Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The recruiters obviously put a lot of time into him but for whatever reason have apparently gone cold which I hope will be enough for all the fanboys on the board to finally start using their hands for other purposes once again.

I've seen this a few times but where's the evidence? Our recruiters have said nothing. It's all media speculation.

If Cockatoo has flown to Gold Coast, then the reason we won't be getting him is because someone else does before us.

its not a top 10 thing pheeewView attachment 94471

It is a top 10 thing. Only players nominated by clubs with a top 10 pick get invited. He might be a second or third option for one of those clubs but he is definitely there because he may go top 10.

It is a top 10 thing. Only players nominated by clubs with a top 10 pick get invited. He might be a second or third option for one of those clubs but he is definitely there because he may go top 10.
so if thats the case wouldnt most of top 20 be there for those reasons. guys like duggan and weller. who could go between 5 and 20

I've only got the highlight packages to go on but I don't see how Laverde is rated a possible top 5 pick. He is agile ,can take a mark and his handball is good but his kicking is average. I can't see him ever being a class midfielder, more your flanker wingman type. Picketts highlights didn't really do it for me either. I'd be inclined to go all in and hope we hit the flush on the river with Cockatoo. I don't think we will though and I can see us all in 4 yrs time going why didn't we take the punt. Of the other highlights I've watched, Menadue impressed me, hopefully he's still around for our second pick.

Is that why masten is such a gun player? The days of 'being a good kick' aren't the be all and end all. You need to have more strings to your bow. Duggans kick looks 'tidy' rather then elite, like Gaffs. It's also reported his kicking drops off under pressure, which is understandable, but that's at 18's level. It will drop off even more when he has a man wanting to hit him and not a teenager.

As for his pace, how is he not slow? He ran over 3 seconds in the 20m sprint. Hutchings ran under 3 seconds both times he tested. Would you also say Hutchings isn't slow, because i certainly would. Duggan is actually slower.

Man I'm getting sick of this "Hutchings ran a 2.83s sprint but does he look fast to you?" nonsense. Hutchings is clearly an anomaly. He specifically trained up for the 20m sprint to boost his chances of getting selected because it was one of the biggest doubts surrounding his game. Pickett ran a similar time and he's damn fast.
Duggan isn't a particularly fast player but besides that he's the most rounded prospect available. I feel like many people on this board are thinking far too short term. Outside run is currently a perceived weakness but no draftee is going to make that phenomenal of a difference straight away. Duggan will be apart of our next generation far more than our current generation, so to choose a fast player on a needs basis now could hurt us in the future. Best available is the way to go especially with first round selections. Of course, if two players are rated on par then needs may come into it, but the way I see it is if Duggan is available and is rated the highest we'd be crazy to take another player purely because they can run fast.

Duggan has a very good, long penetrating kick and most importantly smarts and vision to use it to great effect. Duggan, blakley, smith and Markov is a great mix to add. fingers crossed.
Yes he kicked some goals outside 50 in his highlights ..Good Mark . also he is December born .. no i am not into the capricorn thing or whatever the zodiac is , it just means he the young end of the age group this year.

- I have noticed Cockatoo was listed at 188cms and then 186 and now is 185?

- With Jayden Laverde is he capable of playing as a mid full time or will he be like Darling who plays his best as a 3rd tall but only little burst in the midfield? Looking at his highlights his disposal isn't that bad and if you take a look at Fyfe his is pretty average.

so if thats the case wouldnt most of top 20 be there for those reasons. guys like duggan and weller. who could go between 5 and 20
There are 16 players there now I believe. Duggan and Weller should be.
The clubs nominate who they might pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen this a few times but where's the evidence? Our recruiters have said nothing. It's all media speculation.

If Cockatoo has flown to Gold Coast, then the reason we won't be getting him is because someone else does before us.

Have GWS explicitly stated that they will take Pickett? The point is that the expert draft journalists invariably have inside information that more often than not is correct.
I'm expecting Cockatoo to join the Suns at #15 which could explain his late call up to the draft. But I highly doubt anyone being called up quite this late is a shoe in to be taken top 10. There's another 15 or so blokes there a third of which won't be top 10 so just because Cockatoo's there doesn't mean he won't be available at #11.

Man I'm getting sick of this "Hutchings ran a 2.83s sprint but does he look fast to you?" nonsense. Hutchings is clearly an anomaly. He specifically trained up for the 20m sprint to boost his chances of getting selected because it was one of the biggest doubts surrounding his game. Pickett ran a similar time and he's damn fast.
Duggan isn't a particularly fast player but besides that he's the most rounded prospect available. I feel like many people on this board are thinking far too short term. Outside run is currently a perceived weakness but no draftee is going to make that phenomenal of a difference straight away. Duggan will be apart of our next generation far more than our current generation, so to choose a fast player on a needs basis now could hurt us in the future. Best available is the way to go especially with first round selections. Of course, if two players are rated on par then needs may come into it, but the way I see it is if Duggan is available and is rated the highest we'd be crazy to take another player purely because they can run fast.

We don't need a rounded prospect. We did literally that exact thing last year by drafting the safe bet rounded prospect in Sheed, and yet low and behold our midfield is still toilet and he spent most of the season in the WAFL

The comparison is Duggan vs Laverde. And no way would we be opting to draft Laverde "purely because he's fast". His entire package is something we're completely lacking, not just his speed.

In all my 100 metre races I have ever raced I have always been in front at the 20m mark by the 50 mark I was always last .. maybe its a reaction to a gun sound but no one fires a gun and everyone sprints from a standing start in a footy game its generally a rolling start to a dodge weave and then run .. ii wouldnt put much into the 20 m sprint test

The point is that the expert draft journalists invariably have inside information that more often than not is correct.

I'm not that convinced - the clubs will feed them information but it's more likely to be to throw others off a scent. I'd like to see someone assess the hit rate of the phantom drafts of the expert journalists as against a crowdsourcing of all the BigFooty guesses.

Not true. I know Liam Dawson, who Brisbane are selecting at pick 44 as an academy selection and he's going. He also knows of other players that won't be selected in the top 10 that are attending.

But he doesn't have a funny sounding name and I don't like his highlight video enough. Were crazy not to draft a guy who dominated a game against the underagers.

Not true. I know Liam Dawson, who Brisbane are selecting at pick 44 as an academy selection and he's going. He also knows of other players that won't be selected in the top 10 that are attending.
A Brisbane player attending the draft on the Gold Coast is not evidence of much IMO.

The late nature of him attending is what makes it interesting. Has he risen in calculations so they need to get him there for the presentation? Is a club just trying to throw others off and perhaps get them to pull the trigger early? Are we simply reading too much into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back