List Mgmt. Simpson Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, there aren't plenty of players way better than Fyfe. You can probably count them on one hand.
Even if you're missing a few fingers! Sure pick 20 isn't exactly a low pick, but literally every club in the first round passed on him.

I actually liked Pitt as a player and thought he was pretty exciting to watch so I was pretty devo when I found out he had to retire.

And as for if this delisting was between Duffy & Simpson, I'm glad it was Simpson that was delisted. I think they both have/had huge potential as AFL footballers but I'd much rather the no-nonsense hard worker than the player Freo have to bend over backwards for. There comes a point where accomodation a player with special needs because of culture/attitude/whatever becomes detrimental to the rest of the club, brings down the rest of the players, and pulls resources from the development of the other young guys. Sounds like Simpson was way past that point.

Sorry, there aren't plenty of players way better than Fyfe. You can probably count them on one hand.

I think he meant in the history of the draft. For example, is Fyfe better than Simon Black? Black was taken pick 31. Or Goodes? He was taken in the 40s. Or Dane Swan, also taken very late. What about Sam Mitchell - taken at pick 36.

Pick 20 is a steal for Fyfe but it's not the all time greatest steal. Given Freo's next pick was a dud, and next draft was a complete write off, Fyfe's pick up doesn't really do enough to make up for burned picks elsewhere.

I think he meant in the history of the draft. For example, is Fyfe better than Simon Black? Black was taken pick 31. Or Goodes? He was taken in the 40s. Or Dane Swan, also taken very late. What about Sam Mitchell - taken at pick 36.

Pick 20 is a steal for Fyfe but it's not the all time greatest steal. Given Freo's next pick was a dud, and next draft was a complete write off, Fyfe's pick up doesn't really do enough to make up for burned picks elsewhere.

James Hird pick #79 was probably the greatest steal of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_AFL_draft

Agreed, that was my take on his post.
James Hird pick #79 was probably the greatest steal of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_AFL_draft

James Hird was the person who immediately came to mind for me too, at the end of the day - Fyfe is only a kid still and these guys will be remembered as legends of the game. Fyfe's not there yet, but by the end of his career he could well be in good company.

Back when the draft was just throwing darts at names.. Should really only consider 'steals' from when the clubs started taking it really seriously in the late 90s.

Yeah, fair point. Nobody knew what they were doing back then. Still you'd be pretty happy if you were the guy that plucked out Hird at #79 back then.

Are any of the players you quoted "way better" than Fyfe though? It's too early to call, but Fyfe could potentially go past all of them as he's only 23.

Not that I disagree with the premise of what you're saying Silent Alarm but not sure about "plenty of players way better than Fyfe taken way higher".

Pitt's first goal in AFL was all class and it's not like Mundy had that killer instinct you talked about in his first few years (can easily argue he still lacks it) either and I saw them as pretty comparable from the limited I saw of Pitt. It's hard to make a case that he would have been anything more than a solid contributor though, the "best skills in the draft" was an outright lie from the club.

Your Hill comment is what I've come to expect from you though, won't touch.

Also, as someone else said, 3 finals in a row and a GF last season is a long way from "very, very mediocre". If that is the standard then I'm going to need a few pages to list all the very's to describe Melbourne or West Coast.
Should've clarified, I mean in drafts in general. I'm talking about Dane Swan (58), Simon Black (31), James Hird (79), Fev (38), Sam Mitchell (36), David King and Brent Harvey were 46th picks and then North pinched a WA boy in Andrew Swallow in the second/third round, Port got Robbie Gray at 55... Chris ******* Grant was like literally the last or second last pick... The Crows got Walker in the fourth round. These are great players who clubs lucked out on, sometimes higher in the draft order, and yet people try and imply it is masterful drafting from Freo. It's a load of wank from people who are too positive about a mediocre club

Are any of the players you quoted "way better" than Fyfe though? It's too early to call, but Fyfe could potentially go past all of them as he's only 23.
People really overrate Fyfe. He's a very, very good footballer and he's only ever going to get better, but Black, Swan, and Mitchell are amazing footballers. And considering they were picked higher, surely that makes them better steals?

