Unofficial Preview Round 1, Pies V Lions, Sat evening @6:20pm Qld / 7:20pm Vic (Thread closed, see Game Day thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who is not available? Thomas, Keeffe, Greenwood, Caff, Scharenburg. I also assume Reid wont play. Have i missed anyone? Also is Freeman any chance? De Goey may play.

Well with no Thomas you think De Goey or Freeman was next in line or Maybe even Kennedy

Broomhead is a Outside Player which JT is a Inside Mid

Don't think we should limit our expectations of Broomy, more than handy at getting the inside ball, just needs to translate from his VFL form to the seniors.

Hopefully Broomy is ready to explode.

Sick of the drugs thread.
Yeah you can only have so many of them to make a booze thread seem SO appealing. It's not meant to be a drinking night, but at 11pm, a couple of whiskys have wormed their way into my what's left of my day.

Last edited:
Yeah you can only have so many of them to make a booze thread seem SO appealing. It's my no drinking night, but at 11pm, a couple of whiskys have wormed their way into my what's left of my night.
Maybe we should start the booze thread.

Just realised taking off topic.

Bring on the bears

Maybe we should start the booze thread.

Just realised taking off topic.

Bring on the bears
Just heading off to bed after a more exuberant sort of evening than I'd planned. Thinking I'd be alone, but wasn't. This has its good and bads. Changed my earlier post for reasons of word repetition concerns. Quick Draw McGraw's quote contains the offending word repetition. The day has been long and difficult for poor old NThunder or whatever it is he and his car represent in this black and white debacle of a day. I am probably more under the influence at this moment than most of our boys put together. One whisky has so rapidly become 5.

This may not be 'Beware the Ides of March' day, or whatever was the sooth-saying Caeser chose to ignore. But it will be remembered as the day our club sought through player error to emulate the internal explosions caused by Didak, Shaw and others in our recent past. We are talking players who have proved unreliable self-promotees by both act and deed. These two boys have done a huge disservice to themselves, the club and loyal supporters, many of whom already view the year as having the betting odds of a mini-minor trying to pull a coach bus full of players out of a quicksand pool.

No, its not Cloke I absolutely love him, one of my favourite players. Its the forward line structure and delivery to him.

He was great as a CHF when he got up the field and took marks and overworked his opponent back in the forward line but now he's being used as a full forward opponents spoil him down to easy. On top of that we seem to rarely kick it to his advantage and we seem reluctant to kick it to anyone else even when its a two on one.

The nab challenge just reinforced all my fears. If nothing changes by round one Merret will have a day out.

This is my biggest fear about Cloke at the moment. People hang s**t on the players delivering the ball to him, which on some occassions is correct. But Cloke just doesn't run any more. Countless times last week he was caught behind Roughead trying to jump on his head. Its just not his go. He needs to 'get on his bike' as they say. While he is as stagnant as he currently is, he will have to deal with 3 opponents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easier to list who isn't available to play this weekend, for once;

3. Macaffer
12. Scharenberg (may actually play VFL this weekend, which would be just awesome)
14. Young (1-2 weeks away from the VFL)
19. Greenwood
20. Reid
21. Freeman (didn't play VFL last week so you'd think he's no chance)
23. Keeffe
24. Thomas
38. Goodyear (slight setback maybe)
40. Seedsman (needs one more run in the VFL)

Considering the latest 2 additions, it's not bad going into round 1 with only 6-7 players not available, and many of those close to returning through the VFL anyway.

As for my 22, here's a crack at it;

B: Williams,Brown, Sinclair
HB: Goldsack, Frost, Langdon
C: Sidebottom, Crisp, Varcoe
HF: Swan, White, Fasolo
F: Grundy, Cloke, Elliott
Foll: Witts, Pendlebury, Adams
Int: Kennedy, Broomhead, Toovey, Blair

Missed out; De Goey, Gault, Karnezis, Moore, Marsh, Oxley, Ramsay, Maynard, Dwyer

Can't see Karnezis and Fasolo in the same team yet, they simply go missing for large periods, can only afford to have one.

I want 2 rucks, 2 genuine rucks, we won't need them most weeks but vs the Lions we need both Witts and Grundy.

We need Williams, Goldsack and Sinclair down back, their small forwards and resting mids will worry us for sure.

Hopefully we see a committed, unified team that plays as close to 4 qtrs as a team can in round 1.

This is the team I'd like to see.

B: Williams, Brown, Toovey
HB: Langdon, Frost, Sinclair
C: Sidebottom, Adams, Varcoe
HF: Blair, Cloke, Elliott
F: Fasolo, White, Goldsack
R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Kennedy
I: Swan, Freeman, Witts/Gault, Crisp

There is no doubt whatsoever that losing Greenwood is massive for us. Taylor Adams and Ben Kennedy are going to have lift and become the players we need them to be in the first 10 rounds if the Pies have any chance of finishing above the bottom 4.

Something that is missing from this thread is love for Alex Fasolo. The guy is class and has delivered in senior footy. He will be so important to our forward line with his precise delivery and goal sense. I understand all the hype about PK but Fasolo is my bet to ease the load on Cloke and Elliott this season in my opinion.

