List Mgmt. Lyons staying

Remove this Banner Ad

Lyons, Laird and Kerridge need to be played every week. Sando held their development back last year..
My only issue is where do you play Laird? I like the lad but think Brown and Jaensch are now ahead of him in defence and doesn't make it as a midfielder.... just my thoughts and probably wrong.

Can't wait to see what Walsh does with these types of players

Pleased to see the praise for Lyons here. The Trading thread had a lot of suggestions that he be traded or delisted, along with Shaw.

Like someone said above, who knows what his limit will be? The club must see in him, and Shaw, a solid future.

Now over to them to make it real!

My only issue is where do you play Laird? I like the lad but think Brown and Jaensch are now ahead of him in defence and doesn't make it as a midfielder.... just my thoughts and probably wrong.

Can't wait to see what Walsh does with these types of players

Good point.. I think he is a role player.. Different spot every week.. I think Walsh will love him.. Played plenty of games for a guy so young.. I'd give him the job on the oppositions best small whether that is forward , back or middle..

I hope Walsh plays Grigg in the guts where he should play. Walsh loves left footers and especially ones with elite skills like Grigg. Grigg does his best work in contested situations and should play there. Hopefully he doesn't see the green vest too much next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2012 is a long time ago

Lyons last few games is better than what Wright has offered in the past 2 season IMO
agree with all of the above, but the fact is we know there is a player in there somewhere. Not the only player to struggle to find consistent form since the fairy tale ended.

now I'd love it for Lyons to get a great run and really shine under a new coach, but isn't also just as fair to say that we might see a revitalised Wright get the best out of himself again?

agree with all of the above, but the fact is we know there is a player in there somewhere. Not the only player to struggle to find consistent form since the fairy tale ended.

now I'd love it for Lyons to get a great run and really shine under a new coach, but isn't also just as fair to say that we might see a revitalised Wright get the best out of himself again?
I think Wright's forward defensive pressure is far better than Lyons and he does a lot of the 1%ers that tend to go unnoticed by supporters, his biggest failing is his lack of penetration with his kick IMO, whereas Lyons biggest deficiency is his total lack of any real pace.

Geez, the more I think about this the more salivating it is.....this year we had B Crouch out injured for the first half of the year, M Crouch a brand newbie who just started to show what he is capable of, Lyons and Grigg given minimal game time, Laird just showing glimpses of his ability too. Our young inside mids brigade will, by the end of next season, be at the very least respected across the AFL, I've no doubt. We do need more outside run and KPB's sure, but our inside mids will be very bloody excitement in 2015.

Last edited:
Lyons, Laird and Kerridge need to be played every week. Sando held their development back last year..

Kerridge really suffered. He is a very talented footballer, should have been a rock solid part of the 22.

This is another bigfooty untruth that is fast turning into a fact, due to the fact that we didn't play him against the Kangaroos (which we should have done, but one game hardly stunts development).

In no way did Sando hold Kerridge back. You can make very valid arguments about Lyons, Grigg, Crouch being held back - but not Kerridge.

It simply is untrue.

I don't think anyone is upset that he was only given 1 game in his first AFL season in 2012.

In 2013 - he forced his way into the side in round 4 and played played 8 straight games before getting injured against Sydney in Rd 11. He then had 3 weeks completely off to heal his injury and then played 5 SANFL games to regain touch before he came back in for the last 3 games. Arguably he could have played an extra game or two but nothing major.

In 2014 - He played the first 13 games consecutively before getting injured. He then sat out 5 games recovering from his injury and the club made him play 3 SANFL games to regain form before he came back into the side in rd 23.

So in 2 years he has played 25 out of 44 games. Of the 19 games he missed - 8 of those he was unable to play in either competition. So he only played 11 or so SANFL games in 2 years, with 8 of those games coming after Injury to regain fitness.

In absolutely no way has Kerridge's development been hampered. He is tracking beautifully and will take the next step in 2015.

This is another bigfooty untruth that is fast turning into a fact, due to the fact that we didn't play him against the Kangaroos (which we should have done, but one game hardly stunts development).

In no way did Sando hold Kerridge back. You can make very valid arguments about Lyons, Grigg, Crouch being held back - but not Kerridge.

It simply is untrue.

