Official Club Stuff 2015 Membership - target 60 000+ REACHED

Remove this Banner Ad

That's 7,500 more possible Essential Memberships packages, for both clubs.

Charm doesn't bring in revenue to club's, only costs increase on memberships.

And Yes, many people would want to a huge enclosed MCG-esque bowl if both SA clubs are winning.

"Part of the charm of Adelaide Oval is having that end open with the trees and the old scoreboard and the hill", I hear this a lot, when in reality the SMA were given a limit amount of funds to work with, this was just an excuse not to build on it.... for the charm of it..... seriously people.....

Unfortunately for the tree huggers, money dictates everything, it can also buy tree's.

Adelaide Oval's development is maxxed out and is good as it's ever gonna get.

I think we forget just how far the oval has come when even the thought of retractable light towers was considered blasphemy times kicking a baby into a microwave, let alone proper stands and whatnot.

What we have is a perfect mixture of old and new, at about the right size to keep the right balance of supply and demand. Any bigger and I reckon membership sales would decrease, given like with Footy Park, you never needed a season ticket to get in whenever you liked. Having a capacity below demand means everyone is forced to stump their money up front or risk missing out.

Good luck changing the Adelaide Oval Redevlopment and Mangement Act which at the moment says the hill and scoreboard is locked in for perpituity.

So if the AFL wanted to purchase Adelaide Oval or any other investor, would it still be bound to the Adelaide Oval Redevlopment and Mangement Act?

demand and supply imbalance at Subi means WCE can charge $770/seat for 12,000 seats on the wing.

AOSMA charges $650 for 22 game pass in the western stand. Essential Platinum only sells for $390.

When it comes to stadium yield Bigger isnt always better.

Last edited:

So if the AFL wanted to purchase Adelaide Oval or any other investor, would it still be bound to the Adelaide Oval Redevlopment and Mangement Act?
yep. But the ACC isnt going to sell the land it leased to the minister and the government isnt going to sell the buildings.

Adelaide Oval's development is maxxed out and is good as it's ever gonna get.

I think we forget just how far the oval has come when even the thought of retractable light towers was considered blasphemy times kicking a baby into a microwave, let alone proper stands and whatnot.

What we have is a perfect mixture of old and new, at about the right size to keep the right balance of supply and demand. Any bigger and I reckon membership sales would decrease, given like with Footy Park, you never needed a season ticket to get in whenever you liked. Having a capacity below demand means everyone is forced to stump their money up front or risk missing out.

Our membership has increased for two reason's... the main one being that we are winning games.... and the other is the upgrade of Adelaide oval, but that debatable. whether it was a 55k or 65K stadium the membership tally would be the same 2014.

Its great to be a position of the capacity below demand, but that just brings increases in cost at the gate, not just for the member, but also for the general public. So if your happy with the stadium as it is, then you wont be complaining about the increase in costs because of the demand.

Don't get me wrong, I like the stadium, I go to every game and I have no complaints, other than the elevators piss me off and the cost of a hotdog that contains traces of meat, as apposed to IKEA's $1 dollar hot dog. Ignore that, just being a knob,...... and perhaps for this whole discussion I have raised.

Its great to be a position of the capacity below demand, but that just brings increases in cost at the gate, not just for the member, but also for the general public. So if your happy with the stadium as it is, then you wont be complaining about the increase in costs because of the demand.

Ticket/membership price increase is a necessity not just because tickets are now at a premium in terms of demand, but its also a neccessity due to the face we still lost $2m this year. Now people can complain about the stadium deal but we've had the cheapest memberships and tickets in the AFL for some time now. Quite simply, we wont survive unless we increase the cost of seeing us play. All Port supporters should be behind that.

As has been mentioned, there is no guarantee that increasing the size of the stadium again will increase our membership or attendance. We still had many games this year with crowds in the 30s, despite the fact we were flying at the time. When the inevitable fall down the ladder happens, its gonna look damn bare in a 70k stadium with 25k turning up.

Ticket/membership price increase is a necessity not just because tickets are now at a premium in terms of demand, but its also a neccessity due to the face we still lost $2m this year. Now people can complain about the stadium deal but we've had the cheapest memberships and tickets in the AFL for some time now. Quite simply, we wont survive unless we increase the cost of seeing us play. All Port supporters should be behind that.

