NAB challenge TV coverage, the haves and have nots once again from the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thought this thread could start off on the main board and maybe more after a while. Sorry if this has been covered.

But the AFL in their wisdom are having fox footy broadcast all but 6 of the nab challenge games this year.

The 6 games not being broadcast:
Bris v Saints
Adel v North
GWS v GC
Port v WC
Dogs v Melb
Syd v Freo

For those of you playing at home that's the 8 interstate sides plus 4 Victorian sides in Melb, Dogs, Saints and North.

Excluded from the list are Coll, Carl, Richmond, Geel, Hawthorn and Essendon (VFL).

But not only in their wisdom have they agreed to this deal with foxtel to exclude fans of smaller drawing clubs from watching their team in preseason on TV but they've also protected foxtels monopoly of preseason footy and banned the clubs from streaming the games directly.

Un2HGLq.png

I'll cop crappy timeslots throughout the regular season and a terrible imbalance of free to air to pay TV games. But for preseason if you're going to show all 3 games for 6 sides then you need to do it for 18 sides. If they can't be made available live through foxtel they have to be streamed or shown delayed at least. I really hope this is a relic of the Demetriou era cash greedy AFL and that Gil fixes this 2nd class treatment of some sides. How much would foxtel seek in compensation if those 6 games were streamed? Whatever the number is it has to be worth it for both fairness and for fan interest and membership sales. GWS, Gold Coast and Sydney should never play without being televised, preseason or otherwise.

Its a joke. If you're not gonna show the game on TV at least play them in their home state (yeah that either means derby's or only melbourne teams dont get shown) so we can go and watch live. Then to ban even a replay? Stupid. Hope a club uploads a full reply minus 1 minute a quarter so technically its not a full reply as a * you to the afl.

If the reason for this is because the venue isn't suitable enough to be shown on tv, then move it to a venue that is television suitable. Not that hard.
Foxtel broadcasted the FFA cup in suburban grounds so its a cop out on fox footys behalf if this the the reason

If Foxtel don't want to broadcast the pre-season games, let the clubs set up a telecast and stream vision on their websites.
That's not the issue. The clubs want to put up live streams, or at least replays after the game, but both are banned. All we are allowed are 16 30 second highlight clips during and after the game. Pathetic.

At least our game is broadcast on 5AA, which is something for supporters.

You can get a free 4 week trial to AFL LivePass which includes all NAB challenge games, on your smartphone or tablet.

https://id.afl.com.au/livepass?camefrom=EMCL_540477_23826122

The AFL just sent me an email today.
That would be all televised NAB challenge games not the above listed 6. You'll just get radio coverage with a nice pretty logo on top.

I think West Coast, Freo or Adelaide in particular as the 3 who can afford it and command some power at AFL house should ask for forgiveness not permission and broadcast feeds.

Stand up for their members.

Just another leg up to the AFL favourites. Have to wonder what it's worth in terms of membership and sponsership to the clubs that aren't televised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the reason for this is because the venue isn't suitable enough to be shown on tv, then move it to a venue that is television suitable. Not that hard.

If a game can be televised from Shepparton showgrounds it can be shown from anywhere.Also one of the games not being shown is from Blacktown.Nine showed a heaps of state one-dayers in October from that ground with no problem [well apart from the commentary]

The thing I find most offensive is the bit about banning streaming. If it's not on TV, that's one thing, but as far as I'm concerned the broadcasting rights should be use it or lose it and if they won't broadcast it on TV then the clubs should at least be able to stream it. Hell our club is live streaming our internal scratch match tomorrow and full replay available. Yet I won't get any of the GC game?

Stupid.

Last edited:
If a game can be televised from Shepparton showgrounds it can be shown from anywhere.Also one of the games not being shown is from Blacktown.Nine showed a heaps of state one-dayers in October from that ground with no problem [well apart from the commentary]

And the NAB cup and challenge games over the last few years - and round 3 2012 v west coast which was an actual in season for points game.

Of course they can broadcast - and even if they can't, the clubs can.

This is an outrage.

And not the fact foxtel aren't showing them.

And not the fact that live streams are banned ( though that is a joke).

But the fact that the clubs aren't allowed to put up a full reay after the fact and instead we are told to settle for 10 30 second clips or whatever is an absolute disgrace and the afl treating fans with contempt.

I can't think of a stupider decision with regards to broAdcasting

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-in-non-tv-games/story-fni5f22o-1227240614197

In an email to clubs, the AFL’s general manager of broadcasting, Simon Lethlean, suggested clubs would be in breach of the broadcasting agreement if they showed matches, and told them the AFL’s website would instead put together 16 30-second highlight clips.
“We have a view as to how the matches need to be presented to fans,’’ an AFL spokesman said.

“Our view is that we worked to ensure that every club would be broadcast at least twice, bearing in mind that with the NAB Challenge, a key thing for us is to play in communities and locations that in many parts would never host (AFL) games.

“That’s part of the charter of taking the NAB Challenge to different parts of Australia, bearing in mind that for some of those venues there can be challenges with the broadcast.

“Last year we had the 18 games in 18 days and didn’t broadcast any of the nine matches on the final weekend. This year we’re broadcasting 21 of the 27 … down the track hopefully we’ll be able to broadcast all of them.’’

That would be all televised NAB challenge games not the above listed 6. You'll just get radio coverage with a nice pretty logo on top.

I think West Coast, Freo or Adelaide in particular as the 3 who can afford it and command some power at AFL house should ask for forgiveness not permission and broadcast feeds.

Stand up for their members.

Well, that makes the AFL advertisement an outright lie then, it said every match live including the NAB Challenge.

Why this year? I've definatley watched online streams of unbroadcast matches previously. The GWS v Lions game in Wagga being one. Also a game involving North somewhere. Townsville maybe?

This whole thing is very sad for the affected clubs. For a league that wants to be externally seen as working towards equalisation, this is a horrendous and obvious setback. Surprise surprise it happens to be predominantly clubs outside of Victoria who suffer. The low drawing teams not only have to work towards increasing crowds, but they also have to work on sponsors etc. How does not broadcasting their matches help the clubs in these matters? It sets them further back, why would sponsors invest substantial money into a club that doesn't get as many broadcasts as others?

The AFL have this the complete wrong way around, they should be promoting the smaller clubs, not leaving them disadvantaged and struggling to find other ways to get themselves out there.

Isn't this a broadcaster making commercial product decisions?
Should be titled the rates and rate nots rather than haves and have nots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back