List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Discussion 2014 [Current Picks: 12, 33, 52]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a terrible idea.
Never said it was a great idea, but something that gives both parties something close to value. Pick 11 is too high, pick 31 is too low. Something like that where we're thinking outside square rather than getting a 3rd club involved or losing a player we want to keep is what I'd prefer. As it is I doubt he comes across, talking to a couple of North people I know.

Sit is what he would do, given he doesn't run. Run is what we need.
Disagree on that, Higgins does offer some run and it was why McCartney moved him to the back line. Once opposition clubs started to sit on him a little more his output dropped off a little, but he was still important.

Forgot about the go home factor. I'd pay that for him though remembering you have to pay overs in FA. Won a couple of games for Adelaide off his own boot this season. 51 goals and 1st in goal assists in the comp. We've lacked a good small forward since Nathan Brown. We should target Garlett but I doubt be will.
I agree Betts would be great for us but paying him more than Dustin Martin would have thrown our pay structure out of whack.

Garlett has some off-field issues that worry me. Not a great defensive presence either.

Never said it was a great idea, but something that gives both parties something close to value. Pick 11 is too high, pick 31 is too low. Something like that where we're thinking outside square rather than getting a 3rd club involved or losing a player we want to keep is what I'd prefer. As it is I doubt he comes across, talking to a couple of North people I know.
You said it was 'what I would look at doing'. If you don't think it's a good idea, why would you look at doing it, or even mention it in a post?

If pick 31 is not enough, throw in someone like Batch. You don't trade mid first-rounders for Greenwoods. As I said, pick 11 gets us a really classy kid like Weller or Ahern.

Disagree on that, Higgins does offer some run and it was why McCartney moved him to the back line. Once opposition clubs started to sit on him a little more his output dropped off a little, but he was still important.
He moved to the backline for his kicking, but ok, he offers some run. Slow run.

I don't think we will trade for Garlett. Blues will want us to give up more than he is worth. Taking into account the last couple of seasons we would be more inclined to rookie list Leroy Jetta than trade for Garlett. Keeps our draft picks, and fills a need cheaply.

Garlett may be a better player, but Jetta is serviceable. **** bloke, but wouldn't be against it happening.

Players we should look at during trade week:

Greenwood
Taylor Hunt
Lowden/Grimley/Ceglar
Whiley

I don't think we will trade for Garlett. Blues will want us to give up more than he is worth. Taking into account the last couple of seasons we would be more inclined to rookie list Leroy Jetta than trade for Garlett. Keeps our draft picks, and fills a need cheaply.

Garlett may be a better player, but Jetta is serviceable. **** bloke, but wouldn't be against it happening.

Jetta is a scrub. He'd just be delist filler in 12 months. Garlett can play.

You said it was 'what I would look at doing'. If you don't think it's a good idea, why would you look at doing it, or even mention it in a post?

If pick 31 is not enough, throw in someone like Batch. You don't trade mid first-rounders for Greenwoods. As I said, pick 11 gets us a really classy kid like Weller or Ahern.
Yes I said it's what I would look at rather than giving up a player that we want to keep or involving another club, so as a result I looked at something outside the norm. As for the downgrade of the first round pick, we got Jack a few year back downgrading pick 8 to pick 13. Downgraded 1 spot a few years ago to get Morris and Ellis. Downgrading pick 11 to 15 still gets us a quality kid, maybe not an Ahern or Weller, but adding Greenwood and say Duggan or De Goey or Menadue or Ellis isn't that bad of a return for dropping 4 spots in the draft.

He moved to the backline for his kicking, but ok, he offers some run. Slow run.
Never said he was Usain Bolt but he is a smart footballer who offers run and ball use from the back line. Won't matter much anyway because he'll head to the Roos and no doubt when he plays well for them there will be supporters on here asking why we didn't make a play for him.