I don't think anyone is upset that he was only given 1 game in his first AFL season in 2012.

In 2013 - he forced his way into the side in round 4 and played played 8 straight games before getting injured against Sydney in Rd 11. He then had 3 weeks completely off to heal his injury and then played 5 SANFL games to regain touch before he came back in for the last 3 games. Arguably he could have played an extra game or two but nothing major.

In 2014 - He played the first 13 games consecutively before getting injured. He then sat out 5 games recovering from his injury and the club made him play 3 SANFL games to regain form before he came back into the side in rd 23.

So in 2 years he has played 25 out of 44 games. Of the 19 games he missed - 8 of those he was unable to play in either competition. So he only played 11 or so SANFL games in 2 years, with 8 of those games coming after Injury to regain fitness.

In absolutely no way has Kerridge's development been hampered. He is tracking beautifully and will take the next step in 2015.

I was thinking about it in terms of his inclusion in the team - and the role he played when he was there.

How we played the likes of Lyons in forward roles, while Kerridge tagged I don't understand. Hell I reckon Laird was playing up forward at some stages.

To me Kerridge lost confidence, that hurts some players development more than people understand. Sure the North Melbourne game was just one game, but it was an important one that could have lifted Kerridge (and the team) but by leaving him out it was just another confusion. Lyons has seemed to keep his confidence up the whole time - which shows a lot of self-belief. These things just show me poor man-management by Sanderson, poor understanding of people.

I expect Kerridge to thrive under a new coach with competitive hard skilled team football as his mantra. Same with Lyons, Grigg and Laird, they seem to fit into the Walsh jigsaw for me. I have the feeling (no concrete evidence yet) that Walsh understands footballers, and what makes them tick.

I was thinking about it in terms of his inclusion in the team - and the role he played when he was there.

How we played the likes of Lyons in forward roles, while Kerridge tagged I don't understand. Hell I reckon Laird was playing up forward at some stages.

To me Kerridge lost confidence, that hurts some players development more than people understand. Sure the North Melbourne game was just one game, but it was an important one that could have lifted Kerridge (and the team) but by leaving him out it was just another confusion. Lyons has seemed to keep his confidence up the whole time - which shows a lot of self-belief. These things just show me poor man-management by Sanderson, poor understanding of people.

I expect Kerridge to thrive under a new coach with competitive hard skilled team football as his mantra. Same with Lyons, Grigg and Laird, they seem to fit into the Walsh jigsaw for me. I have the feeling (no concrete evidence yet) that Walsh understands footballers, and what makes them tick.

I have zero argument that Lyons was mis-used by Sando. Same applies to Crouch Jnr. I am also not sticking up for Sando.

I am just saying that Kerridge was not stunted by Sando in any way. Its a BigFooty mistruth that has just been repeated so much that people take it as fact.

You haven't given one shred of evidence that Kerridge's development 'suffered' under Sando.

When did Kerridge lose confidence? He was doing very well as a tagger until he was injured and spent 5 weeks out of all football.

Not sure how you can have a crack at him being used as a tagger. It is a development position that has been used by many clubs on young up and coming midfielders so that they can follow around the elite and learn from them. Kerridge played on Ablett, Pendles, Griffen, Montagna, Boak, Jones, etc. He would have learnt a hell of a lot.

Seriously - apart from playing him in the Kangaroos game he has been managed perfectly.

I have zero argument that Lyons was mis-used by Sando. Same applies to Crouch Jnr. I am also not sticking up for Sando.

I am just saying that Kerridge was not stunted by Sando in any way. Its a BigFooty mistruth that has just been repeated so much that people take it as fact.

You haven't given one shred of evidence that Kerridge's development 'suffered' under Sando.

When did Kerridge lose confidence? He was doing very well as a tagger until he was injured and spent 5 weeks out of all football.

Not sure how you can have a crack at him being used as a tagger. It is a development position that has been used by many clubs on young up and coming midfielders so that they can follow around the elite and learn from them. Kerridge played on Ablett, Pendles, Griffen, Montagna, Boak, Jones, etc. He would have learnt a hell of a lot.

Seriously - apart from playing him in the Kangaroos game he has been managed perfectly.

Wasn't he dropped 2 games after kicking 6 vs the Kangaroos in 2013?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back