List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what if he has to replace Lynch

Do those who want HH think he can step up and be that number 1 option?

Because that is what you want your second string KPF to be able to do when the first choice bloke is missing.

If he can't do that, then is he really worth the money that we'd be paying him, if he comes across?
Well Lynch level performance is worth over a million a year and we wouldn’t be paying HH close to that so it’s probably a bit unfair to expect Lynch level output

Because that is what you want your second string KPF to be able to do when the first choice bloke is missing.

If he can't do that, then is he really worth the money that we'd be paying him, if he comes across?
We have lynch for at least 2 more years, we can find a replacement for him in that time. Still, I'm not sure why your query is how would he go without Lynch. What about how he'll go alongside Lynch? Cos atm Ryan and Miller are allowing Jack to get triple and double teamed over and over. We can afford that to happen to Lynch next year just about as much as we can afford to lose him to injury again.

But if lynch was to go down with injury next year HH would be our best option to try cover for him, yes. At the very least he'd take the best defender away from Gibcus/Miller/Ryan/Bauer which is worth a lot structurally.

I really don't get those against the move. He's not a world beater but he can play the position were most desperate for and have the bonus versatility if required. All without costing a pick, of which we have * all.

Well Lynch level performance is worth over a million a year and we wouldn’t be paying HH close to that so it’s probably a bit unfair to expect Lynch level output
The level of performance that should be expected, is someone who can come in and lead the forward line in the event that Lynch isn't there.

Do you believe that HH could come in and lead a forward line with the likes of Ryan Cumberland & Mansell as the main support cast?

Because I don't see that from him, as I said before I see him as a good second fiddle to someone like Lynch, but I dont see him being able to fill that role if he's not there.

IMO one of the options we've currently got can become as good a second fiddle as HH could be for us.

I've said previously what we need to be focusing on is finding the next Lynch and one that can be here for 7-10 years

We have lynch for at least 2 more years, we can find a replacement for him in that time. Still, I'm not sure why your query is how would he go without Lynch. What about how he'll go alongside Lynch? Cos atm Ryan and Miller are allowing Jack to get triple and double teamed over and over. We can afford that to happen to Lynch next year just about as much as we can afford to lose him to injury again.
How many of those 44 games minimum is Lynch going to play?

But if lynch was to go down with injury next year HH would be our best option to try cover for him, yes. At the very least he'd take the best defender away from Gibcus/Miller/Ryan/Bauer which is worth a lot structurally.
That's my point though, he might take the best Defender, but do you actually believe that HH can take on and beat the likes of Andrews & May because I don't see it happening as he's just not that much of a threat. Riewoldt in his final year minus most of his best attributes has still been seen as such a threat that the opposition still double team him, do you think that the opposition would double team HH? I don't see it
I really don't get those against the move. He's not a world beater but he can play the position were most desperate for and have the bonus versatility if required. All without costing a pick, of which we have * all.
There's a saying about desperation that applies when it comes to HH

Don't let desperate situations make you do desperate things.

As I've said before a Lynch replacement is the priority and getting one in ASAP is the key, because then he gets to partner with Lynch initially before then taking over. Waiting until Lynch is nearly done or retired, is too late.

Last edited:
How many of those 44 games minimum is Lynch going to play?

That's my point though, he might take the best Defender, but do you actually believe that HH can take on and beat the likes of Andrews & May because I don't see it happening as he's just not that much of a threat. Riewoldt in his final year minus most of his best attributes has still been seen as such a threat that the opposition still double team him, do you think that the opposition would double team HH? I don't see it

There's a saying about desperation that applies when it comes to HH

Don't let desperate situations make you do desperate things.

As I've said before a Lynch replacement is the priority and getting one in ASAP is the key, because then he gets to partner with Lynch initially before then taking over. Waiting until Lynch is nearly done or retired, is too late.
* knows? He's averging 17 a year for us.

If Ben Miller is the 2nd option then of course they'd double team HH. He's a good mark and a deadly kick and a high goal assist player. But as I said he'd be playing alongside Lynch for 2+ years and demand an accountable defender, unlike our other options. It will help Lynch. He did kick 4 goals in a prelim on Rance/Astbury so yeah I'd back him to at least half a contest with May and Andrews. Would you have said Finlayson would've in his last year at GWS?

