MCG lowers food prices

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the caterers dropping their prices or are the AFL subsidizing it? By subsidizing, I mean have have they they dropped the cut they make, or are they making up the difference?

I ask this, because the SANFL, I conservatively estimate has increased it's catering revenue by at least 2.5 times at AO on their last year at AAMI, yet food and beer prices are increasingly outrageous. Unless the AFL subsidizes them, they will not cut their prices.

Still not that cheap and I notice a lot of stuff is not on the list, like burgers and fish and chips from those food store joints. And Vlad always said he couldn't doing anything about this..... ******* prick.

People really will whinge no matter what...

I think Gil is doing a fantastic job and it's OK to say so...

Reduced ticket prices
Abolished blockbuster tariff
Less unpopular fixture times
Allow fans onto the ground and now,
Significantly reduced food prices

This covers most of the things that fans (and particularly families) have been complaining about.

Don't see the need to have entitled whinge about health or what else he could have done just yet.

So how much profit has the caterers been gouging out of the footy fans then if they can afford to drop their prices by that much ??

Are the caterers dropping their prices or are the AFL subsidizing it? By subsidizing, I mean have have they they dropped the cut they make, or are they making up the difference?

I ask this, because the SANFL, I conservatively estimate has increased it's catering revenue by at least 2.5 times at AO on their last year at AAMI, yet food and beer prices are increasingly outrageous. Unless the AFL subsidizes them, they will not cut their prices.

Food prices would be a direct result of the ludicrous rents charged by stadium management. If prices are going down then stadium fees must be as well. The article reads as if all concerned are chipping in (pun intended, sorry about that).

The lowered prices have come about as a result of the MCC extending its deal with current catering partner Epicure - owned by the Spotless group - until 2022

At a guess I would think that means the MCC has reduced the rental fees in exchange for the price guarantees, and together with the AFL have also probably agreed to contribute to any shortfall in profit for the caterers as a result. Let's not forget that reducing prices should also help stimulate sales and also the crowd numbers in general which will also hopefully offset the amounts for all concerned.

AFL subsidised surely, people who charge $5 for water aren't known for sudden bouts of generosity.

And since the clubs are nearly all making losses, the money will come from the TV rights, thus from advertising, thus from companies which we buy stuff off.
Akuna metada, or whatever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still not that cheap and I notice a lot of stuff is not on the list, like burgers and fish and chips from those food store joints. And Vlad always said he couldn't doing anything about this..... ******* prick.

I imagine places like Red Rooster and Crust would have more freedom with their own prices than those standard MCG food joints. MCG would have the power to lower the food prices of their own but it's a lot harder to tell a food company they have limited control over to lower their own prices.

I imagine places like Red Rooster and Crust would have more freedom with their own prices than those standard MCG food joints. MCG would have the power to lower the food prices of their own but it's a lot harder to tell a food company they have limited control over to lower their own prices.
Red Rooster, Crust, and standard Food Stores are all run by Epicure at the MCG and share staff between the outlets.

people who cant go a couple of hours without food can rejoice that they still have to pay $4 for a pie or $4 for dodgy chips.

I don't know what time you eat dinner, but a night game is smack bang in the middle of most people's dinner time. Leave home at 6-6.30pm and get home at 11-11.30pm - and that's if you live in metropolitan Melbourne. I will take my own food to night games when I can but it's not always convenient to do so especially when I'm going to the game straight from another commitment.

Where is this idea the afl are subsidizing food coming from,

Given we are talking about one venues catering contract, obviously the mcc has renegotiated with spotless with the help of the afl

I bash the afl a lot, but they used their power for good here

I'm happy for you guys, but I'm not looking forward to next week's announcement that the AFL is adding a tax on food at Subi to subsidise this.

I read in that article that Spotless will take a 2 million $ hit, :rolleyes:

Spotless across it various arms generated total revenue of $2,623,000,000

That is over 2.5 billion

Would it be too cynical to suggest that there will be a corresponding drop in portion sizes?

As someone who goes to the footy pretty rarely the food prices aren't a major deal - I would much prefer though a better range of food with some higher quality options...
First thing I thought of when I read about it. Reduce price (while reducing the impact on margin) by lowering cost from reducing the scope of the offering.
If the AFL is subsidizing the hit though, then there would be less need for them to do that.

Food prices would be a direct result of the ludicrous rents charged by stadium management. If prices are going down then stadium fees must be as well. The article reads as if all concerned are chipping in (pun intended, sorry about that).

At a guess I would think that means the MCC has reduced the rental fees in exchange for the price guarantees, and together with the AFL have also probably agreed to contribute to any shortfall in profit for the caterers as a result. Let's not forget that reducing prices should also help stimulate sales and also the crowd numbers in general which will also hopefully offset the amounts for all concerned.

I believe the caterers are moving away from a tenant agreement with the MCC, where they pay rent and fees for the right to sell food there , to a partnership agreement, so both the MCC and Epicure share the costs and profit of all catering . My tip is nobody is losing money over this .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back