L. Hodge v M. Voss

Who would you prefer?

• L. Hodge

Votes: 33 14.3%
  • M. Voss

Votes: 197 85.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you would find most people would rate voss ahead of Hird and Buckley but they are all extremely close. Ablett is the greatest mid in history.

As far as that debate gores I think Hird has the X factor that Buckley and voss don't have.

Sometime you could watch a quarter of James hird and think that nobody else could ever be that good. It might have only happened 10 times across his career but you just remember them as though you were still in the stands. The only current players I have seen that with are Judd, buddy and Ablett.

I can't really say that with voss, not saying he wasn't as good, just that his best wasn't as memorable

Even Robbo places his beloved James Hird behind Michael Voss. Love to hear who these top players were? Voss > Hird >>> Hodge

Off the top of my head the group comprised guys like Carey, Dunstall, Harvey, Aker, Ricciuto, Matera, SOS, Roos. Pretty much a who's who of the era. Some rated Voss higher, some rated Hird higher. Overall, Hird came in about double the votes. It's a similar consensus to what I see among the footy followers that I personally know; some rate Voss, some rate Hird, but Hird is always the man who ends up out in front. For me, it's Hird the player without blinking.

FWIW Robbo's list was only from seasons 2000-2009 and even then, he said he could have gone either way.

If I was rating players I'd go something like Ablett Jnr > Hird > Judd > Buckley/Voss >>> Hodge

Off the top of my head the group comprised guys like Carey, Dunstall, Harvey, Aker, Ricciuto, Matera, SOS, Roos. Pretty much a who's who of the era. Some rated Voss higher, some rated Hird higher. Overall, Hird came in about double the votes. It's a similar consensus to what I see among the footy followers that I personally know; some rate Voss, some rate Hird, but Hird is always the man who ends up out in front. For me, it's Hird the player without blinking.

FWIW Robbo's list was only from seasons 2000-2009 and even then, he said he could have gone either way.

If I was rating players I'd go something like Ablett Jnr > Hird > Judd > Buckley/Voss > plenty in between > Hodge
they also asked players who they would take out of Brown, Rewioldt and Pavlich and brown had about 6 votes pavlich 2 votes and reiwoldt 1 vote. Would you rank them like that?

If I was rating players I'd go something like Ablett Jnr > Hird > Judd > Buckley/Voss >>> Hodge
Can you post the source? I have found that Voss actually shades Hird and Buckley in most footy circles. Which I find more impressive due to the Victorian bias Hird and Buckley receive.

Voss and Hird's careers pretty much mirror themselves while Voss achieved more overall and at a younger age. So the fact you say Robbo only judged off the 2000s is more of you trying to vindicate your argument.

I can't really say that with voss, not saying he wasn't as good, just that his best wasn't as memorable

I remember Voss having individual games kicking plenty of big goals while getting lots of the ball, so to me his best is about as good as I've seen in the last 20 years.

Voss has 5 AA's, a brownlow, is a 3 time premiership winning captain, 2 AFLPA best players and 4 AFLPA best captains. The key difference between the two that Hodge has/is better than Voss in is Grand Final performances - with two Norm Smiths Hodge's way (very impressive). In straight up achievements, the gap between the two is still very big.

Can you post the source? I have found that Voss actually shades Hird and Buckley in most footy circles. Which I find more impressive due to the Victorian bias Hird and Buckley receive.

Found it - here

I've found the opposite. I've found most people I speak with rate Hird a better player than the other two, with Voss getting the nod for his leadership in much the same way that leadership elevates Hodge beyond the player he actually is. In saying that, Hodge doesn't rate among any of these players.

Voss and Hird's careers pretty much mirror themselves while Voss achieved more overall and at a younger age. So the fact you say Robbo only judged off the 2000s is more of you trying to vindicate your argument.

