List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Tiger fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

tugga you may like to sticky or merge this post, move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread.

He was amazing in 22, carried us to finals with Lynch. Hes dropped off a fair bit since then. As a match winner, it was there to win last week, his late fumble was awful. But with our best young player now done, Bolton is one of the few reasons to go to the footy this season.

But if we consider trading Bolton and Bakers leaving, it means it’s complete rebuild time. If Balta continues his form, surely North would be offering their first??? They are desperate for a player like him and have too many mids. That would be a better trade than Bolton.
Bolton and Balta keepers. A graders (or potential A graders) ,age is on their side, if Blair can build another Premiership list, they’ll be vital cogs in our next Finals campaign/s

We’ll have draft picks and the salary cap to go hard at the ND and FA over the next couple of years, so absolutely no need to get rid of our top shelf talent

Last edited:
IMO I don't think we've bottomed out yet. This week despite heading into the game with 8 players with under 30 games, we're still one of the most experienced teams, averaging 99.6 games per player(7th most) and one of the oldest at 26 years 1 month average age per player(5th oldest). We still need to get younger, which we're starting to do with selection this week but the interesting thing will be in the coming weeks when Graham Broad & Hopper are right to go, who makes way will it be the younger players who came in this week or will it be some of the older blokes who started the season but haven't really played at the level we'd like to see them play at?

Personally I hope we continue with the youth as the warrant selection through good form. It's what we need to do if we want to turn things around quickly and not get stuck in a rut that is hard to climb out of, see WCE & North. By seasons end I'm hoping that everyone has been given a chance to prove that they are worth keeping. That means even players that some aren't fans of get a chance to prove that they belong as part of Yzes team moving forward.

Just because these players may have been poor under Hardwick, doesn't necessarily mean they'll still be poor under Yze with a different approach to the game plan and team structures. The more players we can find that from within our list, the less we have to nail in the draft and trades/free agency.

IMO I don't think we've bottomed out yet. This week despite heading into the game with 8 players with under 30 games, we're still one of the most experienced teams, averaging 99.6 games per player(7th most) and one of the oldest at 26 years 1 month average age per player(5th oldest). We still need to get younger, which we're starting to do with selection this week but the interesting thing will be in the coming weeks when Graham Broad & Hopper are right to go, who makes way will it be the younger players who came in this week or will it be some of the older blokes who started the season but haven't really played at the level we'd like to see them play at?

Personally I hope we continue with the youth as the warrant selection through good form. It's what we need to do if we want to turn things around quickly and not get stuck in a rut that is hard to climb out of, see WCE & North. By seasons end I'm hoping that everyone has been given a chance to prove that they are worth keeping. That means even players that some aren't fans of get a chance to prove that they belong as part of Yzes team moving forward.

Just because these players may have been poor under Hardwick, doesn't necessarily mean they'll still be poor under Yze with a different approach to the game plan and team structures. The more players we can find that from within our list, the less we have to nail in the draft and trades/free agency.
Don’t disagree but you’re making a big assumption that the kids we have on the list are capable of replacing the older players. I don’t care whether we play a really old or really young side, the only thing I’d like to see is what you say, players being selected purely on position and most importantly, their form. If the older players are playing better, play them until we are out of finals contention, may be already?, at which point, sure test the younger players even if form doesn’t warrant it.
Said it before on the forum, this will be a season where Yze and the coaches, list manager, and recruiters fully assess where we are at. We have the draft hand to hit the higher end of the draft hard this year and no matter what’s offered, we must keep a very strong draft hand and use it, no trading for older types.

Don’t disagree but you’re making a big assumption that the kids we have on the list are capable of replacing the older players. I don’t care whether we play a really old or really young side, the only thing I’d like to see is what you say, players being selected purely on position and most importantly, their form. If the older players are playing better, play them until we are out of finals contention, may be already?, at which point, sure test the younger players even if form doesn’t warrant it.
Said it before on the forum, this will be a season where Yze and the coaches, list manager, and recruiters fully assess where we are at. We have the draft hand to hit the higher end of the draft hard this year and no matter what’s offered, we must keep a very strong draft hand and use it, no trading for older types.
Not making any assumptions, what I'm talking about is every player that Yze believes can be part of the list from 2025 and on, gets the chance to prove that they actually belong. Naturally form comes into it and those that get their chance are doing so because of good form, while those remaining in the side are doing so because of good form.

Baker and Broad- Eagles for 2024 second round pick and 2025 second round pick

Jack Graham to power free agency compensation pick after our second round pick

Dustin Martin to sons - 2025 first round pick

Grimes and Prestia retire
Naismith and Ralphsmith delisted
Colina,,miller and Cumberland delisted

These are our draft picks based on last year's ladder
6-- 21-- 25--26--27-- 39--43-44- 62-70-74
We keep 6 and 21 unless an offer we can't refuse comes in
We can bundle some second and third round third round picks for first round picks both Brisbane and Carlton are in play,,so we could end up with picks
6-- 15--17--21--39- -62-70-74
And we have sons first pick next year
And Eagles second pick next year

We should be looking to trade Broad to Freo. They are a very young list and have constant backline injuries. We have to give games to Tresize, Brown and even Bauer… all who would be earmarked for a similar role. I reckon we’d get a 40’s pick for Broad who has 2-3 good seasons left.

Then I’d go hard on trading Graham. He’s perfect for Port, who have ultra attacking mids and need a gut running guy to cover the defensive deficiencies. We’d get a 30’s pick for Graham.

Then I’d not be against Baker going if he wants out. We’d get a late teens pick.