We've certainly underperformed with our early draft picks all throughout our history, but then again no team can claim to have nailed rookie drafting as well as us. A good percentage of our greatest players weren't taken in the main draft at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People really overrate Fyfe. He's a very, very good footballer and he's only ever going to get better, but Black, Swan, and Mitchell are amazing footballers. And considering they were picked higher, surely that makes them better steals?

Ask me in 10 years.

At the moment the 23 year old Fyfe is behind these veterans....am I doing it right?

Should've clarified, I mean in drafts in general. I'm talking about Dane Swan (58), Simon Black (31), James Hird (79), Fev (38), Sam Mitchell (36), David King and Brent Harvey were 46th picks and then North pinched a WA boy in Andrew Swallow in the second/third round, Port got Robbie Gray at 55... Chris ******* Grant was like literally the last or second last pick... The Crows got Walker in the fourth round. These are great players who clubs lucked out on, sometimes higher in the draft order, and yet people try and imply it is masterful drafting from Freo. It's a load of wank from people who are too positive about a mediocre club
A lot of those players are from the lucky dip drafts and Taylor Walker was a NSW scholarship selection for Adelaide.

People don't overrate him, he's bloody good and has done it from early on. He should have won the F&B in his second season but for some strange reason it went to Pav who hardly had an outstanding year under his lofty standards. He's disposal averages were better than all you have quoted in his second season. So yes, he's tracking as better than those amazing players you like so much from other clubs. He's also a better overhead mark than all of them too.

Essendon hid Hird. He was from Canberra at the time. Sat out the national champs and was the grandson of an Essendon past president. No brainer he was playing at Essendon. Other clubs stayed away.

Most of the comments about how late people were selected and why comes from reading a list.

There were so many rules early, one 17 year old each, only so many from certain areas and for the first few years Melbourne clubs had zones still.

Also go to the Pitt draft. Apart from Darling (good player but a knob) and Parker (great player) you are looking at Cam Guthrie as the next best. Slim pickings.

Guessing which players are and are not "knobs" is one of the worst things about this forum.

In reality you have no idea what Jack Darling or any other AFL player is like as a person.

Also I think you are underrating Jeremy Howe a bit.

Guessing which players are and are not "knobs" is one of the worst things about this forum.

In reality you have no idea what Jack Darling or any other AFL player is like as a person.

Perth is a very small place. You have no idea how many current, former and future AFL I am acquainted with.

Jeremy Howe was already 20 when drafted. That's the age you have written Pitt off at.

Come on, you don't have to guess to know Darling's a knob. He plays for West Coast.

I still think Hill is piss poor for a number three or four selection. Does nowhere near enough.

The draft is about what's available, not the value of past picks, there's no one in the top 25 of Hill's draft that is clearly a better selection.

But just to contradict myself.

2000 3. Alan Didak, 4. Luke Livingston
2001 3. Chris Judd, 4. Graham Polak
2002 3. Jared Brennan, 4. Tim Walsh
2003 3. Colin Sylvia 4. Farren Ray
2004 3. Ryan Griffen, 4. Richard Tambling
2005 3. Xavier Ellis, 4. Josh Kennedy
2006 3. Lachlan Hansen, 4. Matt Leunberger
2007 3. Chris Masten, 4. Cale Morton
2008 3. Stephen Hill, 4. Hamish Harlett
2009 3. Dustin Martin, 4. Anthony Morabito
2010 3. Sam Day, 4 Andrew Gaff

I think Hill is quite a bit above "piss poor for a number three or four selection"

Dont be a knob.

I still think Hill is piss poor for a number three or four selection. Does nowhere near enough.

You're a smart bloke SA, but this is not a smart comment. Hill is on par or better than every other midfielder in taken in the 2008 draft, with the possible exception of Hannebury and Dayne Beams. Hill is the best footballer of the top ten of that draft.

Either your expectation for a number 3 pick is way too high, or you have a strangely biased view of Stephen Hill's output, or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back