Preview Hawks vs the COLA $wans and the man they call Juda$ - it's the big dance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He won't be able to run with Roughead - given his versatility. So who does he match up against? Gunston, Breust???

He doesn't need to. If Roughead runs up the ground Richards will simply stand in the hole and martial the defence, a role he is exceptional at. The Hawks are going to need something a little more creative than Roughead simply running.

Just like the Cats did in '08. And that Cat side was better than this COLA side....

Much better. Its pretty hilarious really. Despite our decimated list, losing our coach and having a shorter pre season than the Bloodz we ultimately finished 2% behind them with the exact same wins. We even managed to tie our home / away fixtures (1-1) with a net-negative 9 points from the two games.

So we play them on our home deck (where we are 12-1 and they are 2-1), as the defending premier and in our 3rd Grand Final in succession. Its pretty amazing that we are underdogs when you stack the deck that way...it has more than a hint of 2003 Grand Final about it!

Not here to troll, was only in here to say well done on getting over Port in a close one and best of luck for the Granny next week.

Then I read the above tripe ..... you young fella or whatever you are, you are an embarrassment to yourself, your Club and to football in general. AFL is a sport, although it be professional and with high stakes it is still a sport that is not BOXING or UFC.

To think that a fan of "The Family Club" thinks yet alone writes crap like that has me wondering wtf has happened to our Aussie culture. Anyway! you may or may not win the fight but you will not win the game if your side goes in with that kinda s**t in mind.

Best of luck to all the other Hawks fans, not to Hedgehodgy or his sidekicks who likes that post.

GAGF

He doesn't need to. If Roughead runs up the ground Richards will simply stand in the hole and martial the defence, a role he is exceptional at. The Hawks are going to need something a little more creative than Roughead simply running.

That's a fair point. That said if you push Roughead up the ground (and therefore open up our forward line) that plays into the hands of Bruest and Gunston that would prefer lead-up options. Honestly I can see this match up suiting us quite nicely. It seems almost everyone has forgotten that Sydney have lost 4 of the last 5 against us (and the game we lost was a game where we went in without Lake and Mitchell), this week is following the script of a Geelong v Hawthorn game circa 2011-2012 where we were pumped up to all hell in the lead up to the game only to succumb

The key for Hawthorn as it has in every game we've lost against the Cats over the last 6 years is to lower our eyes and look for the best option in side the forward 50. If Roughead pinch hits across the HF line that provides us with an avenue to control the delivery inside our forward 50.

...and our forward 50 efficiency is vastly superior to the Bloodz.

One out

So we play them on our home deck (where we are 12-1 and they are 2-1), as the defending premier and in our 3rd Grand Final in succession. Its pretty amazing that we are underdogs when you stack the deck that way...it has more than a hint of 2003 Grand Final about it!

It's bloody hard, I keep going either way like last year's prelim and grand final. Over the last hour something hit me and i've become more confident than I have been previously. Both sides are evenly matched - strong midfield, strong forwards, strong (but occasionally suspect) backline.... supporter bias but I think our defenders are not as bad as Sydney's, if Hawthorn win the midfield battle... it'll make winning the premiership easier.

I'll sound defeatist but I'm ready to concede the battle of the ruck's, especially if McEvoy is chosen, however he would be an asset in other areas.

Port Adelaide pushed both Sydney and Hawthorn this year. Just because Sydney toyed with North Melbourne and made mince meat out of them (they've been up and down all year long so they were due to lose especially with the matches they had played in recent weeks) the media think Sydney are unstoppable (we stopped them not long ago :p). It's one of those peculiar situations like when Fremantle beat Geelong all the time, Hawthorn beat Fremantle but Hawthorn couldn't beat Geelong. i can't explain Hawthorn's loss against North Melbourne this year...... but we finished 2nd on the ladder for a reason.

Hawthorn can do it, but will they ? we'll find out saturday afternoon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think how we man up defensively is only part of the battle - I'm curious as to what our overall defensive tactics will look like.

I'd like to see the following:

Lake to wear Tippett like a glove - he won't leave the forward 30 often.
Gibson to Franklin, I'd love to have Spangher here with Gibbo to be 3rd up on both Tippett and Franklin but I really like how Gibbo took responsibility in the 2nd half of the last clash.
Stratton to Goodes - he was nothing short of awesome against Wingard
Spangher to Reid/Resting Ruck or to assist with Franklin if he's inside 50, otherwise to assist with Tippett
Duryea on what ever mid they have forward (e.g. Jack, Parker McGlynn).

