Game Day Western Bulldogs Vs Richmond R1 NAB Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

It's early in the season, but you can only say what you saw (on Foxtel at my dad's)

Good: Redpath and some guys I haven't really seen much before, such as Talia and Honeychurch. Not a Wallis fan, but he played well. And has Minson's marking improved?

Bad: Tigers seem to counter attack and score too easily. Minson should have dominated the ruck,and didn't. I'm buggered if I could fathom quite a few frees. Expected more from Stringer.

Ugly: Most of our ball movement was as bad as last years. Seemed to get worse as the game went on. Delivery into the forward line/forward system is still poor.

God Awful: Libba's knee

Libba :(

I hope that a lot of our guys stand up now. Need a big year from a lot of players. No second year blues everyone do a Macrae please.

Time to see how ready guys like Caleb Daniel are got to play him in the next game because with Libba possibly down for some time we most likely will need him early in the year if not r1. Hope like hell he adjusts very quickly.

Hope Clay comes back quickly too.

Dannnnnnnnnn is a mod now? Bout time :D good luck mate

I saw 5 minutes of highlights on AFL tv. Was really pleased with how they played and set up opportunities and it was ******* fantastic to see Redpath and Talia on the ground... Having Redpath and Boyd up forward as KPFs will be friggin good if it works out

I can't remember seeing a taller Bulldogs line up. Bonts seems to have grown even more.
I liked Jong in fwd pocket. He had the speed to lose his man... showed clean hands / nice marks and his tackling pressure was excellent. in play kicking not as reliable, however.

I was happy with our bookends. There looks to be some chemistry between Boyd and Redpath, and Hamling impressed with his ability to read the play & take the game on. Talia & Roughead looked confident, which hasn't always been the case of late.

Honeychurch & Dal were excellent defensively, and clever with the ball. Wallis has the brains to be an elite player, I just hope his body can keep up.

I made involuntary noises when Stringer slotted that goal from the impossible angle and strutted off with a finger pointing to the heavens. Brimming with talent & confidence, he is so important to us.

Devastated for Libba, almost to the point of tears, but nothing we can do now. The boys will get around him, he'll provide what he can off the field and we'll just have to count on someone to step up in the meantime.

Congrats also to Dannnnnnnnnn on his new role.

Yes, roving the ball

Thanks, I'm not mad after all....

And Bev says he wants us to be unpredictable, so at one bounce we could have Dalhaus, Hrovat, JJ, Daniel and Hunter, and then the next we could have Bonts, Macrae, Stringer, Crameri and Redpath!

Thoughts on Talia v Hamling based on today's showing? With Morris and Roughead (plus Wood) likely locks it's very unlikely we play both of them. I thought Hamling looked a little more rounded in his game but Talia's positioning both inside and outside aerial contests was outstanding. Didn't really see Hamling defend much one-on-one either.

I'd like to give both of them another chance next week and then re-assess. Based on today though - Talia's slightly in front. Liked what I saw from both.
Hamling did some nice stuff at times and covers more ground

10865945_10153621872703561_1783276749337880237_o.jpg

indeed that is Candy at .55
And on the left next to VitalDread is CunnyFunts my younger brother

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too easy getting the train to WO and back home again in the east. By the way had a great day out west at WO for my first match day experience. Would love to play in future years one home game there. Had the old school can of beer
smile.png
loved see people carrying two cans on top of each other. We were lucky with the weather. Libba injury was the downer.

Watching the highlights now. Good to see Wood give that cocksplash Vickery a clip around the ears, god knows he deserved it.

It really was an excellent day, in most regards. I got my wish and saw Boyd & Honeychurch combine for a goal, Prudden got out there and survived what could be classed as attempted murder from Steve Morris & Koby Stevens, Redpath translated his training form to a very good competitive hit-out, and our structure at both ends of the ground looks more settled. It was good to catch up with a few people, too.

I'm just crushed for Libba, and Rat who was apparently sent to hospital. The game giveth and the game taketh away. I hope to see both boys fit and firing as soon as possible - in the parlance of the marketing department, they couldn't #BeMoreBulldog.

The highlight of the day for me was when a lady asked nathan and i to move out of her way to see the game.
She even got police and security which both of them said, they can sit or stand anywhere they want.
if you want to watch the game, just stand up.

You should've stayed up on top of the hill paying homage to Prudden and avoided the fuss!

