List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the only thing stopping us from winning the premiership next year was a #1 ruck, then you might seriously consider giving up a round 1 pick for a 30yr while we develop someone (Blicavs & Irish guy) further. But I don't think that Minson is going to be the difference between making top 8/4 where we play off for a premiership in the next year or 2, ruck isn't our only deficiency and because of that I don't see why we would give up a 1st round pick for someone we could get 2 years out of but not necessarily take us to a flag, compared with either using it to draft a kick & a potential 10yr+ player or using it to actually trade for someone who we could get 5/6+ years of service from.

If our 1st round pick is on the table I would be wanting to use it on someone like Dangerfield, Selwood or Jones and in combination with a player and go after someone like Giles who would be a cheaper get both trade wise & salary cap wise.

Absolutely. Trading for Minson would be wrong in my opinion given his age; trading our first rounder for him - well that's borderline insanity.

Several clubs" have inquired about Geelong's George Burbury since the Cats made it public that he was up for trade should the right deal eventuate.

Those clubs are believed to be the Bulldogs, Blues, Power, and Bombers.

Getting minson is like getting hmac last time around.

Have we learnt nothing?

If simpson is cooked, throw a second rounder for giles and gws's third.

Would have been nice to have chosen grundy when he fell into our lap (not because of hindsite, I wanted Grundy pre-draft when it became apparent he was going to slide), but we don't have a time machine.

Different players though Pivo. Newton's an inside mid; Wigg, from the U18 Champs anyway, is more your Matt Suckling quarterback.
I get that.

I was playing on the "left footer" statement.

I have a soft spot for Wigg (among a few).

Have to ask, why would Cowan get re-rookied? What makes him more valuable than say Schroder?
At least Schroder is playing VFL, and given he's the 2013 vfl B&F winner and our 2014 B&F winner. He stays ahead of Cowan if it were up to me. I'd also get rid of Stringer ahead of him too.

Sadly lack of opportunities may say him wish to leave, and you can't really blame him can you.

I mean Cowan has played that little football, that you could show me photos of 10 random young footballers and Cowan and I wouldn't be able to tell you which one is Cowan.

Last edited:
terrific for about 4 games early and then literally struggled for the rest of the year.
His body is shot!
If he remains on the list, will be lucky to get 10 games out of him next year
Stick a fork in him Bobby_ I think he is about a bees dick away from being cooked.

Last edited:
At least Schroder is playing Vfl, and given he's the 2013 vfl B&F winner and our 2014 B&F winner. He stays ahead of Cowan if it were up to me. I'd also get rid of Stringer ahead of him too.

Sadly lack of opportunities may say him wish to leave, and you can't really blame him can you.

I mean Cowan has played that little football, that you could show me photos of 10 random young footballers and Cowan and I wouldn't be able to tell you which one is Cowan.

I'd like to see the back of all 3, time's got to be altogether up for this group, we need to turn players like these over. For some apparent reason they've been on that senior edge to long and it's time for new blood.
Don't know what the appeal is for Cowan over Stringer, he's 75% of the time injured and never performed better in the few senior games he had.
Big cleanout I hope!

I'd like to see the back of all 3, time's got to be altogether up for this group, we need to turn players like these over. For some apparent reason they've been on that senior edge to long and it's time for new blood.
Don't know what the appeal is for Cowan over Stringer, he's 75% of the time injured and never performed better in the few senior games he had.
Big cleanout I hope!
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. Given the question I was quoting Re Cowan: "What makes him more valuable than Schroder". Just stating my point of view that if Schroder should go, then Cowan and Stringer at the bare minimum should go before him. As in Schroder is far from the first priority to delist imo.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. Given the question I was quoting Re Cowan: "What makes him more valuable than Schroder". Just stating my point of view that if Schroder should go, then Cowan and Stringer at the bare minimum should go before him. As in Schroder is far from the first priority to delist imo.

Well yeah, based on sheer output over the journey I'd put him ahead of Stringer then Cowan. I did see Stringer play a couple of good senior games for a stand in this year and last year, but they apparently don't rate him that highly imo.
Both he and Schroder have consistently rated highly at VFL level all the same, but I think that's were they top out. We now need to give opportunity to Lang and Jansen and re load some youth, time these guys were moved on.
Talk is we might off load Burbury as well, I'd like to see that.