I'd say if you asked people back at the turn of the century who was the better player, most would have said Hird. Voss' legend grew 10 fold during the three-peat years where he snaffled up flags, MVP's and most of his All Australian's.

they also asked players who they would take out of Brown, Rewioldt and Pavlich and brown had about 6 votes pavlich 2 votes and reiwoldt 1 vote. Would you rank them like that?

No I wouldn't. But if someone was saying "I think you would find most people would rate Riewoldt ahead of Brown" then that would be quite a rebuttal wouldn't it? You should check the post I was replying to at this point.

One of the easiest polls I've ever voted on, which, in itself, renders the poll unworthy.

Voss - easily.

In the top 10 players I've seen in the last 40 years. He's been the best of the best in the most professional era of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found it - here

I've found the opposite. I've found most people I speak with rate Hird a better player than the other two, with Voss getting the nod for his leadership in much the same way that leadership elevates Hodge beyond the player he actually is. In saying that, Hodge doesn't rate among any of these players.

I'd say if you asked people back at the turn of the century who was the better player, most would have said Hird. Voss' legend grew 10 fold during the three-peat years where he snaffled up flags, MVP's and most of his All Australian's.
You're not going to change your mind which is fair enough.

I'll just finish by saying I've read how highly you rate the Brisbane team of 2001-2003 and Voss won 2/3 B&F's during that period and finished 2nd in the 2002 season. To do that in a team of champions is no fluke. Sure if he wins one you can say he had a one off blinder of a season, but to finish 1st, 2nd and 1st in premiership years is a sign of how high up the greatness tree he goes. Hird on the other hand didn't win 1 B&F in any of his premiership years (or in the 1999 or 2001 successful Essendon sides). Voss simply couldn't be surpassed at his peak, he was the best player and the best leader in the best team on more than one occasion, Hird didn't reach that level IMO.

You're not going to change your mind which is fair enough.

I'll just finish by saying I've read how highly you rate the Brisbane team of 2001-2003 and Voss won 2/3 B&F's during that period and finished 2nd in the 2002 season. To do that in a team of champions is no fluke. Sure if he wins one you can say he had a one off blinder of a season, but to finish 1st, 2nd and 1st in premiership years is a sign of how high up the greatness tree he goes. Hird on the other hand didn't win 1 B&F in any of his premiership years (or in the 1999 or 2001 successful Essendon sides). Voss simply couldn't be surpassed at his peak, he was the best player and the best leader in the best team on more than one occasion, Hird didn't reach that level IMO.

Yea, I'd boof him aswell.

This thread proves my ongoing point that hodge is compared to the wrong players

I'll just finish by saying I've read how highly you rate the Brisbane team of 2001-2003 and Voss won 2/3 B&F's during that period and finished 2nd in the 2002 season. To do that in a team of champions is no fluke. Sure if he wins one you can say he had a one off blinder of a season, but to finish 1st, 2nd and 1st in premiership years is a sign of how high up the greatness tree he goes. Hird on the other hand didn't win 1 B&F in any of his premiership years (or in the 1999 or 2001 successful Essendon sides).

Bit rough on Jim there. Played all of 2 games in 1999 with injury and only played 20 games in 2000 but still came second in the B&F and won the Norm Smith.

Voss is champ and like I said, his legend in those years grew a lot due his performance over that time, the accolades of which you refer to here in part. It's impressive for sure. I'm without doubt in rating Hird higher as a player though, but really it seems to come down to personal preference and has no consensus in wider football circles, which is why the debate over these three continues well after they've retired. You can see from the article I linked, that even the greats of the era have differing views, with some rating Hird and others rating Voss. Certainly no matter which way you go, you can't be "wrong" per se.

if hawks supporters were offended that Judd was leading Hodge in their comparison thread that they had to make this poll to validate their support of Hodge they ought to be even more offended now

if hawks supporters were offended that Judd was leading Hodge in their comparison thread that they had to make this poll to validate their support of Hodge they ought to be even more offended now
Even though the majority of Hawks supporters are saying Voss is better, including those that are defending Hodge in the Judd thread....

Back