And I've said before, we don't have any picks to get in a legit Lynch replacement right now. HH is a great stop gap. Plus I'm sure Hartley has a plan for 2 years time, he always has.

The level of performance that should be expected, is someone who can come in and lead the forward line in the event that Lynch isn't there.

Do you believe that HH could come in and lead a forward line with the likes of Ryan Cumberland & Mansell as the main support cast?

Because I don't see that from him, as I said before I see him as a good second fiddle to someone like Lynch, but I dont see him being able to fill that role if he's not there.

IMO one of the options we've currently got can become as good a second fiddle as HH could be for us.

I've said previously what we need to be focusing on is finding the next Lynch and one that can be here for 7-10 years
Understand to a degree but I think HH would do a better job than a banged up Riewoldt (who I love) has done this year

Reality is we also need a second fiddle as Jack is done at the end of this year. Also there isn’t anyone on the market at Lynch’s level, really since Lynch moved the only comparable player to shift was Cameron to the Cats. Players like that moving is exceedingly rare

Are you bloody serious? He’s never ever going to be a Lynch replacement, who in the league would be for God sake, and that’s 100% not how Blair will look at it.
I’m guessing we expect Lynch to be around at least another 4-5 years, and HH to be the second tall, if we are even targeting him.

* knows? He's averging 17 a year for us.

If Ben Miller is the 2nd option then of course they'd double team HH. He's a good mark and a deadly kick and a high goal assist player. But as I said he'd be playing alongside Lynch for 2+ years and demand an accountable defender, unlike our other options. It will help Lynch. He did kick 4 goals in a prelim on Rance/Astbury so yeah I'd back him to at least half a contest with May and Andrews. Would you have said Finlayson would've in his last year at GWS?

And I've said before, we don't have any picks to get in a legit Lynch replacement right now. HH is a great stop gap. Plus I'm sure Hartley has a plan for 2 years time, he always has.
So you're happy to have HH come across as long as he's playing alongside Lynch for the next couple of years. Which is exactly what I'm getting at, HH is only of value if he has a genuine number 1 partner to take the heat off of him.
Understand to a degree but I think HH would do a better job than a banged up Riewoldt (who I love) has done this year

Reality is we also need a second fiddle as Jack is done at the end of this year. Also there isn’t anyone on the market at Lynch’s level, really since Lynch moved the only comparable player to shift was Cameron to the Cats. Players like that moving is exceedingly rare
I'm not sure he would do a better job than Jack has. HH has never had to be the number 1 guy, he's always been the second option at best, and the responses so far continue to say that as long as he has Lynch around he'll be worthwhile.

Are you bloody serious? He’s never ever going to be a Lynch replacement, who in the league would be for God sake, and that’s 100% not how Blair will look at it.
I’m guessing we expect Lynch to be around at least another 4-5 years, and HH to be the second tall, if we are even targeting him.
I think people misunderstand when I ask can HH replace Lynch. I'm not expecting him to perform at Lynchs level, what I'm asking is do his supporters have confidence that if Lynch was missing, that HH can be the number 1 option and lead our forward line in Lynchs absence.

Personally I don't see it as he has never done that job, he has always been a second/third string who does his best work playing on lesser opponents.

That is why for me, HH isn't a viable option to target, because his value largely depends on how Lynch goes. If that's the case then we're better off developing what we've already got on the list, saving our money and then targeting a genuine Lynch replacement to come in at the end of 2024.

The only way we can address Lynch's injury issues is to become less reliant on having one star key forward. It's not realistic to expect to bring in another Lynch-equivalent forward this year.

Collingwood are the best team in the comp right now, and they don't have a star forward — just several blokes who work really hard to bring the ball to ground while snagging a goal or two each.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question that needs to be answered by the HH supporters is do you believe that HH is good enough to be a genuine Lynch replacement if Lynch was forced to miss more games next year or forced into an early retirement because of the foot issue?

Because for me if we're bringing him in, he needs to be able to carry the forward line in the way Jack and Lynch have been able to do when the other hasn't been there to share the load.

I have seen nothing from HH that says he can be a genuine number 1 KPF that can kick 65+ goals in a season, while taking on and beating the leagues best KPD most weeks, especially if we're paying him the type of money that has been suggested to get him to sign.

