Pakistan vs Australia (in the UAE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop blaming the pitch, we could tell 100 miles away it would turn...so what do we do we pick Doolan who can't play spin, a 20% fit Clarke (and I'm generous here)...and we leave one of the best players of spin carrying the drinks. I'm not Maxwell's biggest fan, but horse for courses he plays on these pitches. This pitch isn't that bad, it is turning but it is the batsmen getting themselves out...lets look at them

Warner- plays a wild heave ho to a pie from the left armer, stays in his crease he isn't out. I know it is the way he plays though so we have to accept the good with the bad
Doolan- misses a straight one that didn't turn an inch
Clarke- barely looked fit, missed a straight one
Lyon- why is he batting for! Missed a straight one, number 11.

So of all dismissals we have just softly given the wickets away. It isn't even funny.

Changes:

Out: Doolan, Lyon, Siddle
In: Maxwell, Starc, Hilfenhaus.

2 spinners in Maxwell and O'Keefe. 3 quicks in MJ, Hilfy and Starc.

You are not suggesting that Slapswell bats at 3?

I also think we've missed Harris. He wouldn't have been the difference between victory and defeat, but the bloke has a heart the size of the MCG, and gives his all for his country from ball one on day one until the final ball on day five. He's also got a helluva lot of ability!!! Hopefully he'll be right for the home series against India, and remains fit for the Ashes.

The first Ashes series was Hughes' longest slump, including tour matches, but ultimately, it was still just two test matches. Just like the NZ series was just two tests. And the second Ashes series was just two tests. Just by coincidence, Australia suffered loses in all of those examples.....

If this is the case, then how does he have a test average of just 32?

Too many all rounders, too many players that can't play spin & a lack of quality spin bowlers.

A bi-product of the contemporary era. And they're not really all-rounders. All rounders are people who would be selected as either a batsman or a front line bowler. Players such as Garfield Sobers and Keith Miller were great all rounders. These days, if a guy is a fast bowler and can make 50s batting at 8, people classify him as an all rounder, but he's not, he's a bowler who can bat a bit.

Then we see the worst kind of all-rounder. Someone who wouldn't make the team either as a batsman or a bowler, but he does a little bit of both. These players aren't much use in Test Cricket.

[snip]
Then we see the worst kind of all-rounder. Someone who wouldn't make the team either as a batsman or a bowler, but he does a little bit of both. These players aren't much use in Test Cricket.
Absolutely. They have always been there (Simon O'Donnell, David Capel), but the last 10-15 years has really seen the rise of the no-rounder. Uselfu as a fifth bowler in the limited games, where they don't have to build innings and score hundreds and a few tight overs are enough. When they have to do either over the long haul, not so good.

We had a team 2/41 today (chasing 106). Then they were all out for 48. Epic collapse!
I remember years ago reading about one of the Penrith grade club's lower grades in the paper. I can't remember the exact details but it went something like this.

Penrith were 3-218 chasing 222. They were bowled out for 218. :D

mass changes for next Test?
I don't think so. We just don't have players for the conditions. Possibly drop a spinner, then Maxwell in for Marsh. But that basically means picking Starc so is hardly a game-breaking improvement, and arguably not an improvement of any sort.
I wanted Hughes opening and Rogers three for this Test, but Doolan will get another game and probably had to be picked after the tour game anyway.

For all the winning at home and in South Africa, on slow decks we're little better than 18 months ago in India. And that's not all a selection thing. Its a lack of suitable players to select.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. They have always been there (Simon O'Donnell, David Capel), but the last 10-15 years has really seen the rise of the no-rounder. Uselfu as a fifth bowler in the limited games, where they don't have to build innings and score hundreds and a few tight overs are enough. When they have to do either over the long haul, not so good.

It all reminds me of how the career of Ian Chappell took shape. Okay, these days players can make big bucks in these 20/20 competitions so therein lies the problem.

Everyone recognized Chappell as a talent but in the first 3 or 4 years of Test cricket, he was a fringe player. Promising batsman, useful leggie, but he was only averaging in the mid 30s with the bat and around the mid 40s with the ball. He was doing a lot of bowling but not getting wickets, and batting at 6 without making many runs.

When he returned from the 1966-67 Test series in South Africa, South Australian captain was blunt with Chappell. He told him he may be doing a lot of bowling for Australia but he won't be bowling any more than 4 over spells for SA, batting 3 and making big hundreds. It was the turning point of Chappell's career. It would be nice to see some of these free-loading no-rounders make up their mind if they want to be a batsman or a bowler, because they're not good enough to do both.

Australia really needs a couple of talented batsmen to step up and say "Here I am, I'm going to bat 3 or 4 in Tests for Australia and make big hundreds". This is my worry for the future of Test cricket. I can't see players willing to sacrifice the easy money of 20/20 to play Test cricket.