It's early in the season, but you can only say what you saw (on Foxtel at my dad's)

Good: Redpath and some guys I haven't really seen much before, such as Talia and Honeychurch. Not a Wallis fan, but he played well. And has Minson's marking improved?

Bad: Tigers seem to counter attack and score too easily. Minson should have dominated the ruck,and didn't. I'm buggered if I could fathom quite a few frees. Expected more from Stringer.

Ugly: Most of our ball movement was as bad as last years. Seemed to get worse as the game went on. Delivery into the forward line/forward system is still poor.

God Awful: Libba's knee

I was pretty impressed with Honeychurch

This one was enjoyable from start to finish, but honestly, you should really have won by 50 or more points, considering the amount of general play domination you had.

That's not a good sign.

I'm not trolling when I say this stuff, and I say it with all due respect. I'm just calling it the way I see it, and the fact is, there are much better teams out there than Richmond. We are a 6th-10th team in the competition at full strength, and today you played us today at about 30% strength, and had major issues putting us away.

Our best young midfielder could potentially be out with a serious injury & you're on our board saying that, that isn't what I would call respectful

the team Richmond played was in the bottom four last season and several of our most experienced players have gone
a new coach has come in, if you honestly expected us to win by 50 or more in reduced quarters
then you are a moron, and I say it with all due respect
;)

Our best young midfielder could potentially be out with a serious injury & you're on our board saying that, that isn't what I would call respectful

the team Richmond played was in the bottom four last season and several of our most experienced players have gone
a new coach has come in, if you honestly expected us to win by 50 or more in reduced quarters
then you are a moron, and I say it with all due respect
;)

I sympathize with the Libba injury, it sucks and it's no good seeing a genuine young gun of the competition go down. But this is your match thread, not a Libba thread. Bringing his injury into the analysis of the game is irrelevant imo, but that doesn't mean I'm being disrespectful towards it.

To address your points, I'm saying you should have won by 50 points or more because of the dominance you had in general play, that you were unable to convert into scoreboard pressure due to a mix of our pressure, and your squads' overall poor skill level. For example:

62-27 inside 50's.
40-29 clearances.
339-251 disposals.

You were far superior in general play, yet with 6 mins to go, we were in-front and still in with a big chance. That has to be concerning to you, surely? Especially considering the context of our omissions as well.

Also, my other point is simply that the opposition you played today is probably the easiest it's going to get this season at AFL level, and if our vastly undermanned squad was able to put enough pressure on your boys to make them struggle, it's going to get exponentially harder when you play teams with their senior players actually in the squad, who will put even more pressure on you guys and probably cause even more skill errors than we did today.

You can think this was a great win if you want to, but I'm just trying to provide some context here. You'd wanna play a hell of alot better than that moving forward if you wanna actually get out of the Bottom 4.

I sympathize with the Libba injury, it sucks and it's no good seeing a genuine young gun of the competition go down. But this is your match thread, not a Libba thread. Bringing his injury into the analysis of the game is irrelevant imo, but that doesn't mean I'm being disrespectful towards it.

To address your points, I'm saying you should have won by 50 points or more because of the dominance you had in general play, that you were unable to convert into scoreboard pressure due to a mix of our pressure, and your squads' overall poor skill level. For example:

62-27 inside 50's.
40-29 clearances.
339-251 disposals.

You were far superior in general play, yet with 6 mins to go, we were in-front and still in with a big chance. That has to be concerning to you, surely? Especially considering the context of our omissions as well.

Also, my other point is simply that the opposition you played today is probably the easiest it's going to get this season at AFL level, and if our vastly undermanned squad was able to put enough pressure on your boys to make them struggle, it's going to get exponentially harder when you play teams with their senior players actually in the squad, who will put even more pressure on you guys and probably cause even more skill errors than we did today.

You can think this was a great win if you want to, but I'm just trying to provide some context here. You'd wanna play a hell of alot better than that moving forward if you wanna actually get out of the Bottom 4.
it doesn't cause me great concern, no
the skill level hasn't been all that flash, but it hasn't been in any of the NAB challenge games
I also wouldn't judge us off the one game & hopefully there is some improvement

I see your points, but most are just happy with the win or numb because of the Libba injury
poor timing to be making criticisms, that is what I was getting at

no-one here was really suggesting it was a great win either, I believe it is just the normal excitement you get when you have a new coach come in (but hey, that is just my opinion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back