Ultimate Glory Hawks vs Swans - We take flag number 12 - our greatest flag - The Hard Way.

Remove this Banner Ad

*shudders* imagine the difference. We are constantly having to apologise to our opposition counterparts for how brilliant our club is, instead we may have been apologising for how boring it was.

I don't know whether it's because it's freo or the game style but I've just never gotten in to the 2013 GF - I think I've watched it twice. Thank god I bought the 2013 victory pack because the prelim DVD has certainly had a work out

I don't know whether it's because it's freo or the game style but I've just never gotten in to the 2013 GF - I think I've watched it twice. Thank god I bought the 2013 victory pack because the prelim DVD has certainly had a work out

Same here. Prefer to watch the 2013 PF when the curse was broken.

Time for a trip down memory lane...

He was selected after the Hawks missed out on preferred candidates Rodney Eade (Western Bulldogs) and Terry Wallace (Richmond).

This is why I despise the media. Wallace and Eade were only preferred candidates in the eyes of the media, not at Hawthorn. I always remember the ridicule from the media about us taking too long to appoint a quality coach and having to take what was left.

Years later, do you hear any of them saying they were wrong? Of course not.

Wow, the cats' inferiority complex about us fairly boggles the mind. One poxy little 5 year period of success, and they think they're the 'greatest team of all'...

That greatest team of all crap was simply a line taken from their club song and it took on.

Nowhere near greatest team of all. Hawthorn 1983 to 1991 ..... 9 seasons, 8 Grand Finals, 5 premierships. Geelong's record doesn't even come close.

Geelong have been a very good side from 2007 to 2014, but I grew so tired of hearing the term "period of dominance". They dominated in the second half of 2007 and in 2008 leading up to the finals, but 2 minor premierships in 8 seasons is hardly dominant.

Any stats gurus know how many games of experience we missed throughout the year?

I reckon in some rounds we may have been with 1000+ games of experience sitting in the stands...

We missed in total roughly 19300 games in experience. excluding guys like hartung etc.

In any particular game I can figure it out if you tell me the game.

Could you kindly be more definitive about that please?
At the point where clarkson had to step down, he'd coached 222 games. 5 games at 222 games each is 1110 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the sake of curiosity how much was port missing in the same game?

Appreciate the effort by the way, thank you.
I'll check. I should point out however, I am not including the entire list (whitecross for example I didn't class as missing) just players who actually played this season.

For port it was 360. But that includes everyone who has played double figure career games. For hawthorn I only included 50 games or more that were missing.

Insane numbers. No other team could sustain such losses yet remain competitive.

In context that explains why we can let depth players like Lowden, Boxer, Cheney etc go where they can get more games.

What a great position we are in. I feel our mission is yet to be completed. What a ride!

Hi Grumble, how does this compare with other sides? Is there somewhere that has this data readily accessible?
There might be, I'm not sure I used afl tables and checked the game list against the season list and sorted by name, any player appearing only once missed the game. Because they were in the season list but not the game list. Then it's a matter of working out how many games they'd played to that point.

There might be, I'm not sure I used afl tables and checked the game list against the season list and sorted by name, any player appearing only once missed the game. Because they were in the season list but not the game list. Then it's a matter of working out how many games they'd played to that point.

Thanks for that gg. That would've taken a great deal of time and effort which is appreciated. They are very high numbers.

Thanks for that gg. That would've taken a great deal of time and effort which is appreciated. They are very high numbers.
I didn't ,mind because I wanted to find out myself.

Although the positives of this game are still fresh and so bloody good to reminisce about, every time I think about the week preceding the game I get grumpy.

I don't think Grand finalists should have to contend with such one sided media.

For the second year in a row, at a time when football followers should be able to take all the footy media in that is available to them, I found myself turning off programs, switching radio stations, closing news articles and all because I did not find it at all enjoyable to read, hear or see how Hawthorn were going to struggle against their opponent.

I found it downright disrespectful, and I think I will always have a bad taste in my mouth when reminded of the lead up to both GF's.

If only the AFL affiliated media stuck to the good stories leading into the game, and forgot about predicting an outcome.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back