FTA-TV New Foxtel packages from 3 Nov 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

^with regards to what?

They're all the same function wise. I have the 1TB box myself. The IQ2/IQHD box is 320 GB.

But that's a function of HD not the box itself. My Mum has a HD box without having the HD channels.

Correct, just adding further to your already perfectly valid comment that covered it. :thumbsu:

Anyone tell me how this self install thing works? Would I not need to run cable through my house?

You'd need a pre-existing outlet. By install they really mean 'plug-in'.

You'd need a pre-existing outlet. By install they really mean 'plug-in'.
Ahh. *ers. Want to put a box outside on my deck, don't wanna pay the two 75 buck fees though.

but i thought hdmi did audio too?

basically

foxtel ----> tv = ok

foxtel -----> theatre system ------> tv = not ok.
(via hdmi) (via hdmi)

So I assume you are running 2 HDMI cables
1st Cable from Foxtel Box to Home Theatre DVD System
2nd HDMI Cable from Home Theatre System to TV

I'm fairly sure running two different HDMI cables through the home theatre system is what is confusing it. I had the same issue with my HD setup as well. In the end I picked up an optical audio cable ($10 off ebay) and just have the following

Foxtel -> TV = HDMI (for picture)
TV -> Home Theatre = Optical Audio (for sound)

The optical audio is suggested because it pushes any audio coming through the TV, and directs it to the home theatre. Meaning all TV that I watch (Foxtel, PS3, Regular TV, Streaming etc..) goes out through surround sound rather than using HDMI through the home theatre, which would limit surround sound to a particular input (in this case foxtel)

I hope some of this was mildly coherent

I'm fairly sure running two different HDMI cables through the home theatre system is what is confusing it. I had the same issue with my HD setup as well. In the end I picked up an optical audio cable ($10 off ebay) and just have the following

The optical audio is suggested because it pushes any audio coming through the TV, and directs it to the home theatre. Meaning all TV that I watch (Foxtel, PS3, Regular TV, Streaming etc..) goes out through surround sound rather than using HDMI through the home theatre, which would limit surround sound to a particular input (in this case foxtel)

thanks for your reply mate.

in the end got foxtel in to home theatre system, then HTS out to tv.

figured it out. basically gotta go through HTS to watch foxtel. no need for optical.

god when it worked it was all so simple!!

haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is how I have it set up also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i find the Audio quality better through HDMI. and with PS4 or Blu-ray players Optical doesnt produce HD Audio.

My set up is TV=HDMI=== AVR

The AVR has
HDMI1 Foxtel
HDMI2 PS4
HDMI3 PS3
HDMI4 Oppo
Optical1 PC [Watching downloaded shows/ESPN3/Gamepass on my TV] With PC connected to the TV on HDMI2

I'm using Foxtel Go on a PC, noticed that the Fox Sports Plus channels are listed (and viewable) as
551 - Fox Sports Plus 1
552 - Fox Sports Plus 2
553 - Fox Sports Plus 3
554 - Fox Sports Plus 4

If that's how they were listed on an actual Foxtel box then you would be able to iQ them. The app has an iQ button next to every program on every channel. Trying to record something on 552, it then says "Record" then "Scheduling", then says "Something went wrong. Please try again later."

I have a mate that says in the UK, you can record those ad-hoc sports channels over there.

I'm using Foxtel Go on a PC, noticed that the Fox Sports Plus channels are listed (and viewable) as
551 - Fox Sports Plus 1
552 - Fox Sports Plus 2
553 - Fox Sports Plus 3
554 - Fox Sports Plus 4

If that's how they were listed on an actual Foxtel box then you would be able to iQ them. The app has an iQ button next to every program on every channel. Trying to record something on 552, it then says "Record" then "Scheduling", then says "Something went wrong. Please try again later."

I have a mate that says in the UK, you can record those ad-hoc sports channels over there.

Fox Sports+ channels are the Red button streams. that why you cant record them.

Fox Sports+ channels are the Red button streams. that why you cant record them.
I know that. My point is, again:
- they are listed as 551, 552, 553 and 554 on the Foxtel Go app. If they were 551, 552, 553 and 554 on Foxtel, we would be able to record them
- my mate who is English but lives here says that in the UK you can record the ad-hoc sports channels

I know that. My point is, again:
- they are listed as 551, 552, 553 and 554 on the Foxtel Go app. If they were 551, 552, 553 and 554 on Foxtel, we would be able to record them
- my mate who is English but lives here says that in the UK you can record the ad-hoc sports channels
Will probably launch this feature with the new IQ and claim it as "revolutionary"

I got a letter from them yesterday. I've been on Platinum HD for a few years now (currently $134/month). From Nov 3 my 'bonus content' (at no extra charge!) amounts to the Boxsets channel and 2 movie rentals per month until the end of 2015. WHOOP-DE-FREAKIN-DO!

What I find interesting/annoying is that there's no discount for having everything. If you add up the cost (new prices) of all the packs, incl. HD, it comes to $130 per month. So essentially you then pay $4 for 2 movie rentals.

Time for the "cancellation" phone call I reckon.

Time for the "cancellation" phone call I reckon.

Stay strong brother - they're trying to be a bit tougher on the discounts.

It's still possible, but you need to have your argument ready, you have to be vehement about it and you have to be ready to pull the trigger on the disconnection. I know in the past I've pulled the trigger, then they've called me back to continue my previous deal the day before disconnection.

Of course, the argument has never been easier... their summer sport is rubbish, most of their shows are available through other means, and I have to think that mentioning the impending introduction of Netflix is making them panic.

you have to be ready to pull the trigger on the disconnection. I know in the past I've pulled the trigger, then they've called me back to continue my previous deal the day before disconnection.
Definitely gotta be willing to go through with the disconnect. Ultimately, if I didn't have Foxtel I'd survive. As mentioned, there are other means to access content.

I still reckon a better model would be to offer people packages of X-number of channels (of their choice) at varying price points. For example, 30 channels for $X, 50 for $Y. Get away from this "you must have all these channels you never watch".

Foxtel accidentally put a test website live for a little while and some screenshots have been leaked. The new iQ3 box will record up to 3 programs at once and of course there will be a once-off upgrade fee, possibly $150. Nothing official regarding a launch date but it will be this year.

Foxtel accidentally put a test website live for a little while and some screenshots have been leaked. The new iQ3 box will record up to 3 programs at once and of course there will be a once-off upgrade fee, possibly $150. Nothing official regarding a launch date but it will be this year.

im gunna wait for ibox 4

Anyone figured out how to use box sets on demand?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back