I don't give a damn as I think he will not improve our list
This guy is slow by hand and poor by foot
Look at Lewis Hodge Mitchell they're all relatively slow but their quick hands and foot skills accompanied with accuracy and a gifted football brain makes them better than most
They're the inside types you need not another battering ram
As with clangers yes Junior averages bigger higher clangers but he touches it 15 more x plus he creates a lot more opportunities per game than Deadwood will ever achieve
Shiels Danferfield Are what we need not more putty which will give us very little gain unless you want to still be a middle of the road side that pays overs for battlers
North are inundated with this build and style of footballer so finishing top five in an evenly matched team is nothing
Remember Jacko won our BandF and as an ex Geelong footballer told me if Jackos winning your BandF then that tells me What the hell were Cotchin Martin Lids JR8 doing ?he laughed and said he didn't rate our list and after this season I suspect he's right and we still want to top up with more average battlers
Sorry for repeating myself but more class please as I'm over the arse types that continue to clog our list
The picture bit was just a bit of humour which reading this thread I thought that's what it was all about
Apologies for the intrusion but I think your assessment of greenwood is way off as some of your fellow supporters are saying. I don't think you watched many north games this year.. this may have applied to levi in the past but if you watched him this year he is one of the big improvers in the league.
He had a comparable season to dangerfield even cotchin in a top 4 side but the media won't tell you that because he is not high profile.
He is a well skilled player. His hands are in fact pretty good. His kicking has also improved greatly even if its still not elite.

Fwiw I was talking to my richmond mate few weeks ago about how they need to look for more inside mids. Levi would be a terrific pick up to go with Miles recruit of last year to carry the inside brunt. This will also release cotchin to do more of the outside work along with martin. This kind of player could push richmond higher up the ladder. You have a very good spine- rance, riewoldt etc but lack some grunt through the middle.
Obviously I wouldn't be happy to lose greenwood given what he has shown this year! I highly doubt north will accept a 2nd rounder for his services unless the tiges have a decent player to offer us. I like griffiths but he is prob a required player. Not sure batchelor is the kind of player we would be after.
As already said the best richmond could hope for is that we spend too much on that muppet waite and higgins forcing him to seek more $ from another club.
But i doubt that will be the case and odds favour he will stay at North.

All the best anyway during the trade period guys.

Greenwood
Taylor Hunt
Lowden/Grimley/Ceglar
Whiley
id add gorrige to this list

That sounds like a bloody bargain for StKilda

So basically for a 2 pick upgrade & #21 they are going to give away 2 1st round draft picks
GWS really wants Petracca by all reports. If Melbourne gets the pick for Frawley they want then it's a 3 place drop for the Saints, but they would get O'Rourke Jaksch & McCartin possibly as a return. That gets their rebuild happening very quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reported today that he has requested a move to Port.

Didn't see that. However with Ryder and now Gorringe choosing Port, I doubt they will land both of them. We should get in the ear of Gorringe.

Speaking of Port, anyone interested in Redden?

Yes I said it's what I would look at rather than giving up a player that we want to keep or involving another club, so as a result I looked at something outside the norm. As for the downgrade of the first round pick, we got Jack a few year back downgrading pick 8 to pick 13. Downgraded 1 spot a few years ago to get Morris and Ellis. Downgrading pick 11 to 15 still gets us a quality kid, maybe not an Ahern or Weller, but adding Greenwood and say Duggan or De Goey or Menadue or Ellis isn't that bad of a return for dropping 4 spots in the draft.
Oh, I get what you're saying now: give North our first and second rounders in exchange for Greenwood and their first two picks. I read it as give North our first for Greenwood and their second.

That is a far better deal for us. Not sure North would do it though.

Im really not overly excited about Greenwood even at #31 TBH, He has had 1 good year

2 years ago Shaun Grigg had a fantastic year
No problem with Greenwood with 31,But North would get better offers you'd think if he decides to walk.

Wow some crazy stuff in the thread today. I'll do a Tigerbob and just put all my thoughts in one place.

1. Pick 4 is unders for Beams, kid is a star of the comp. I wouldn't accept it for Dusty so why should Collingwood for Beams. Thats being said they might only get a fringe kid in the end because rightfully so it seems Dayne is desperate to get back to his old man.

2. Please stop trying to offload Ty like he is shite. 23 goals in 12 games is 45 goals over a season. Thats not shite, plus he is flexible as a tall forward/ruck. Mitch Clark is better then him but the simple fact is a guy with that many problems is being targeted by some of the better clubs tells you how much that type is worth.

3. Levi is star. End of. Please get it done Richmond for as little as possible.

4. Betts year has ended up being worth 500k but i'm alright with not offering that compared to the crows. Garlett has had a down year and doesn't want to be at Carlton. At his best his defensive efforts are fine and he has kicked 40+ goals on 3 occasions and still average 1.5 goals a game this year. Jetta will not give you what Garlett can.