I'm okay with Franklin running free up the wings as long as we have 2 big guys back on Tippett for the long kicks. Sydney basically like to clear out the forward 50 and rely on quick long kicks into Tippett - we have to be prepared for this.

Due to the offensive nature of Sydney's forward setup it might allow Suckling and Birchall to get a free run and get us some good metres from half back.

In the Round 18 game, we funnelled all our rebound through Goodes' man because he either can't or won't chase back any more. It's why he kicked 4 - when we lost the ball, he was free and unmarked. It didn't help that Tippett doesn't chase either - in fact the only one of their forwards who will apply defensive pressure is Buddy. If we can run off Tippett and Goodes we can create the mismatch in midfield which will help immensely.

In the Round 18 game, we funnelled all our rebound through Goodes' man because he either can't or won't chase back any more. It's why he kicked 4 - when we lost the ball, he was free and unmarked. It didn't help that Tippett doesn't chase either - in fact the only one of their forwards who will apply defensive pressure is Buddy. If we can run off Tippett and Goodes we can create the mismatch in midfield which will help immensely.

:thumbsu:

Tippet is slow as s**t, Goodes' body is cooked.

We have a decisive advantage in the ruck. Hale and Ceglar/McEvoy must win well and give our mids first use of the ball. Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne and Lewis must also stand tall. Apply the same manic pressure that was applied to Fremantle last year. Don't worry about our kicking game. Opportunities will come. This is going to be a dogfight and we can beat them at there own game. We can cover their forwards. Gibson to Franklin, Stratton to Goodes, Lake to Tippett and Spangher to Reid. I originally thought Shoenmakers had a chance to come into the side but I think the only change will be Junior for Simpkin. Play him permanently in a pocket and use Suckling as the sub.

If I was picking the team I would have Shoenmakers and Sewell in the side for Spangher and Suckling. This is a proud team that has been very good for a long time. A big challenge lies ahead but the self belief is there and I would not be surprised if we win and win well.

Swans' forward line is my concern. Buddy could kick 10.

Mids/Def i am fine with but their forwards scare the s**t out of me

But that's Buddy though, without Buddy its not that impressive. Tippet has kicked 33 goals in 13 games, Goodes 28 goals in 20 games and Reid a measly 17 goals in 18 games.

Over the space of the season we've kicked 53 more goals than the Swans, they have a far better defence than us though...allowing 47 less goals than us.

That said we've kicked 13 and 15 goals against them this year which is well and truly above average for the Swans

BUT.... I really don't want to see Sydney win it. !!!

Me either. But not because of Cola or Buddy or anything else.......but simply because 1/3 just doesn't do justice to these past 3 years.

It's been our time. We blew one that we should have won, this is the one we get back. 3 GFs and 2 Premierships is exactly what this team deserves.

It would be galling for another side to take 2/3 in the period where we have been the best side.

We have a decisive advantage in the ruck. Hale and Ceglar/McEvoy must win well and give our mids first use of the ball. Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne and Lewis must also stand tall. Apply the same manic pressure that was applied to Fremantle last year. Don't worry about our kicking game. Opportunities will come. This is going to be a dogfight and we can beat them at there own game. We can cover their forwards. Gibson to Franklin, Stratton to Goodes, Lake to Tippett and Spangher to Reid. I originally thought Shoenmakers had a chance to come into the side but I think the only change will be Junior for Simpkin. Play him permanently in a pocket and use Suckling as the sub.

If I was picking the team I would have Shoenmakers and Sewell in the side for Spangher and Suckling. This is a proud team that has been very good for a long time. A big challenge lies ahead but the self belief is there and I would not be surprised if we win and win well.

Shoenmakers won't be getting a game. I daresay he was told this prior to the finals which may have affected how he has played in the VFL which hasn't been very good. I completely agree however, that we can win well. Pound for pound we have the most talented list, a game plan to win the big one and plenty of experience playing at this level. If our blokes play up to their best we will get over the line comfortably. I have seen many signs this year that they have brushed that monkey off their back for losing big games including the Geelong hoodoo or whatever people want to call it since winning the premiership last year. Win back to back and they'll go down as one of the all time great teams the clubs has ever assembled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back