Mitch Clark discussion - Geelong gets the flog

Remove this Banner Ad

Humour us - what do you think will be put on the table for Clark exactly?

If you're interested in any of Hunt, Brown or Walker I'd say we'd do a deal for them. Maybe Smedts. Possibly if you're more interested in experience and leadership a guy like Kelly might be part of a trade although I wouldn't be sure. We're not in the habit of trading definite best 22 players though and both Stokes and Varcoe are clearly best 22 players. You can push for them all you like but I just don't see us breaking with how we normally work.

Personally if I was in Melbourne's position I'd request Hunt and Brown. You don't really need more draft picks and clearly Roos wants immediate improvement. Hunt's a ready to go midfielder with 60 games under his belt who will immediately improve your team. He's not going to be a star but he's a solid player. Brown can play a role already at AFL level and has some elite skills that could see him become a very good player. He's more of an unknown quantity though. Personally I hope Brown doesn't go because I think he's still got a lot of improvement in him.

If they're not what you want then it'll be draft picks. Our second rounder would probably be on the table and I don't think that's an unreasonable offer. An upgrade of your second rounder to our first might also work.

Basically Geelong will put a number of options to Melbourne that won't be unreasonable given that he's a talented player with huge question marks over him. Both clubs will be mature enough to come to a deal I'd expect. But I think the chance that it includes a required best 22 player from Geelong is incredibly slim.

Why are we being swamped by Geelong flogs here?

They all sound like used car salesmen! Trying to "sell us" (like their words make any difference) their dud players..

Also enjoy the one or two collingwood posters on the draft board trying to now justify not getting him after 72hrs ago rubbing our faces in it (and trying to used car salesmen Lumamambebebababa to us)..

Send him to the draft and he can go to saint Kilda or the doggies! Fk the campaigner!

If you're interested in any of Hunt, Brown or Walker I'd say we'd do a deal for them. Maybe Smedts. Possibly if you're more interested in experience and leadership a guy like Kelly might be part of a trade although I wouldn't be sure. We're not in the habit of trading definite best 22 players though and both Stokes and Varcoe are clearly best 22 players. You can push for them all you like but I just don't see us breaking with how we normally work.

Personally if I was in Melbourne's position I'd request Hunt and Brown. You don't really need more draft picks and clearly Roos wants immediate improvement. Hunt's a ready to go midfielder with 60 games under his belt who will immediately improve your team. He's not going to be a star but he's a solid player. Brown can play a role already at AFL level and has some elite skills that could see him become a very good player. He's more of an unknown quantity though. Personally I hope Brown doesn't go because I think he's still got a lot of improvement in him.

If they're not what you want then it'll be draft picks. Our second rounder would probably be on the table and I don't think that's an unreasonable offer. An upgrade of your second rounder to our first might also work.

Basically Geelong will put a number of options to Melbourne that won't be unreasonable given that he's a talented player with huge question marks over him. Both clubs will be mature enough to come to a deal I'd expect. But I think the chance that it includes a required best 22 player from Geelong is incredibly slim.

I don't think there's any doubt that you'll need to trade a best 22 player.

My money is on Varcoe.

Surprised you've offered up Smedts. Is he going that badly?

But I think the chance that it includes a required best 22 player from Geelong is incredibly slim.

Clark is a potential A-minus or B+ forward, if his injury & mental problems are sorted out.

Top line KPFs are pretty hard to come by, and you think that Clark is not worth a best 22 player from Geelong? Clark walks into Geelong's starting 22...

Kelly - he has 1-2 seasons left before he retires, who are you kidding? Will be 32 yo next season. You may as well sweeten the deal by including Matthew Egan as well.

If there was some way we could engineer a situation where we could force him back to Brisbane all of this would be worthwhile. Anyways if Geelong want to dump a s**t player on us and tell us to be thankful id love to send him to the draft.

My money is on Varcoe.

Surprised you've offered up Smedts. Is he going that badly?
On Smedts I really don't think there is a place in the team for him, for we are pretty well set at flanker and wing wouldn't be surprised to see him moved for greater opportunities

Ill never understand the mentality of people going onto another clubs board

Try to talk us into trading one of our players for nothing because they want him
Then when we say no they try and convince us he is s**t and worth nothing yet continue to talk about him

Would think pick 32/33 from Geelong would be about right, is worth alot more in one sense but worth nothing in another

Geelong will be easier to deal with than Collingwood.

Yes 'I think you're right we probably would be, and I think Travis Varcoe is possibly in the frame albeit a lot of Geelong supporters won't like this, but I think it's got to do with the cap as much as anything.
We need Hawkins support, I reckon the footy world knows that.
Smedts has big talent but I think it's concentration with Billie.

Stokes and Varcoe won't be on the table but value wise it's not crazy to throw them up. But you could offer us pick 2 for Guthrie and I doubt the club would even consider it. We're not giving up an elite young talent we've put 4 years into and are confident is about to blossom for an 18 year old elite young talent let alone giving him up for a hugely talented but very injury prone forward with massive off-field issues.

