2014/15 Melbourne Victory Thread - Home of the Champions!! #10yearsproud

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-League grand final will be played at AAMI Park should Melbourne Victory qualify

THE A-League grand final will be played at AAMI Park on Sunday, May 17 should Melbourne Victory qualify.

The Herald Sun can reveal Football Federation Australia will back down on its threat to take the game interstate if the AFL signs off on a deal guaranteeing it grand final access to Etihad Stadium for the next 10 years, which it is expected to do in the coming days.

The decision to play at the 30,050-capacity AAMI Park would cost FFA as much as $1 million in ticket sales.

Victory has all but secured top spot on the ladder with one round left, meaning a win in its semi-final would secure it a home grand final for the fourth time in 10 years.

But after the AFL blocked the use of Etihad Stadium and the MCG on May 16 and 17, FFA threatened to deny Victory grand final hosting rights as it had deemed AAMI Park too small.

FFA leant on the Victorian Government to push the AFL in to moving the May 17 Western Bulldogs-Fremantle clash from Docklands to Geelong’s Simonds Stadium.

The AFL - which says it has already made allowances for soccer this season, with the MCG left available for July’s International Champions Cup - is understood to have been willing to move the game, but only if it was financially compensated.

MATT WINDLEY:AAMI Park compromise is the right call

But FFA and the government were unwilling to foot the bill — nor will the Government compensate FFA for revenue lost by keeping any Victory title decider in Melbourne.

Victory officials are privately confident almost all of its season ticket holders - about 22,000 - would get a seat at an AAMI Park grand final.

In the event it qualifies, the club would also look at establishing a live site in the Melbourne Olympic Park precinct for fans who cannot secure a ticket.

The Victory team — win or lose — would then likely be presented there that night.

In the case of an AAMI Park grand final Victory members would only get access to one ticket per membership, while ticket prices are likely to be more expensive than they would have been for an Etihad Stadium or MCG grand final.

The MCG is still booked for Friday, May 15, but the only way the grand final would be played on this date is if fifth-placed Melbourne City also advanced to the final.

Melbourne City would host an AAMI Park grand final only in the unlikely event it faced sixth-placed Brisbane Roar in the decider.

ANZ Stadium is the likely venue for a Sydney FC-hosted grand final, although Allianz Stadium has also been booked.

Likewise Adelaide Oval is set to play host to an Adelaide United home grand final, although Coopers Stadium is also available.

Westpac Stadium will be the venue for a Wellington Phoenix-hosted final.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/f...-victory-qualify/story-fnp0lxax-1227310960050

Finally looks like were about to get a resolution (sick of all the code war crap that's been going on especially on the main board)

This is the right outcome.

Though I still think the FFA main bulk if it's a Victory V Sydney Grand Final to have it moved to ANZ to satisfy their own intentions.

Depends on what privileges you have.

As members we get offered tickets. But prior to that, as members of the football family -whatever the hell that is - we get offered tickets too.

Not a member anymore sadly so I probably won't get it unless I'm online the first minutes of general public sales

Not a member anymore sadly so I probably won't get it unless I'm online the first minutes of general public sales

You will need to be on the ball that's for sure. Particularly if there are only enough tickets available to fill AAMI and not Docklands.

Its reasonable result if it is indeed AAMI, it'd be an absolute disgrace if Victory were forced to play in NSW. However its worth considering that its not quite definite yet, its contingent on this.

The Herald Sun can reveal Football Federation Australia will back down on its threat to take the game interstate if the AFL signs off on a deal guaranteeing it grand final access to Etihad Stadium for the next 10 years, which it is expected to do in the coming days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get through I'm going to pull some favours and get into the corporate area and make a complete baboon out of myself
There's no better way to do it :)

Its reasonable result if it is indeed AAMI, it'd be an absolute disgrace if Victory were forced to play in NSW. However its worth considering that its not quite definite yet, its contingent on this.

Quite a bit of posturing from both parties there. Whatever happens I want home finals when we have earned the right to them.

Sounds like FBK is about to re-sign

Great news if true - his re-signing would be better than any signing we could make in the off-season.

Of the players who are out of contract, I'd like Delpierre to be offered another year and of course Archie will be allowed to stick around for as long as he likes.

Makarounas and Nabbout should be gone and possibly Georgievski who has been a bit disappointing IMO. Coe I suspect will be re-signed even though I am not a huge fan and Thomas might not want to stick around as backup again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back