HH has always been a second/third string type who gets the weaker opponent because there are bigger threats for the opposition to worry about. Now I'm not saying he's no good, because he plays that role quite well, but can anyone point to a season, where he was asked to be the number 1 guy and lead the GWS forward line.
Roksman saying our fwd line is the worst without Lynch (200cm) . Jack (192) is retiring and we have think about Lynch & different 2nd KPF. When HH (195 cm) played forward he shared it with Cameron & Finlayson. HH is in the middle of that pecking order. JF went to Port for 300K. Cameron for 900k.
HH is Mc Stay's level 600k. HH is from NSW so I can't see a Melbourne club having much appeal. Unless they up GWS offer. HH seems contended playing in the backline.

The Dogs bombed out bringing in Lobb on 800k when they got 3 KPFs already. They love a KPF. Got Schache playing VFL too.

I'd rather wait it out See how Gibcus goes as a JR replacement. But new coach might have new ideas about tall forwards. Who's FA next year?

Lynch replacement comes at end of 2025. At best. Maybe a 200cm type

* HH might improve his goal kicking stats at RFC.

Last edited:
So you're happy to have HH come across as long as he's playing alongside Lynch for the next couple of years. Which is exactly what I'm getting at, HH is only of value if he has a genuine number 1 partner to take the heat off of him.

I'm not sure he would do a better job than Jack has. HH has never had to be the number 1 guy, he's always been the second option at best, and the responses so far continue to say that as long as he has Lynch around he'll be worthwhile.

I think people misunderstand when I ask can HH replace Lynch. I'm not expecting him to perform at Lynchs level, what I'm asking is do his supporters have confidence that if Lynch was missing, that HH can be the number 1 option and lead our forward line in Lynchs absence.

Personally I don't see it as he has never done that job, he has always been a second/third string who does his best work playing on lesser opponents.

That is why for me, HH isn't a viable option to target, because his value largely depends on how Lynch goes. If that's the case then we're better off developing what we've already got on the list, saving our money and then targeting a genuine Lynch replacement to come in at the end of 2024.
Well that's what we'd be planning for yes. But if Lynch goes down again he'd be better suited than any of our other options to take over.

Well that's what we'd be planning for yes. But if Lynch goes down again he'd be better suited than any of our other options to take over.
HH (195) would be a younger version of Jack. Gibcus and HH would be the talls. Maybe Ryan bulks up a little. Hope Gibcus can be a KPF. In this day and age 1.5 goal average is a "star"
Have a look at Balta's games as a KPF. Not too bad. As a last resort I'd do that again

For all the angst about the fwd line. We are winning games. I think Baker is great, Dusty is a key to our win. I thought Pickett played well , played tall. Contests down the line. Kicked goals Miller is maybe a defensive forward. With star KPB s .. Jack needs the help. Jack Took a lot of marks but didn't convert.
If gibcus could get up, we don't need Miller up fwd.. our leading goal kicker is 2 goals . It's different players each week..
Soldo is kicking from further out these days
The problem with a cheaper option for KPF like silvagni or Georgiadis is we still have to sign them for 3 years.
Lynch, gibcus, Georgiadis is good on paper but all out injured.
Or a king twin?

HH (195) would be a younger version of Jack. Gibcus and HH would be the talls. Maybe Ryan bulks up a little. Hope Gibcus can be a KPF. In this day and age 1.5 goal average is a "star"
Have a look at Balta's games as a KPF. Not too bad. As a last resort I'd do that again
Balta is a future All Australian defender. Leave him were he belongs. He has so many Alex Rance feels about him.

Agree with all that except the last part. Balta should never leave the backline again.

Ryan will be a ruckman 1st. Mini said so. If we don't get HH we will have nothing other than an ageing Lynch. We have no high draft picks either. Our supposed target in Ben King is awful. I hope we have a cunning plan nobody here knows about.

Ryan will be a ruckman 1st. Mini said so. If we don't get HH we will have nothing other than an ageing Lynch. We have no high draft picks either. Our supposed target in Ben King is awful. I hope we have a cunning plan nobody here knows about.
There isn't a list manager in the comp that would prefer HH over Ben King, not one.

Balta is a future All Australian defender. Leave him were he belongs. He has so many Alex Rance feels about him.
According too Dwayne.Balta is about 10th best kpb because daniher kicked 5 on him which was pointed out to him that only 2 while Balta was on him.

Gibcus fwd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back