All that I've heard about Cowan being retained on the list hinges on what Snelling said - that Cowan will be up and running in time for preseason and "hopefully" Cowan would play a full year next year. And an article written by Adam McNicol which said that "AFL.com.au understands that Cowan has been told that he will remain with the Cats next season".

So nothing from the club itself.

All that I've heard about Cowan being retained on the list hinges on what Snelling said - that Cowan will be up and running in time for preseason and "hopefully" Cowan would play a full year next year. And an article written by Adam McNicol which said that "AFL.com.au understands that Cowan has been told that he will remain with the Cats next season".

So nothing from the club itself.

Waste of time imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well yeah, based on sheer output over the journey I'd put him ahead of Stringer then Cowan. I did see Stringer play a couple of good senior games for a stand in this year and last year, but they apparently don't rate him that highly imo.
Both he and Schroder have consistently rated highly at VFL level all the same, but I think that's were they top out. We now need to give opportunity to Lang and Jansen and re load some youth, time these guys were moved on.
Talk is we might off load Burbury as well, I'd like to see that.
So you want Schroder, Burbury, Cowan and Stringer off the main list. Not to mention Brown may ask to be traded given the lack of opportunities. Menzel, Vardy and you would have to say Simpson are no guarantees to be fit for prolonged periods of time.

That's quite a few sub 25y.o players you are turfing out given we have quite a few 30+ veterans likely to retire somewhere between now and the end of 2016.

Don't personally think all of Cowan/Burbury/Schroder/Stringer will go off the main list. unless A) one or more of them are re-drafted as rookies or B) used as trade bait in exchange for players or picks. Given the range of picks they would attract, you've got to wonder what's the point?.

So you want Schroder, Burbury, Cowan and Stringer off the main list. Not to mention Brown may ask to be traded given the lack of opportunities. Menzel, Vardy and you would have to say Simpson are no guarantees to be fit for prolonged periods of time.

That's quite a few sub 25y.o players you are turfing out given we have quite a few 30+ veterans likely to retire somewhere between now and the end of 2016.

Don't personally think all of Cowan/Burbury/Schroder/Stringer will go off the main list. unless A) one or more of them are re-drafted as rookies or B) used as trade bait in exchange for players or picks. Given the range of picks they would attract, you've got to wonder what's the point?.

We need to shop a few and de-list we've held these guys to long, now we've got an age problem as well.
Roll the dice and trade hard.

We need to shop a few and de-list we've held these guys to long, now we've got an age problem as well.
Roll the dice and trade hard.
That all well and good in theory but what picks would be realistically expected for those four + possibly Brown or Hunt?. In particular I don't see what possible currency Cowan or Stringer would possibly have. They would need to be delisted.

So as for the rest what could be expected pick wise as trade bait? There's only so much you can do to entice clubs into taking fringe players.

Seems to me like quite a big turnover yet no veterans leaving.

Such as, if we get Frawley I'd possibly be moving on Lonergan, some will disagree with me on that, but our defence is very aged and needs turning over more so than fringe afl standard list cloggers. Do hard decisions need to be made on Kelly or Mackie?, who come 2015 should have younger replacements nipping at their heels.

So why would we have them clogg the list any longer?...rather some kid from GWS or anywhere than waste any more time on these guys.
A few would have currency for lower level trades, some have lacked opportunity to be sure.

Unbelievable amount of love for Cowan by the GFC brains trust. He must be a gun to have this much patience with him. Similar in some respects to Motlop when he started…injured all the time and didn't show all that much early on. We can only hope Cowan turns out to be the same quality.

Agree that Stringer looks gone…sad because I thought he looked ok. Shredder is too far back now and Burbury may well be traded out. I think Mitch might walk and GH-S's status will be interesting as well. Thought he was very poor late in the season.

Just to be a little controversial…Thurlow needs to have a big year next year, and be given the opportunity to do so. Unlike some others on here, I am not yet convinced he's THE one. The one year deal he signed also made me wonder about future intentions to be honest.