5. Can people stop saying FJ doesn't rate O'Rourke. He just didn't think he justified pick 9 in 2012. I'm sure if we had a pick in the teens it would have been a different story. This year it might be that he doesn't think he is worth 11 or 12 but if get one in the 20's it might be different.

Didn't see that. However with Ryder and now Gorringe choosing Port, I doubt they will land both of them. We should get in the ear of Gorringe.

Gorringe wants to go home to SA, probably home sick, probably wouldn't be interested in a VIC club

Oh, I get what you're saying now: give North our first and second rounders in exchange for Greenwood and their first two picks. I read it as give North our first for Greenwood and their second.

That is a far better deal for us. Not sure North would do it though.
All good, the way I wrote it was a little confusing. Still wouldn't mind us floating the idea to them if he does decide he wants out and wants to come to us. Reckon they might be interested as our pick gives them a better crack at the draft. If the rumoured McDonough to Adelaide talk comes to fruition I'd almost be inclined to forget about swapping the second round picks and just giving up our pick to North as the Crows second round pick is better than ours.

In effect it's a 3 club deal:
Richmond In Greenwood pick 15 & 29. Out Pick 11, 31 & McDonough
North In Picks 11 & 31. Out Greenwood & 15
Adelaide In McDonough. Out Pick 29.

As I said before Greenwood 15(Duggan/De Goey/Menadue/Ellis) & 29(Blakely/Miller) is a solid return for us.

Gartlett virtually lived in a cardboard box as a teenager. Having Betts help him on and off field at Carlton was a massive factor in his attitude and form.

I would definitely give him a one year deal if the price is right and if we think we can get him in the right head space. Proven goal kicker who can turn a game on its head in the space of 10 minutes.

In a four season period from 2010-2013 he averaged 39 goals a year.

Leroy Jetta doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Greenwood
Taylor Hunt
Lowden/Grimley/Ceglar
Whiley

Picking up Leroy Jetta would end in the same result as Todd Banfield, delisted at the end of the year. All of the other players you suggested we look at I like though.

Gorringe would be worth looking into. He would be second only behind Maric in our ruck stocks and we could always play two ruckman against certain opposition. He wants to go to Port Adelaide when Ryder also looks set to land there, so Gorringe saying he is leaving for opportunity is bizarre.

Port Adelaide supports have described Redden as a spud, so I would avoid him. We don't need two ruckman spudding it up on our list.

Wow some crazy stuff in the thread today. I'll do a Tigerbob and just put all my thoughts in one place.

1. Pick 4 is unders for Beams, kid is a star of the comp. I wouldn't accept it for Dusty so why should Collingwood for Beams. Thats being said they might only get a fringe kid in the end because rightfully so it seems Dayne is desperate to get back to his old man.

2. Please stop trying to offload Ty like he is shite. 23 goals in 12 games is 45 goals over a season. Thats not shite, plus he is flexible as a tall forward/ruck. Mitch Clark is better then him but the simple fact is a guy with that many problems is being targeted by some of the better clubs tells you how much that type is worth.

3. Levi is star. End of. Please get it done Richmond for as little as possible.

4. Betts year has ended up being worth 500k but i'm alright with not offering that compared to the crows. Garlett has had a down year and doesn't want to be at Carlton. At his best his defensive efforts are fine and he has kicked 40+ goals on 3 occasions and still average 1.5 goals a game this year. Jetta will not give you what Garlett can.

5. Can people stop saying FJ doesn't rate O'Rourke. He just didn't think he justified pick 9 in 2012. I'm sure if we had a pick in the teens it would have been a different story. This year it might be that he doesn't think he is worth 11 or 12 but if get one in the 20's it might be different.

Agree with most of this especially the Beams part which Collingwood won't receive anything better than pick four. Collingwood getting done over for a change, can't beat that.

I agree RE. Vickery as he is certainly a good player when up and about and when he's not he can still influence the scoreboard. However personally I think we should be actively looking to trade him as he is close to the only trade bait we have, although only if the trade works in our favour (we improve area's of our list that need improving, not a top five draft pick).

I know some posters on here really want Vickery to work so he can the third tall in our forward line but as far as i'm concerned McBean will be ready to contribute after this preseason and while he won't contribute as much as Vickery if we can use the Vickery trade to improve area's where we are weak it will deliver much better results then if Vickery were to kick 30-45 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back