As has been mentioned, there is no guarantee that increasing the size of the stadium again will increase our membership or attendance. We still had many games this year with crowds in the 30s, despite the fact we were flying at the time. When the inevitable fall down the ladder happens, its gonna look damn bare in a 70k stadium with 25k turning up.
I don't think there'll be too many crowds below 40000 this year. The hated Saturday afternoon timeslot has been done away with, so I reckon our 2014 average of 44000 will be dwarfed this year - especially if the team continues to play fantastic footy.

21/11 - 1396
24/11 - 2583 (+1187)
25/11 - 3459 (+876)
27/11 - 5119 (+1660)
28/11 - 5777 (+658)
2/12 - 7024 (+1247)
3/12 - 7626 (+602)
4/12 - 8148 (+522)
5/12 - 8665 (+517)
8/12 - 9531 (+866)
9/12 - 10023 (+492)
10/12 - 10521 (+498)
11/12 - 11106 (+585)
12/12 - 11883 (+777)
15/12 - 12870 (+987)
16/12 - 13915 (+1045)
17/12 - 14715 (+800)
18/12 - 40120 (+25405)
19/12 - 42625 (+2525)
23/12 - 43866 (+1241)
24/12 - 45110 (+1244)
7/1 - 46038 (+928)
12/1 - 47330 (+1,292)
13/1 - 47967 (+637)
14/1 - 48790 (+823)
15/1 - 49560 (+770)
16/1 - 50000 (+440)
19/1 - 50278 (+278)
20/1 -50514 (+236)
21/1 - 50665 (+151)
22/1 - 50748 (+83)
23/1 - 50910 (+162)
27/1 - 51217 (+307)
28/1 - 51345 (+128)
29/1 - 51550 (+205)

Even well after the extended renewal date we are still signing up over 100 per day.

It continually surprises me that we are getting so many new members each day, although I would assume that among the numbers we are getting are also some extremely late renewals.

Last edited:
"Part of the charm of Adelaide Oval is having that end open with the trees and the old scoreboard and the hill", I hear this a lot, when in reality the SMA were given a limit amount of funds to work with, this was just an excuse not to build on it.... for the charm of it..... seriously people.....
Are you drunk. The oval looks amazing because of the way it is. The hill is an incredible asset and part of sporting culture in this state. The hill getting built on was never an option. It had ZERO to do with money.

The hill won't be built on for a long long time and neither should it.

Plus the concept that more seats = more ticket sales is crap. More seats = emptier stadium and less atmosphere, less demand and rush for tickets and as a result slower membership sales and ticket sales.

The size of AO how it is now is perfect, it is allowing us to raise prices and increase the profit margins, it is ensuring that there is a demand on tickets and that people must sign up quickly to avoid missing out and it also means that from week to week we have sell outs which in turn means more people getting memberships, more interest in wanting to go and more people buying daily tickets as soon as they are available.

Talk of a bigger stadium is not just stupid it ignores the basics of supply and demand, whilst also ignoring how the demand is helping us dramatically increase our membership base and game revenue.

Our membership has increased......... whether it was a 55k or 65K stadium the membership tally would be the same 2014.
Well this part is just flat out wrong. If there was no risk to people of missing out on a seat theN our membership would not be anywhere near the 51k total it is now. That is a fact. Many, many supporters have signed up ASAP and or joined the wait list just because of this risk. Add 7k seats and the risk is gone and people can take their time renewing. This is without even going into how 7k extra seats couldve effected the ticket price rise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you drunk. The oval looks amazing because of the way it is. The hill is an incredible asset and part of sporting culture in this state. The hill getting built on was never an option. It had ZERO to do with money.

Plus the concept that more seats = more ticket sales is crap. More seats = emptier stadium and less atmosphere, less demand and rush for tickets and as a result slower membership sales and ticket sales.

The size of AO how it is now is perfect, it is allowing us to raise prices and increase the profit margins, it is ensuring that there is a demand on tickets and that people must sign up quickly to avoid missing out and it also means that from week to week we have sell outs which in turn means more people getting memberships, more interest in wanting to go and more people buying daily tickets as soon as they are available.

Talk of a bigger stadium is not just stupid it ignores the basics of supply and demand, whilst also ignoring how the demand is helping us dramatically increase our membership base and game revenue.