I wonder if he's a happy little camper at Kardinia Park.

Several clubs" have inquired about Geelong's George Burbury since the Cats made it public that he was up for trade should the right deal eventuate.

Those clubs are believed to be the Bulldogs, Blues, Power, and Bombers.

A pick is what we'd be after. So I'd say he'd go to one of those if he was willing

Agree you don't go near minson if you think the windows closed. But is it closed if you pick up him and frawley?

And minson ain't h-mac. Different leagues.

I wouldn't be giving up smedts either if I were you guys, but I don't think he had much value right now.

Mitch brown is of noooooo interest to anyone I'm afraid

Unbelievable amount of love for Cowan by the GFC brains trust. He must be a gun to have this much patience with him. Similar in some respects to Motlop when he started…injured all the time and didn't show all that much early on. We can only hope Cowan turns out to be the same quality.

Agree that Stringer looks gone…sad because I thought he looked ok. Shredder is too far back now and Burbury may well be traded out. I think Mitch might walk and GH-S's status will be interesting as well. Thought he was very poor late in the season.

Just to be a little controversial…Thurlow needs to have a big year next year, and be given the opportunity to do so. Unlike some others on here, I am not yet convinced he's THE one. The one year deal he signed also made me wonder about future intentions to be honest.

Gee! if you include GHS Dave, what about your darlin' Trav, not a word? ......A no excuse veteran there!
And Thurlow hardly had a chance owing to your guy being played everywhere trying to get him a kick, that's the problem at KP, no opportunity.
GHS out performed TV on stats, and last year he played reserves,.... come on man!
He may still be traded but his curve is upward and he's worth a good player.

Last edited:

Regarding Thurlow, Ive seen him play some really quality VFL games. He is going into Yr3. Had stifled chances at best. Has shown the VFL quality at AFL level in patches at best.

I feel he is struggling with the waiting part and as such only signed a one year deal this year like Kersten did this year. We would be well served to play him more in 2015. And with Boris fast approaching 300 and playing well but slowing down I could easily see him getting 12 -14 games next year.

I'd say he is in the long term plans at GFC….

GO Catters

Meto…..

If you have an urge to become unhinged, take up Varcoe with someone else. Its in my nature to avoid the inane.

On topic, all I will say is, Varcoe was in the best 22 at years end without a doubt.

There are arguments for trading him (if there was interest) and arguments for retaining him. Whatever turns out best for GFC is fine by me. :thumbsu:

Sadly for you I suspect he will be retained. ;)

Regarding Thurlow, Ive seen him play some really quality VFL games. He is going into Yr3. Had stifled chances at best. Has shown the VFL quality at AFL level in patches at best.

I feel he is struggling with the waiting part and as such only signed a one year deal this year like Kersten did this year. We would be well served to play him more in 2015. And with Boris fast approaching 300 and playing well but slowing down I could easily see him getting 12 -14 games next year.

I'd say he is in the long term plans at GFC….

GO Catters

Sure Daz…no real argument from me. It made me a little uncomfortable seeing him sign for just the one year. My initial thought was that it wasn't a sign he was backing himself in to secure a spot in the best 22 at Geelong. I'll put that down to temporary paranoia!! :confused::D

I haven't had the benefit of seeing him at VFL level and the kid looks like he has talent from what I have seen, though he's pretty raw right now. I certainly wasn't suggesting we discard him, and I did say in my original post that he should be given the opportunity to show his stuff at AFL level. I'd like to see 14 games from him as well in his third year..:thumbsu:

I hope he earns a spot and wins me over. He's a good size, has a bit of toe and overall, has good skills. With more experience and another pre-season under his belt, he could really step up. I really hope he does…the potential is certainly there. Then again, I have seen many players over the years with potential….

2015 will be a big year for him. Along with a few others, its time to step up. He's one worth keeping a close eye on.

Wasn't having a crack - sorry if it sounded like it…. The 1yr concerned me at the time but now its just up to the club to get him the chances. He has earned his time thus far and needs to get more. His few injuries have not helped. Big steps in 2015 for him…

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back