News Bob Murphy named Next WB Captain

Who would you prefer to be the next WB Captain?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope Bingo Bob can help propelgate the club to new heights

Me too DexT. Hopefully he can have a good influence of the group. We still have quite a way to go in becoming a better side but slowly we are getting there. Despite the poor 2014 season I saw some good signs in our team as well which we need to build on.

Likewise your Brad Sewell, looking forward to him joining our coaching group.
A club couldn't do much better than to recruit him into a coaching role. Great leader, teacher and having heard him speak about the game on AFL360 and elsewhere he has a great philosophy about footy which I'm sure will see him become a senior coach one day if he chooses to take that path.

Overwhelming support and displays of affection from the Club's faithful for Bob's ascension to the Captaincy of the Club. He speaks and thinks about our Club with a real reverence and clearly has a love for the game which resonates for people as both players and fans. I'm hoping we can see some o those values and beliefs he holds present in post game media and on field leadership. A bit of emotion back around the place. Give us a lift!

What great and timely appointment... I couldn't help but think listening to Murph speak yesterday at just how stupid a decision it was to select Griff actually was... hats off to Bevo for getting this done so quick....I'm lovin the vibe at the kennel atm...

With all due respect to Boydy ... why not Bob in 2011?

At the moment he is the best of a really bad bunch we have now.

Back in 2011...
Murphy was probably in a corner with headphones writing poetry.
Cooney was and is not interested in leadership at any stage of his career. (Probably just worried about getting a game due to his knee)
Griffen was staring intensely at the blank wall next to his locker.

Boyd at least wanted the role and lead by example.

Back in 2011...
Cooney was and is not interested in leadership at any stage of his career. (Probably just worried about getting a game due to his knee)
Griffen was staring intensely at the blank wall next to his locker.

Boyd at least wanted the role and led by example.
Bad bunch????? :confused: It's a great bunch, just an unready bunch, but that's temporary.

I expect Murph and Bev to develop leadership around the club to unprecedented levels. :)

Was the obvious choice. Very happy.

Hopefully name a young guy as VC, but not Stringer. He should just focus on playing a full season.

A bad bunch? The bad of the bunch have been regurgitated like a dodgy dim sim and now that they are all out of our system we are feeling much better thanks. Out of anyone there, Murph is Bulldog through & through and l reakon he can lead the rest of them to thinking of the Club rather than only themselves (which is what Griffin & Co. ended up doing).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was the obvious choice. Very happy.

Hopefully name a young guy as VC, but not Stringer. He should just focus on playing a full season.
Bev in no hurry to name any further leaders as yet, until he gets to know the group. Wants to get the leadership structure as right as possible.

Back in 2011...

Bad bunch NO, young bunch YES. I wouldn't call Murph, Dale and Boyd a bad bunch either, just a small bunch.

What's wrong with writing poetry? Murph has always been a key leader within the group and our most visible media figure. His involvement with small things like their Monday ritual and music in the gym, means he is not disconnected from the group (with his headphones on). He is interested in literature, music and culture. Perhaps not the norm in AFL circles, but that doesn't mean he's been hiding in the corner.

I think Murph is a great choice for a transitional period at our footy club. As he says, he will be a calming influence in the good times and bad.

But one of his most important functions must be to nurture the next bunch of very strong leaders and to inculcate a team first ethos amongst the whole group.....so that in 2 years time we are, leadership wise and team wise, ready to to have a crack.

In terms of on field analysis of what's happening to us and being able to make a difference in the hottest of contests (ala Hodge), I don't know how influential Murph will be. He may well find he loses a yard of pace over the next year or 2 and we have to keep our fingers crossed re injuries.

There is much romanticism going into the support for Murph, and as a well liked bloke who loves the club to bits, you couldn't get better. I think he will be a great captain for a young side in transition, that is, he is the right man for the times.

But, for me, his success or otherwise, needs to be judged on the leadership readiness of his successors. I see it as crucial that we start producing the right men made of the right stuff to lead us into the next stage of our journey.

boyohboyoh...
Murphy's appointment completes a structural football department shakeup that has proved incredibly refreshing and constructive
which has solved a myriad of problems
and now the cherry on the cake
a great man ready and more than able to lead

I feel that we are becoming a real threat

Incredible off-season - surgical

WELL DONE CLUB MANAGEMENT
Peter Gordon's crisis management and vision has been outstanding
Simon Garlick has said and made all the right moves
And the list managers have been spot on

as we say in cradle of western civilization

.. we fell off the acropolis and landed on a wallet.....

How f@cken good has the break been for this club?

Last edited:
Again in this presser, there is the intimation that there has been significant changes in our off field and support staff. ?????? Yes we have a new senior coach, but has anyone else actually left ? And has that been officially announced. I don't mean players here.
I know I have been overseas for pretty much the entire off season to date, but I still try to keep up on all things Bulldogs. Is there something I have missed ? I have scrutinised the training vision on our site, and all the faces are the same ones you expect to see out there.

Now there has been plenty of rumour and suggestions as to who would and should go on BF etc. But has anyone else actually walked, or been pushed ?
I am aware of Grant also in retrospect. Is that the extent of it ???

Again in this presser, there is the intimation that there has been significant changes in our off field and support staff. ?????? Yes we have a new senior coach, but has anyone else actually left ? And has that been officially announced. I don't mean players here.
I know I have been overseas for pretty much the entire off season to date, but I still try to keep up on all things Bulldogs. Is there something I have missed ? I have scrutinised the training vision on our site, and all the faces are the same ones you expect to see out there.

Now there has been plenty of rumour and suggestions as to who would and should go on BF etc. But has anyone else actually walked, or been pushed ?
Haven't Mooney and Scarlett left? Hopefully they mean we get people who have a more permanent role in those positions?

Finally got around to watching the Murphy Captain announcement video. It feels very good to actually have a captain who is good in the media and will sell the club. Congrats Murph.

Pretty much all the support staff are brand new. We cleaned out our medical team and brought in a new physio department too.

Finally got around to watching the Murphy Captain announcement video. It feels very good to actually have a captain who is good in the media and will sell the club. Congrats Murph.
He complements Beveridge well in the media.

Beveridge is a man of short, direct and prosaic sentences, and (so far) is not prone to obvious spin. That's a good thing.

Murphy is quite candid too, but is more lyrical. He's witty and conjures up images and expressions that are not cliched and are very quotable. Journos, being inherently lazy, will want the stories to write themselves, so they will love a bloke like Murph and will seek him out. And Murphy won't be shy. That in turn will help boost the club's visibility.

By contrast I can't recall Griffen being reported saying anything much last year. Combine that with the dreary post-match press conferences from Macca and you have a PR abyss.

Back