Missing personnel and how teams look on paper are a reasonable way to predict how things will go, but you can never discount the Rd 1 effect. Just from a Brisbane perspective, we were told that we were long odds against Melbourne in Rd 1 2012, and we ended up on top (unsurprisingly in hindsight).

In Rd 1 2013 we were the NAB winners and were expected to trounce the Bulldogs. The opposite happened.

I'm always nervous around Rd 1, because expectations and predictions based on 'fact' often account for naught.

It'll be a tight one. Especially in what is increasingly likely to be a sodden, heavy, sloppy affair.

Hopefully we see a committed, unified team that plays as close to 4 qtrs as a team can in round 1.

This is the team I'd like to see.

B: Williams, Brown, Toovey
HB: Langdon, Frost, Sinclair
C: Sidebottom, Adams, Varcoe
HF: Blair, Cloke, Elliott
F: Fasolo, White, Goldsack
R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Kennedy
I: Swan, Freeman, Witts/Gault, Crisp

There is no doubt whatsoever that losing Greenwood is massive for us. Taylor Adams and Ben Kennedy are going to have lift and become the players we need them to be in the first 10 rounds if the Pies have any chance of finishing above the bottom 4.

Something that is missing from this thread is love for Alex Fasolo. The guy is class and has delivered in senior footy. He will be so important to our forward line with his precise delivery and goal sense. I understand all the hype about PK but Fasolo is my bet to ease the load on Cloke and Elliott this season in my opinion.

I am with you on Fas, still if PK steps up then Cloke, Elliott, Fas, PK and White could really become multiple avenues to attack

Crazy if we don't play Karnezis, he is a lock for round 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure if a lock and Broomhead and Kennedy will be in the mix but I would like to see what he can do.

It's easier to list who isn't available to play this weekend, for once;

3. Macaffer
12. Scharenberg (may actually play VFL this weekend, which would be just awesome)
14. Young (1-2 weeks away from the VFL)
19. Greenwood
20. Reid
21. Freeman (didn't play VFL last week so you'd think he's no chance)
23. Keeffe
24. Thomas
38. Goodyear (slight setback maybe)
40. Seedsman (needs one more run in the VFL)

Considering the latest 2 additions, it's not bad going into round 1 with only 6-7 players not available, and many of those close to returning through the VFL anyway.

As for my 22, here's a crack at it;

B: Williams,Brown, Sinclair
HB: Goldsack, Frost, Langdon
C: Sidebottom, Crisp, Varcoe
HF: Swan, White, Fasolo
F: Grundy, Cloke, Elliott
Foll: Witts, Pendlebury, Adams
Int: Kennedy, Broomhead, Toovey, Blair

Missed out; De Goey, Gault, Karnezis, Moore, Marsh, Oxley, Ramsay, Maynard, Dwyer

Can't see Karnezis and Fasolo in the same team yet, they simply go missing for large periods, can only afford to have one.

I want 2 rucks, 2 genuine rucks, we won't need them most weeks but vs the Lions we need both Witts and Grundy.

We need Williams, Goldsack and Sinclair down back, their small forwards and resting mids will worry us for sure.
Slight setback??? What happened to Goodyear, haven't read anything about him being injured???

Just heading off to bed after a more exuberant sort of evening than I'd planned. Thinking I'd be alone, but wasn't. This has its good and bads. Changed my earlier post for reasons of word repetition concerns. Quick Draw McGraw's quote contains the offending word repetition. The day has been long and difficult for poor old NThunder or whatever it is he and his car represent in this black and white debacle of a day. I am probably more under the influence at this moment than most of our boys put together. One whisky has so rapidly become 5.

This may not be 'Beware the Ides of March' day, or whatever was the sooth-saying Caeser chose to ignore. But it will be remembered as the day our club sought through player error to emulate the internal explosions caused by Didak, Shaw and others in our recent past. We are talking players who have proved unreliable self-promotees by both act and deed. These two boys have done a huge disservice to themselves, the club and loyal supporters, many of whom already view the year as having the betting odds of a mini-minor trying to pull a coach bus full of players out of a quicksand pool.

I bet you have a sore head this morning...

I'm at piece with my car. I'm lucky enough to be in a position to a) fix it and pay the costs for a replacement engine or b) buy a new car. Pretty arrogant I guess, but we are good savers. Just means kiddies miss out on a holiday this year.

Ups and downs - I'm looking at a new Jeep or Subaru so good outcome and Collingwood should be looking at potentially what today brings for them. We have 2 new list spots, IMO JT and Keefe were not part of a future premiership team - controversial maybe but just my opinion.

Todays downfall just brings us closer to premiership glory - even if it does make this year all the more difficult.

As for Brisbane this week - will be much emotion coming out Saturday regardless of the result - but it is the start to what is going to be a very challenging season for us. Let's not vent to hard too early as we have 23 rounds to spread this over.

Slight setback??? What happened to Goodyear, haven't read anything about him being injured???
Just a hunch as he doesn't seem to have been involved too much in either the VFL or NAB challenge games.

Hopefully it's nothing major and he plays on Saturday against Casey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back