Theres nothing wrong with creating demand. It certainly hasnt hurt West Coast over the years. If anything it should prove good to the bottom line, increase in demand means prices rise, club benefits.

I'm going to get this for my 3yo. Does the book(s?) come with the kit or is that a separate item?

Not sure about a book, I know there was tattoos, stickers, eye patch, small football, pencil-case thingy, poster ...

Supply and demand definitely does come into it. In the EPL Arsenal's cheapest season ticket is 1014 pounds ($1878) but Manchester City's cheapest is only 299 pounds ($554). The fact that Arsenal's ground is in London has a lot to do with this as well as their popularity. Manchester City's season ticket is actually cheaper than 15 non-EPL clubs.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29634838

Anyone know how many are on our waiting list atm ?

Anyone know how many are on our waiting list atm ?

There's no waiting list that isn't also the GA Wait List membership, so since we don't know the membership type breakdowns, we don't know that either. :)

Supply and demand definitely does come into it. In the EPL Arsenal's cheapest season ticket is 1014 pounds ($1878) but Manchester City's cheapest is only 299 pounds ($554). The fact that Arsenal's ground is in London has a lot to do with this as well as their popularity. Manchester City's season ticket is actually cheaper than 15 non-EPL clubs.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29634838
Because they are a s**t club owned by Oil tycoons with plastic supporters...

Right, if that doesn't get Eddie Dingle back here, nothing will!

Yep, will update it every week or so :)

D2h9ZCR.gif

Not this "get rid of the hill" s**t again. We only just upgraded the bloody ground. Part of the charm of Adelaide Oval is having that end open with the trees and the old scoreboard and the hill, not to mention the fact the trees are heritage listed and therefore aren't going anywhere anyhow. But let's ignore that and do a little thought experiment.

Currently according to the Adelaide Oval homepage the Northern end as a whole has a capacity of 6500, 3000 seated and 3500 standing while the Riverdance Stand holds 14000. That means if you build the same stand at the Northern end you'd have an extra 7500 seats total for a new total capacity of 61000 fans. What happens next year when we get to 65000? 70000? Will as many people want to come to a huge enclosed MCG-esque bowl? What about in 10 years when we're rebuilding?

Agree!
The hill is a priceless asset that stops AO becoming just another boring AAMI type venue.

Even well after the extended renewal date we are still signing up over 100 per day.

It continually surprises me that we are getting so many new members each day, although I would assume that among the numbers we are getting are also some extremely late renewals.
Look at every other year's membership increase, you'll find 100-200 is very normal for this time of year- just look at hammertime#8 's chart which shows lasts year's results, prior years at Footy Park were the same too.

This guy gets it

Yes, it does raise some interesting questions.

If we had 60K in memberships and so to the Crows, we should expect to 120K at the showdown, theoretically speaking (typing), therefore a stadium of a capacity of 100K would be the goal. But alas,

It has cost 500mil for the stadium "upgrade", 50mil for a "footbridge" for members to fill a 55K stadium. A pleb like me can see that the numbers do not favour a club wanting to seat every member when they reach this magical 60K number. It makes it a lot harder to capture a new member or upgrade an existing member if you cant offer a seat to every game.

As traditional, historic and original as it is, "the HILL" is taking up a lot of VALUABLE real estate. This reminds me of a derelict building on a huge block that is worth more if its bulldozed down and something new is built on it to create an income and a seat for our new members.

Some Questions people:

1. How much does is it cost to stand on the hill, $35-40? What is the limit, 4-5K, that's being generous.
  2. What is the capacity of the River Bank Stand? 30K?
  3. How many are allocated for reserved seats in the River Bank stand?
If we keep up this rate, we could out grow this upgraded stadium to a point where our income would remain the same each year. Therefore, cost increase's in memberships would rise to compensate for the increases in cost for the lease of Adelaide Oval. We could bring in more revenue IF there was a St. Peters Church Stand, perhaps another 20K more, which would lower the cost for all members and perhaps make it viable for our club to play there.

Now, I am speaking in hindsight, but you got to wonder now. Its nothing personal, it's just business!

The 1965 GF crowd of 62,543 goes to show that size doesn't always matter.. plus I'd imagine those tree came in handy for a significant number of punters ;)

1461048_10151801164313882_1659765858_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back