Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep him again. If you don't want to discuss it then don't.

My question is... how long can this guy really have left in the game? Aside from his draft number it's kind of amazing he's still there now.

Anyway, he's now 24yo and has played 100 games. He should be ready to start hitting his peak... but has he even eradicated the basic knocks on his game that have been there for six years now?

I've seen a couple of Dees games this year and he doesn't look to have improved much (though granted he was apparently good in round 1). He still has zero physicality to his game, zero intensity and doesn't display much effort.

I read something a while back about him possibly playing through the midfield but he doesn't seem to be.

I think he's out of contract next year - will that be curtains if he doesn't improve dramatically? Will they look to trade this year if any takers? Roos will want to build the strongest possible list and I don't know how long you hand a spot to a guy who has had endless chances and just doesn't have what it takes.

Dees fans - keen to persist or cut your losses?

Anyone else - would you give him a shot at a low low price?

His problems are between the ears.

Someone will like him at a reclamation project, but it shouldn't be Melbourne.

I think he's getting better in that he plays some good games these days, but when he's off he still stinks.

His concentration level is alarming, does his mind wander during games? Maybe he worries that he's left the gas on or starts thinking about what he's going to have for dinner. Why else does he stuff up the basics so often? And did he do this before he was drafted?

Far too soft to be a key player in a languishing side. Obviously never had contact during school footy and you cannot teach a bloke to like/want it. You either do or you shy away from it. Jack is the latter.

Would be best for all concerned to be traded to a challenging side (e.g. Hawks/Frem/Port) where his decficiencies aren't so pronounced.

I have a feeling he'll end up a premiership player under these types of circumstances. Matt Spangher style - not a star or key - just a piece of the puzzle for a team lacking it.

"The most maligned player in the comp" - Kevin Barlett, 21/4/15.

Have heard this from KB, Duck, Schwarz and others in the past two days. And they're right. Is any other player scrutinised as much as Jack Watts? We've had a #1 pick have a pretty s**t game at St Kilda on Friday night. What was the story come Monday? Jack Watts.
We've got a #1 pick at GWS who's only played 1 good game since signing a $6million deal which was last weekend. The story? Jack Watts.
We've got a #1 pick who's moved to the Bulldogs on a $7million, 7-year deal, and hasn't done much in the last three weeks. Story? Jack Watts.

The guy dropped a mark in the wet. Sam Frost dropped a worse one in the same spot.

Let the guy play. He has some s**t moments, but the attention given to them as compared to his general play is just astounding. He is one of the best kicks in the comp - a combination of both his accuracy and his vision. He has a great sense for the play - have a look at his tap down to Garlett for the goal v GC in Rd1. More to the point, he is truly giving a contest on most plays - he wins a bunch of plays and is certainly best 22 quality.

Yet everyone focusses on the things that look 'soft'. Here's a clue. Every player does something soft. Dangerfield was diving for the umpires Saturday, that isn't the story. Nope. It's Jack Watts dropping a mark.

He's good enough to stay on a list and get a game for most teams but he's just not what you want from a no1 pick.

Just plays with no intensity at all, which makes you think if he did he could be really good but he just doesn't.

Doesn't put his head over the ball and doesn't go in hard enough. Soft is a cliche but damn this kid is soft.

I know these things are overrated and you won't see Pav backing into a pack for example, but you still have to go for the ball when it comes your way.

Watts had such athletic ability when he was young he never learnt to do the fundamentals right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His intensity so far in 2015 has been miles better than anything he has served up in previous years, and seems to be using his frame to his advantage. Have noticed he has crashed a few packs so far this year, and burst through a few tackles as well. These little things might not mean much, but to me it is positive signs. I don't think he is ever going to reach the lofty heights that many had for him, but I think he has a future as a potential big bodied midfielder/winger or half forward.

The kid has talent, it's his mental aspect that lets him down, and from what I've seen so far from him in 2015, it looks like it might just have clicked a little better for him compared to previous years.

Far too soft to be a key player in a languishing side. Obviously never had contact during school footy and you cannot teach a bloke to like/want it. You either do or you shy away from it. Jack is the latter.

Its just amazing the recruiters didn't identify this. I know there is a bunch of recruiters now going "oh i never liked Watts, we wouldn't have drafted him" bollocks. He was number 1 because he was the highest rated kid in the land.

Would be best for all concerned to be traded to a challenging side (e.g. Hawks/Frem/Port) where his decficiencies aren't so pronounced.

He'd sink or swim at Freo in a year. Would be good for him.

I have a feeling he'll end up a premiership player under these types of circumstances. Matt Spangher style - not a star or key - just a piece of the puzzle for a team lacking it.

maybe. He still has the athletic ability for a big man you just don't see every day.

I like Jack Watts. But there is almost no reason for that other than he is kind of an underdog now. In terms of being the whipping boy at every turn.

If he went at number 2 no one would care (except Dees supporters)!

I think he'd fit into most bottom 8 sides, certainly not delist worthy.

I thought he actually played alright in the first couple of games before last week. Clearly he had some awful moments in that game but he's still a key position player with great athletic ability and is definitely worth the Dees holding onto.
Its way past the time we keep bringing up the fact he was a number 1 pick. He's never going to be a star but I'm confident he will still carve out a solid career for himself.

If he was John Doe who went pick #63 wouldn't get a fraction of the negative commentary he gets on here. In fact I reckon if Dees were to put him up for trade that many clubs would be interested and would at least be willing to part with a late second rounder/early third rounder.

If he was pick 35 nobody would care and many would say they see something there to work on.

True.

But he isn't. Like it or not, he will be continuously discussed and I suppose other questionable number 1 picks like Tom Scully (who was only taken in the draft one year after Watts) have somehow remained more shielded from scrutiny.

He is also an enduring Bay meme, so there's that.

Wrong. If he was a pick 35 he would probably be delisted by now.

Nah, there are lots of good signs in him (his kicking, his vision etc) and at Melbourne they'd be giving chances to anyone that looked like they can deliver. None of their recent delistees or players traded away have succeeded at another club - for good reason.

Nah, there are lots of good signs in him (his kicking, his vision etc) and at Melbourne they'd be giving chances to anyone that looked like they can deliver. None of their recent delistees or players traded away have succeeded at another club - for good reason.

Ricky Petterd, Stef Martin have been serviceable to their new clubs.

Ricky Petterd, Stef Martin have been serviceable to their new clubs.

Forgot about Stefan Martin. Apologies.

But I'd argue Petterd hasn't consistently exceeded what he delivered at Melbourne - sorry, I don't really rate him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back