Look, Guthrie is a promising player - but this is the first of his four seasons he's averaged more than 12.8 disposals, can play but he isn't worth pick 2 averaging 18 touches a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a trade suggestion on facebook that reckons the best deal would be...

Mitch Clark, pick 22 and pick 58

FOR

Geelong's pick 13 and pick 33

Then they're suggesting we trade pick 33 to pies for Lumumba, use pick 39 for Stretch, and be left with picks 2, 3 and 13.
Now I KNOW this won't happen. But it's still funny to read and discuss these things. Even if only for a laugh. :p

Yes 'I think you're right we probably would be, and I think Travis Varcoe is possibly in the frame albeit a lot of Geelong supporters won't like this, but I think it's got to do with the cap as much as anything.
We need Hawkins support, I reckon the footy world knows that.
Smedts has big talent but I think it's concentration with Billie.

Adding Clark + Frawley to Hawkins, etc and you guys are right back in the frame for a premiership.

Adding Clark + Frawley to Hawkins, etc and you guys are right back in the frame for a premiership.

Possibly, I'd like to think so,.... we made a mistake cutting Pods before working through who we thought could take his place. More than half the year TH was playing lone hand big forward, was unbelievable we finished third.
Hope you guys get fair comp all the same.

Clark is a potential A-minus or B+ forward, if his injury & mental problems are sorted out.

Top line KPFs are pretty hard to come by, and you think that Clark is not worth a best 22 player from Geelong? Clark walks into Geelong's starting 22...

Kelly - he has 1-2 seasons left before he retires, who are you kidding? Will be 32 yo next season. You may as well sweeten the deal by including Matthew Egan as well.

My money is on Varcoe.

Of course Clark walks into Geelong's best 22 if fit. But that's a big if and doesn't mean we automatically give up a best 22 player. There are lots of ways for a reasonable deal to be arranged that doesn't include Varcoe or Stokes.

Geelong will have a list of players we're willing to trade as part of the deal. Maybe they'll appeal to Melbourne, maybe they won't. For example Kelly might be on there and perhaps Melbourne are interested in the leadership he can provide while developing the list for a couple of years. Maybe not. In the end it doesn't really matter because if you're not interested in players we're willing to offer then we'll deal with picks instead.

Look Geelong have a history of being reasonable at the trade table. I brought up players like Hunt and Brown to give you some more info on them and because they're likely to be on offer if you're interested. If you're not interested fine. But I wouldn't waste too much time trying to convince yourself that a best 22 player from Geelong will be coming the other way. Geelong don't trade "required players" and unless there are some major factors like salary cap issues then Varcoe and Stokes won't be moving. But we can still come up with a reasonable trade without giving up those players like offering our 2nd rounder. That's the correct ball-park for a guy with his talent but also his issues. Unfortunately Melbourne aren't really in the position to try and force Geelong to give up a required player, something I don't think we've done by choice since Moloney.

Look, Guthrie is a promising player - but this is the first of his four seasons he's averaged more than 12.8 disposals, can play but he isn't worth pick 2 averaging 18 touches a game.

This is the first time he's played midfield. Last year for example he was our best player across the finals series as a small defender. I don't know if you'd be happy getting Guthrie for pick 2 or not but if you offered it I'm almost certain we'd say no.

This is the first time he's played midfield. Last year for example he was our best player across the finals series as a small defender. I don't know if you'd be happy getting Guthrie for pick 2 or not but if you offered it I'm almost certain we'd say no.

I like Guthrie as a player but we won't be offering pick two for him so I wouldn't worry about it.

Wouldn't that be a laugh?

I have to tell you, patience is already wearing thin.

I'm going to find it hard to keep going to games if we have another bottom 2 season next year.

If that happens whilst our FB and FF are pulling up trees at Geelong, then I do wonder whether I'll be posting this time next year...

I know that feel bro. The inequity of this comp is driving me away. Yeah we have been s**t, but we have been pillaged for years whilst the big clubs stay on top thanks to topping up on our developed and talented players. I am sick of it.

Of course Clark walks into Geelong's best 22 if fit. But that's a big if and doesn't mean we automatically give up a best 22 player. There are lots of ways for a reasonable deal to be arranged that doesn't include Varcoe or Stokes.

Do you really think your club would take Clark if it was a big if? You must be stupid. Clark will be playing next season and will regain form quickly.

Do you really think your club would take Clark if it was a big if? You must be stupid. Clark will be playing next season and will regain form quickly.

Have you seen our long-term injury lists? We love talented guys who can't get on the park.

Of course he's a big if and a massive gamble. We might be confident we can manage his mental issues but the injuries are a massive gamble. Nobody can say after his injury history that he's definitely going to cope with the rigours of AFL. But it's a gamble with massive upside and, if we can get him for a 2nd rounder for example, not a huge amount of downside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back