Memorable St Kilda matches you attended

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to a game in the early 90's. Saints vs Pies
Watched Lockett kick a bag at Waverely. We were up by close to 40 at three quarter time, I was only a kid. Pies supporters threw the toys out of the cot and left as usual. We just held on to win by maybe a goal.
Not really a significant day, still sticks with me to this day though for two reasons.
I couldnt believe how quick pies supporters were to turn on there own players, secondly for how freaky Monkhurst looked.

13th of August 1977, round 20, Melbourne vs St Kilda at the MCG. Arrived as a Melbourne supporter, watched Melbourne smash the Saints by 70 odd points, turned into a Saints supporter on the way home in the car with my Grandfather and brother. I felt sorry for both of them if I remember correctly, a good reason to dump the team who had just won!
I also remember the 1996 night grand final vividly. It was when the preseason cup counted, and was ALMOST as prestigious as winning the flag. Great game smashing Carlton.

Round 4, 2005 - Melbourne vs St Kilda - we had no tall forwards. Melbourne were considered premiership contender with Cameron Bruce a brownlow contender. Eddie had banged on in the footy show that we were going to lose. Bruce broke his collar after a fierce tackle. We won so well that day. Melbourne never recovered in 2005.

Round 4, 2005 - Melbourne vs St Kilda - we had no tall forwards. Melbourne were considered premiership contender with Cameron Bruce a brownlow contender. Eddie had banged on in the footy show that we were going to lose. Bruce broke his collar after a fierce tackle. We won so well that day. Melbourne never recovered in 2005.
Was that the game Dal Santo kicked 5 goals in? If so yeah that was a good game.

Was that the game Dal Santo kicked 5 goals in? If so yeah that was a good game.

Nope. You are talking about the 2nd game in that season or 2006. In this game Milne ran rampant, kicking 4 goals.

I also remember the 1996 night grand final vividly. It was when the preseason cup counted, and was ALMOST as prestigious as winning the flag. Great game smashing Carlton.

An amazing game that one. We couldn't get tickets, but I remember driving to waverley with my parents and the were even prepared to sit out in the carpark in the car with the radio on and listen to the crowd for the first bit, before racing home to watch the rest on TV.

It meant alot to me that match, I even still have the Grand Final record from that match. I was only 13 at the time.

The Troy Schwarze late goal game v Brisbane (2004) - epic game & epic crowd of 52,539 (12th biggest crowd ever at Etihad for a sporting event)

I was only a little kid but still remember being at Moorabbin the day Plugger kicked 10 on Silvagni & we beat Carlton when the big man kicked a goal after the siren! Think it was around 1987-88?

The Waverley Park hailstorm game against Brisbane Bears

The Craig Devonport - Ken Sheldon game v Collingwood at the G

All our recent Grand Finals - 1997, 2009, 2010-1, 2010-2 - I can still remember vividly the feeling that we may actually win the Grand Final..... and we didnt :(

Last edited:
The 2003 & 2004 wins over Brisbane stand out, as does the (Qualifying?) Final win against the Crows in Adelaide. The two 100+ point wins in a row in 2004 were pretty magic, and the 2009 Prelim was an incredible experience. I remember walloping the Tigers one day at the MCG and my boy at the time Jason Gram kicked a bag, and G Train got into double figures. Milnes routing of Brisbane (again) was special, doubly so as it was our largest ever win. I also remember a draw against the Dogs that we were all convinced we should have won.

Hard to go past Milney's 11 at the Dome in 2005. Seeing your favourite player kick 11.0 and beat a team by 139 was incredible.

But the last two Freo games have to go pretty close. The atmosphere and emotion was a step above despite the margin and crowd being roughly half.

Great thread for us oldies...

Time is getting the better of me now, but:

That game at Princes Park against Hawthorn. We were getting smashed. Paul Callery got knocked out and nearly died. Somehow we came back and beat the powerhouse.

Round 22 1976. Moorabbin was packed to the rafters. we smashed the Blues and Muir smashed Collins. Still haunts me that year... could of been etc etc.

Fehrings goal

1991 Elim final... finally after so many dark years!

1997 Prelim... see 1991.

1992 final, beating the filth.

Pretty much every game when Plugger played for us... Pretty much every game when GTrain played FF.

The entire 2009 season except the last game.

GF draw 2010. Still haven't recovered mentally from that one.

That game at Princes Park against Hawthorn. We were getting smashed. Paul Callery got knocked out and nearly died. Somehow we came back and beat the powerhouse.

Round 22 1976. Moorabbin was packed to the rafters. we smashed the Blues and Muir smashed Collins. Still haunts me that year... could of been etc etc.

Fehrings goal

1997 Prelim... see 1991.

Pretty much every game when Plugger played for us... Pretty much every game when GTrain played FF.

DUDE! You're back! :) Man, it feels like ages!

Fehrings goal

1997 Prelim... see 1991.

Ahhh your back.
And here I was thinking you were one of those Fairweather supporters who lost interest cos we didnt win the flag last year:p
Look forward to your views in 2015:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great thread.

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but the night the lights went out v Waverley in 96 was surreal. And then the murmurings for a couple of days before they decided what to do. Cheeky buggers poured into the ground, pulled the posts down and lit flares.

And the Saints v Pies game in 1991 or 92 at a packed G on what I think was Easter Monday from memory. Sheldon grabbed Davenport by the scruff of the neck. Pies by 11 in the final qtr and then we kicked two late ones - the last by Davenport over his shoulder - and we won by a point. The Saints have been a lot more successful since the horror of the 80s, which almost luckily I didn't witness much of. As a country kid it was one of my only live games prior to coming down to Melbourne for study so it holds great memories. Unfortunately no Plugger or Daicos that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back