DW guys. This seems to be good news to me because it shows just how much control curators have towards accustoming a pitch to give the home team the biggest advantage possible these days.

We will probably not only have another 4-0 whitewash against India, but also have the biggest advantage towards winning the World Cup next year. I really hope my $300 dollar gamble at buying World Cup final tickets pays off.
Bull s**t. Could be an ideal bouncy/juicy track for us and wouldn't matter. Bat first and make 350+ against Australia and that's it until we get a group together that aren't such a ####ing an inept, pathetic bunch on downhill skiers ridiculously reliant on MJ and Warner.

Australia really needs a couple of talented batsmen to step up and say "Here I am, I'm going to bat 3 or 4 in Tests for Australia and make big hundreds". This is my worry for the future of Test cricket. I can't see players willing to sacrifice the easy money of 20/20 to play Test cricket.
Mitch Marsh has turned his back on the IPL already to focus on FC cricket. His FC record may still be subpar (though rapidly improving) but you can't question where his priorities lie.

Starc is in Australia isn't he?
I'd like to see Smith promoted to 3.[/

Starc bowled in the tour match so unless i've missed something i assume he's still there. Yep agree on Smith batting at 3 on these wickets no different to number 5 with spin pretty much opening the bowling.

Maxwell at 5 could be a weapon for us. The guy has so much talent it's ridiculous & if given a good run i think he's too good not too succeed.

I remember years ago reading about one of the Penrith grade club's lower grades in the paper. I can't remember the exact details but it went something like this.

Penrith were 3-218 chasing 222. They were bowled out for 218. :D

Amazing, especially after the foundation had been laid. I recall one day playing for my school's 1st XI at home. You could always bat all day on this pitch if you just applied yourself. I lost the toss and we took to the field against a team which had been making 250+ all season. I was standing there at 0/45 getting ready for a long day in the field. Half an hour later, the opposition were bowled out for 55. They lost 10 for 10 on a perfect deck!!! Cricket's a funny game.

It all reminds me of how the career of Ian Chappell took shape. Okay, these days players can make big bucks in these 20/20 competitions so therein lies the problem.

Everyone recognized Chappell as a talent but in the first 3 or 4 years of Test cricket, he was a fringe player. Promising batsman, useful leggie, but he was only averaging in the mid 30s with the bat and around the mid 40s with the ball. He was doing a lot of bowling but not getting wickets, and batting at 6 without making many runs.

When he returned from the 1966-67 Test series in South Africa, South Australian captain was blunt with Chappell. He told him he may be doing a lot of bowling for Australia but he won't be bowling any more than 4 over spells for SA, batting 3 and making big hundreds. It was the turning point of Chappell's career. It would be nice to see some of these free-loading no-rounders make up their mind if they want to be a batsman or a bowler, because they're not good enough to do both.

The careers of Stacky and to a lesser extent Walters took similar paths.

Stacky started as a leg spinning all-rounder in Test cricket batting at 7. He ended up opening and barely bowling at all.

Walters still bowled quite often in Test cricket later in his career but was hardly played as an all-rounder. He was more a partnership breaker. However early in his career he was bowling first change for NSW.

The careers of Stacky and to a lesser extent Walters took similar paths.

Stacky started as a leg spinning all-rounder in Test cricket batting at 7. He ended up opening and barely bowling at all.

Walters still bowled quite often in Test cricket later in his career but was hardly played as an all-rounder. He was more a partnership breaker. However early in his career he was bowling first change for NSW.

When I was a boy and just getting interested in cricket, the first game I saw was in 1964-65, SA v NSW at Adelaide Oval, last match of the season. They had this guy called Doug Walters who people were raving about as the great white hope of Australian cricket.

NSW batted first and made over 600, Walters made 253 and I thought "wow". That seemed a remarkable score. Then when SA batted, Walters chipped in with 7/63. Now that is a truly great all-round performance, but as you say, he turned more into a partnership breaker than a front line bowler.

Mitch Marsh has turned his back on the IPL already to focus on FC cricket. His FC record may still be subpar (though rapidly improving) but you can't question where his priorities lie.
I remember after that first international T20 where Warner burst onto the scene (who?), he made it a point that his #1 priority is to play Test cricket for Australia.

I think T20 presents plenty of concern for test cricket on a global scale, but I don't buy the argument that it's costing our side right now.

There is not a single member of the eleven wearing the baggy green in this test match who has at any stage put T20 money over test cricket. I suspect the posts being on this matter are referring to Maxwell? Well, he's made a heck of a lot of effort to improve his first class performances to a level where he can be considered for test selection. His goal (like the other guys who are popular targets in Warner and Marsh) has never deviated from performing at test level. I don't know if he will be good enough, but his intentions are clear and I don't know why people refuse to believe otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back