop Lewis being 3rd man up in ruck contest , its a set play and they almost win the clearance every time.
4: When we have the momentum please take advantage , repeat inside 50 and not kicking straight and putting score board pressure on will kiss us as Hawks with less chances will make us pay and swing it back there way.
5 : Buddy needs to kick straight early on otherwise the occasion might get the better of him.
6 : McVeigh to negate Mitchell setting them up of HB.
7: Hope we get super Ted

Last edited:
Lewis wont be able to jump off that leg if he plays
Buddy loves the big one's , wont affect him if he misses a couple, as its the damage he will do higher up the ground that will be the key.
Tippett was sensational last Friday, not just for his goals , but his work rate and his attack on the ball when it hits the ground. If he has a good game, the arrogant ones will be in trouble.
GO BLOODS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a question of McVeigh MID and Reid Defender/Forward

or

Mitchell MID and McVeigh Defender/Forward

I prefer the stats of the second two combined, you dont. End of story.

crash time...zzzzzz

Except McViegh would be competing with the hawks talls, where he'd Less effective.
we then lose his awareness and drive through the midfield plus reid as a strong marking target which allows defenders to double team someone.

we make the adjustment you want we weaken the midfield significantly. while not improving our the swingman role.

Further more it means we have no one other than Tippett to pitch hit in the ruck.

Versatility is why reids in the side, If he's fit he plays.
Stats are not a key indicator in what reid does, he was killing it in both finals matches especially against the roo's.

move away from the stats for a moment and look out our he draws defenders up forward, how many times he drifts across for key spoils, or closes down space forcing the opposition to hesitate or kick to a contest.

They aren't like for like and considering how damaging the hawks are when you create a turnover, throwing in mitchell who's had no finals games and kicks like a blind, drunk, 3 legged mule it would be suicidal.

Lewis wont be able to jump off that leg if he plays
Buddy loves the big one's , wont affect him if he misses a couple, as its the damage he will do higher up the ground that will be the key.
Tippett was sensational last Friday, not just for his goals , but his work rate and his attack on the ball when it hits the ground. If he has a good game, the arrogant ones will be in trouble.
GO BLOODS

Firstly, congrats to the Swans for making another grand final.

- Lewis is suffering a hamstring problem and I think he might struggle to be 100% fit by next week
- As for Franklin, the only danger to the Swans forward line is if Lake plays well and when he does while playing on Franklin he usually has Franklin covered.
- Overall Hawthorn were lucky to scrape through against Port.. Another few minutes would have seen Port run over them. They look tired, their depth will be tested. Rioli wont have the impact that Hawthorn fans are hoping, he was very rusty yesterday in the VFL GF and there's no way IMO that he's going to be able to capture 100% fitness and form in 6 days.

Overall I think you have Hawthorn covered. Good luck next Saturday

- Lewis is suffering a hamstring problem and I think he might struggle to be 100% fit by next week
- As for Franklin, the only danger to the Swans forward line is if Lake plays well and when he does while playing on Franklin he usually has Franklin covered.
- Overall Hawthorn were lucky to scrape through against Port.. Another few minutes would have seen Port run over them. They look tired, their depth will be tested. Rioli wont have the impact that Hawthorn fans are hoping, he was very rusty yesterday in the VFL GF and there's no way IMO that he's going to be able to capture 100% fitness and form in 6 days.

why would they put lake on buddy when he's the only option that can shut down tippett for an entire game?

Lewis should be fine and is in cracking form, it was just a corky.
if rioli plays i'll eat my hat.

What you have argued is to change our structure, for the purpose of fitting in Mitchell.

Why do we need to fit in Mitchell when we have won 22 games with our current structure?
And, our current structure actually works. If Reid kicks straight, Buddy 5 , Tippet 4, Goodes 3, Reid 2. Hawks have to man up on each of those with a proper defender or they will get carved up. McVeigh forward will just see Hodge peel off and be third up at every forward contest.
No. I have argued IF Reid is injured this would be a good option, its too late to change now. But as soon as anyone discusses options or possibilities some tragic loses their s**t like a religious fundamentalist hearing blasphomy.

Last edited:
I for one, welcome the hawks bringing back cyril and playing a 75% lewis..

There bottom 6 are very average players, throw in these 2 underdone/hurt players and imo our job is made easier.

Surely they wont play rioli thou, it would be desperate, he's already cost them 1 grand final!!

Go Bloods 2014

1 : We break even in the midfield unlike R18
2 : We use the ball well going I50 and get them one out ( who ever plays on Gibson drags him away not allowing his natural role being 3rd man up ). Same goes for Hodge as both are very good readers of the play and will love the high ball IF we bomb away.
3 : Please stop Lewis being 3rd man up in ruck contest , its a set play and they almost win the clearance every time.
4: When we have the momentum please take advantage , repeat inside 50 and not kicking straight and putting score board pressure on will kiss us as Hawks with less chances will make us pay and swing it back there way.
5 : Buddy needs to kick straight early on otherwise the occasion might get the better of him.
6 : McVeigh to negate Mitchell setting them up of HB.
7: Hope we get super Ted

The matchups on Hill/Smith with be crucial too I think. Outside run was where we got exposed last time.

Who do you reckon goes to Hill? Cunnigham? Head to head with Jetta?

why would they put lake on buddy when he's the only option that can shut down tippett for an entire game?

Franklin is the game turner for this one IMO and if Franklin plays deep it wouldnt surprise me to see Clarkson use Lake on Franklin. I havent been keeping up on Sydney games however if Franklin is used more up the ground between half forward and center then as you suggested Clarkson would be forced to use Lake on Tippet instead.

Franklin is the game turner for this one IMO and if Franklin plays deep it wouldnt surprise me to see Clarkson use Lake on Franklin. I havent been keeping up on Sydney games however if Franklin is used more up the ground between half forward and center then as you suggested Clarkson would be forced to use Lake on Tippet instead.

rarely play buddy deep, when you see him dep its either because he's peeled off and lost a defender or tippett wasn't up the ground due to pitch hitting in the ruck.
plays classic half fwd flank with us.

The matchups on Hill/Smith with be crucial too I think. Outside run was where we got exposed last time.

Who do you reckon goes to Hill? Cunnigham? Head to head with Jetta?

Yeh I think Cunningham and Jetta are the natural match ups. The coaches like playing Jetta on a dangerous runner of the opposition's, so I expect it to happen again and Cunningham is the natural run with player of the dangerous runners as well.

I'd go with Cunningham on Hill and Jetta on Smith.

Thanks for your input.

Some stats nerd may correct me and make me look a fool, but IIRC Rioli never troubles us anyway. So I agree, if he's hopping around out there half-cooked, all the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back