Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Here's how it works-

1.Randomly choose numbers between 1 and 48. Choose as many numbers as you want between say five and fifteen (you can use random.org to generate the numbers)

2.Assume the players represented by the number are injured.

3.Pick a 22 from the remaining players

The idea is to investigate our depth. Do we really need an extra tall back? Ruckman? Tall forward? As much as we love Logan do we really need him on the rookie list.

I've done it a few times. With eleven injuries and only two of them a big men (Lobbe and Redden), I still couldn't find a spot for Sam Gray or Logan. Next time I had twelve and lost 6 big men in a perfect storm (Carlile, Trengove, Clurey, Westhoff, Shaw and Redden) so that Ryder and Hombsch were the key backs and Schulz and Butcher up forward. Third time 15 injuries, and I lost the entire engine room- Boak, Gray, Wines, Lobbe and Wingard). But my first ruck was still tidy with Ryder, Moore, Hartlett, Ebert, Cornes with Polec and Young to help out. I also chose AhChee ahead of Sam Gray as the extra mid and Colquhoun ahead of Logan as both Pittard and Impey were out but I could see others doing the opposite.

What I learnt-

Redden is always injured even in randomly generated fictional games
I can't see Logan and Sam Gray playing next year- depth in their positions is good
Even with significant injuries/form slumps we can field a good side. So depth is excellent.

Conclusion- (apart from one extra ready to go ruckman) this is the year for project players, not depth players. So it's the year for the huge talents who slide because they have missed so much footy over the last two years such as the SA ruckman, Read. If we did add a mature ruckman, Ryder would become an option to play key back, if needed.

So it's looking for someone who "would be first round if he hadn't been injured all year" types and skinny talents who need a year or two to fill out.

Yea the list isn't in too bad a shape.

Injuries are unpredictable and planning for them is tough. Even Hawthorn, Geelong and Freo struggled when they lost key personnel and this is when they dropped games. They key is getting them fit for the finals, which is something we and the above did well this year.

Here's how it works-

1.Randomly choose numbers between 1 and 48. Choose as many numbers as you want between say five and fifteen (you can use random.org to generate the numbers)

2.Assume the players represented by the number are injured.

3.Pick a 22 from the remaining players

The idea is to investigate our depth. Do we really need an extra tall back? Ruckman? Tall forward? As much as we love Logan do we really need him on the rookie list.

I've done it a few times. With eleven injuries and only two of them a big men (Lobbe and Redden), I still couldn't find a spot for Sam Gray or Logan. Next time I had twelve and lost 6 big men in a perfect storm (Carlile, Trengove, Clurey, Westhoff, Shaw and Redden) so that Ryder and Hombsch were the key backs and Schulz and Butcher up forward. Third time 15 injuries, and I lost the entire engine room- Boak, Gray, Wines, Lobbe and Wingard). But my first ruck was still tidy with Ryder, Moore, Hartlett, Ebert, Cornes with Polec and Young to help out. I also chose AhChee ahead of Sam Gray as the extra mid and Colquhoun ahead of Logan as both Pittard and Impey were out but I could see others doing the opposite.

What I learnt-

Redden is always injured even in randomly generated fictional games
I can't see Logan and Sam Gray playing next year- depth in their positions is good
Even with significant injuries/form slumps we can field a good side. So depth is excellent.

Conclusion- (apart from one extra ready to go ruckman) this is the year for project players, not depth players. So it's the year for the huge talents who slide because they have missed so much footy over the last two years such as the SA ruckman, Read. If we did add a mature ruckman, Ryder would become an option to play key back, if needed.

So it's looking for someone who "would be first round if he hadn't been injured all year" types and skinny talents who need a year or two to fill out.

... 1.Randomly choose numbers between 1 and 48. Choose as many numbers as you want between say five and fifteen (you can use random.org to generate the numbers) ......
OK the Random Sequence Generator on random.org was asked to randomise 1 to 48 and I took the first 15. 38 is a currently unassigned number so I took the 16th number which was 16, then gave 38 to Paddy Ryder as a certain 2015 player (once ASADA penalties wash through).
28 (Schulz)
8 (Hartlett)
21 (Polec)
43 (* Amon)
26 (Moore)
27 (Carlile)
23 Lobbe)
29 (Pittard)
38 unassigned - for the sake of this exercise I'm giving it to Paddy Ryder
32 (Neade)
33 (* Bryce-Jones)
19 (White)
18 (Cornes)
31 (* Harvey)
17 (Clurey)
16 (Wines)
* yet to play senior games.
.... 2.Assume the players represented by the number are injured .......
Aaaaaaggghh!
.... 3.Pick a 22 from the remaining players .... The idea is to investigate our depth. .....
I'm left with (in the order they generated):
11 (Butcher)
45 (* Flynn)
39 (Westhoff)
42 (Jonas)
15 (unassigned)
35 (unassigned)
34 (Redden)
44 (Logan)
22 (Shaw)
20 (Wingard)
37 (Mitchell)
4 (unassigned)
14 (Stewart)
2 (unassigned)
41 (Ah Chee)
24 (Impey)
48 (47 is as high as we currently go)
3 (unassigned)
47 (* Russell)
40 (Young)
5 (Broadbent)
9 (Gray, R)
30 (Colquhoun)
6 (Monfries)
1 (Boak)
36 (Hombsch)
46 (Gray, S)
25 (unassigned)
7 (Ebert)
13 (O'Shea)
12 (Trengove)
10 (unassigned)

My team is:
FB 24 (Impey), 36 (Hombsch), 44 (Logan)
HB 39 (Westhoff), 42 (Jonas), 5 (Broadbent)
C 40 (Young), 41 (Ah Chee), 30 (Colquhoun)
HF 9 (Gray, R), 11 (Butcher), 6 (Monfries)
FF 20 (Wingard), 22 (Shaw), 46 (Gray, S)
FOLL 12 (Trengove), 1 (Boak), 7 (Ebert)
INT 37 (Mitchell), 14 (Stewart), 47 (* Russell), 45 (* Flynn)

The only missing player is 34 Redden who is still on the injury list as far as I know

.... What I learnt .....
That was fun. We can still field a team of sorts. I don't want 15 injuries. FWIW we don't know if we'll use our couple of draft picks to pick up another 'ready to play' player like Krakouer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back