And people need to remember that a super strong draft hand this year can be parlayed into a strong hand next year as well, so we can easily spread the draft capital via trading one or two of this years picks for future picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Trade Bolton, Trade Balta, we may as well fold the Club. here's a great idea, let's go "full Norf" as it's worked a treat for them!
We also can't rely on getting the massive handouts that North have enjoyed from the AFL over the last couple of years. No way the AFL will bankroll the highest paid coach in the league for us, nor will we get a bunch of priority picks after being so successful for an extended period of time.

North's poverty has worked in favour of their rebuild.

Baker and Broad- Eagles for 2024 second round pick and 2025 second round pick

Jack Graham to power free agency compensation pick after our second round pick

Dustin Martin to sons - 2025 first round pick

Grimes and Prestia retire
Naismith and Ralphsmith delisted
Colina,,miller and Cumberland delisted

These are our draft picks based on last year's ladder
6-- 21-- 25--26--27-- 39--43-44- 62-70-74
We keep 6 and 21 unless an offer we can't refuse comes in
We can bundle some second and third round third round picks for first round picks both Brisbane and Carlton are in play,,so we could end up with picks
6-- 15--17--21--39- -62-70-74
And we have sons first pick next year
And Eagles second pick next year
Reckon u might be about 80% right

I'll take that
Tell me about 20% wrong
Naismith Miller and Cumberland are pre-emptive delistings, and we won't get a 1st rounder if Martin leaves.

We're not taking 11 picks in the draft. Even 8 would be excessive. 6 sounds more reasonable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naismith Miller and Cumberland are pre-emptive delistings, and we won't get a 1st rounder if Martin leaves.

We're not taking 11 picks in the draft. Even 8 would be excessive. 6 sounds more reasonable.
We bundle picks together, Carlton and Brisbane will be in play,,we will end up with about 5 picks at least 3 in the first round

We bundle picks together, Carlton and Brisbane will be in play,,we will end up with about 5 picks at least 3 in the first round
I'm starting to think that we may bundle picks together, not necessarily to move up the order, but to target some ready to go talent to address some holes on the list. I'm not talking about genuine stars, but maybe get some mid level talent that can compliment the youth we already have as they come through together.

I know this name was mentioned previously and if Baker was to head to Fremantle, I'd love the club to target Josh Treacy who is 22 at seasons end and is looking much improved this year and would be a welcome addition to the forward line. Another one that could be good value is Will Phillips from North who may struggle for game time at North given their injection of young midfield talent over the last couple of seasons.

However, if we're looking at improving our draft picks, then turning our current 6 picks inside the first 3 round into 4-5 picks inside the first 30 again should be the goal, ideally 2 Round 1 picks and 2 second round picks.

Bolton and Balta keepers. A graders (or potential A graders) ,age is on their side, if Blair can build another Premiership list, they’ll be vital cogs in our next Finals campaign/s

We’ll have draft picks and the salary cap to go hard at the ND and FA over the next couple of years, so absolutely no need to get rid of our top shelf talent
bolton I am. ok with excchanging. balta is untoucable

I'm starting to think that we may bundle picks together, not necessarily to move up the order, but to target some ready to go talent to address some holes on the list. I'm not talking about genuine stars, but maybe get some mid level talent that can compliment the youth we already have as they come through together.

I know this name was mentioned previously and if Baker was to head to Fremantle, I'd love the club to target Josh Treacy who is 22 at seasons end and is looking much improved this year and would be a welcome addition to the forward line. Another one that could be good value is Will Phillips from North who may struggle for game time at North given their injection of young midfield talent over the last couple of seasons.

However, if we're looking at improving our draft picks, then turning our current 6 picks inside the first 3 round into 4-5 picks inside the first 30 again should be the goal, ideally 2 Round 1 picks and 2 second round picks.
We need high end draft picks. Full stop.

No more patchwork, no more fillers, no more relying on hail mary rookie draftees.

We need to generate excitement through a handful of top 10 draft picks over the next 2-3 years.

We need our next group of Dusty/Cotch/Rance/Riewoldt, or at least our own Sheezel/Wardlaw/McKercher/Duursma collective to grow together and be the backbone of a genuine 2028-2032 tilt.

No more patchwork, no more fillers, no more relying on hail mary rookie draftees.

We need to generate excitement through a handful of top 10 draft picks over the next 2-3 years.

We need our next group of Dusty/Cotch/Rance/Riewoldt, or at least our own Sheezel/Wardlaw/McKercher/Duursma collective to grow together and be the backbone of a genuine 2028-2032 tilt.
Treacy & Phillips aren't really fillers. Treacy has looked quite impressive so far this season(albeit 2 games) and we could definitely use a young KPF like him to partner with Balta moving forward as they'd compliment each other well IMO. If Baker wants to head to Fremantle, then I'd be hopeful that we ask the question. If he wanted to go to WCE I'd be happy with them asking about Ryan Maric as part of a package to land Baker.

Meanwhile Phillips is a top 3 pick from 2020 and battled Covid and Glandular fever in 2022 that saw him miss the entire 2022 season. With the influx of top end talent North have gained since then, he may be looking for opportunity and could be picked up for a bargain, instead of top dollar.

With 2 players like these, we could address some holes with ready made young talent, while still keeping the ability to add some top end talent at the same time. Just loading up on kids who need time, can drag out the development of the side.

Reckon if we are really smart
The club can organise 4 first round picks this year
And 2025 2 first and 2 second round picks

3 games in and people are already talking about selling the farm(experienced players) for the equivalent of magic beans in the form of draft picks. Do you guys have ambition to replace North & WCE as perennial battlers? Unless the players people have been mentioning want to leave, you don't go pushing them out the door, you keep them around to be standard bearers for the kids coming through and eventually being the ones that replace them.

We've already got a very strong draft hand, so we don't need to be going nuts in trying to improve it, that will happen with teams looking to bank points and we're one of the teams who can help them in doing that, while also looking after our own future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back