Hot Topic It's Official - Bye Mick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Mick was undermined by the media, but that's not to say he was undermined by the board.

As you say Mick cracked under the pressure, which led him to break from a united front with the board and resulted in the board making the only decision it could.

The scenario presented by our CEO and President was that they had sat down with Mick and all had agreed on bringing forward the coaching review... the very next morning Mick starts taking pot shots at them from several interviews in the media.

He had to be sacked at that point. I'm one of those who wanted to see him at least coach out the season and I'm very disappointed he decided to self destruct. Mind you I'm looking forward to seeing a tangible change in our approach on game day now.
The Media have been like a pack of hyenas hanging around waiting to draw blood how dare they!!!!
This is absolutely appalling what has happened to Mick and see watch Steven Trigg sit there what is his claim to fame apart from stuffing up big time over Kurt Tippett and for him to bring down Mick is nothing more than disgraceful
The players loved Mick and can anyone name any players who Mick has coached and there are many who would say anything bad about Mick --not one
same couldnt be said about Trigg and his offsider -- just appalling dont know when you are on a good thing!!

I can't believe he gets a full payout.

If someone hires me on a contract and I go in and take a s**t on the boss' desk (which is essentially what Mick's interview was) and they sack me for it, do I still get a full pay out?

This tells me that maybe he had a bit more dirt to throw...

Hope you get it sorted soon guys... Footy is better when the Big 4 are all competing well and fans are flowing to the Rivalries...

TBF the AO deal is going to cost both SA clubs a huge amount of money.

PA had AO packed all season and they still lost money.

You do realise Trigg negotiated that AO deal, so apart from him not wanting to leave Football Park and building a white elelphant at West Lakes he stuffed up the AO deal.

Forget about us crows fans distain for Trigg if you like, the thing that should be ringing alarm bells for you guys is how ALL Port supporters are upset Trigg still isn't at the crows.

I can't believe he gets a full payout.

If someone hires me on a contract and I go in and take a s**t on the boss' desk (which is essentially what Mick's interview was) and they sack me for it, do I still get a full pay out?
Welcome to CFC. Liam Jones says Hi

I notice a lot of opposition posters wanting to put in their 2 cents, talking about our s**t list and having a go at the club under the guise of reasoned discussion.

The club might be in disarray but that doesn't mean the moderators here are. Put those sentiments in our banter thread or on another board. You're not one of us and your sentiments don't come from the same wounded place.
I, for one, am interested, given my disappointment/disgust with how Mick ended with us. Obviously there's a touch of relief too, that (maybe) we made the right call; we'll see how the next 2 or 3 years plays out under Buckley.

On another note, how you handle criticism, rejection or failure says a lot about a man. Contrary to Mick's scorched Earth policy with us and then you, hasn't Ratten been a true gentleman. No pot shots at the club or Mick. He's just got on with his life at another club a made a success out of disappointment. Guy McKenna I reckon has also handled his sacking well. Terry Wallace - not too bad, but even now frames some comments around list management / recruitment with the implication that he had nothing to do with Richmond's lack of success during his tenure there.

I hope for Mick's sake, he makes peace with Collingwood, and follows the line he started with his gracious comments following being sacked by your mob.

Last edited:
I

I hope for Mick's sake, he makes peace with Collingwood, and follows the line he started with his gracious comments following the current sacking.

He's been making nice with Eddie for a month now.

Eddie knows he can't have a former Premiership coach floating around Melb and not be involved in Collingwood celebrations. And Mick needs to be loved,no, adored.

I am looking forward to Mick joining the media and being a special commentator again.

"Make no mistake, Carlton are a very good football side."
Bet that will start on friday night with SEN or Seven.

From all CFC supporters ... Sorry MM.

Not a chance. The club has huge issues which I hope will be sorted. Mick was not doing the job he was paid to do. He wasted a couple of years before deciding he needed to start again with a rebuild and his playing list is dispirited and directionless.

He did absolutely zero of the things that Ratten was sacked for not being able to do.

I warmed to him over the journey but there is no need to have our side playing like a soulless, confused rabble in order to rebuild it.

Mick was not doing the job he was paid to do.
Who in the club is?

If players can't be arsed playing, how about the club decides it can't be arsed paying them. Years of training, hundreds of thousands of dollars and ... meh... would rather be a fashion label owner.

Who in the club is?

If players can't be arsed playing, how about the club decides it can't be arsed paying them. Years of training, hundreds of thousands of dollars and ... meh... would rather be a fashion label owner.

Agreed but that doesn't exonerate Mick. In fact, how many times have we called for an example to be made of senior players like Gibbs or Murphy and nothing been done? Always the same players in and out of the side with Chris Yarran the only one made an example of. We had a half arsed leadership group setting the example. Mick simply had to send a message to make these guys put in.

I am firmly in the camp of our players being fragile coach killers. However, I also have expectations of coaches brought in to address that very problem that plagued Ratten. He allowed it to get worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a chance. The club has huge issues which I hope will be sorted. Mick was not doing the job he was paid to do. He wasted a couple of years before deciding he needed to start again with a rebuild and his playing list is dispirited and directionless.

He did absolutely zero of the things that Ratten was sacked for not being able to do.

I warmed to him over the journey but there is no need to have our side playing like a soulless, confused rabble in order to rebuild it.

I see your point ODN ... the one thing I just cannot shake is that as a motivator, someone whose track record is bringing a team together and fighting for one another, for someone with 30 years experience that no one doubts .... why didn't it work at CFC?

I was a huge MM supporter, I think in the end there was never going to be any other way but I just want to know why he failed.

I suspect to a large degree, again, it's the players which frankly concerns me deeply.

We seem to have built a culture of giving the power to the players and fawning over them regardless of their output.

I just cannot believe as captain Murphy's laid his first tackle mid way through the third quarter!

We are just rotten through the core at the moment and senior players care more about their man buns and pink boots than they do giving a performance like Simmo last Friday.

The sad thing is these players are embarrassing themselves and the club and they really don't care as long as the pay cheque keeps coming.

Pride has just completely left the building!

1. How can a coach starting his third year of a contract demanded a contract extension? When he get no clear indication of an extension, cracked the sheet and threw grenade at the club that paying him...

I for one don't feel sorry for MM, legend or not, that was selfish and dirty spoil rotten act. The club has right to not renew contract, the club has right to review contract at end of the year and the club has right to demand him to be at work for duration of the contract.

I felt sorry for Ratten, Duigan, Laidler, Betts, Garlett, Watson etc who had their dreams destroyed and the current list thats been screwed around for last two years but hopefully can rediscover the joy and love of footy game...

Apologies for the intrusion, I think there's a few Carlton supporters that are too emotional about this, so I'll just make some points.

Mick campaigned very hard in the media for the job, he stabbed Ratten, (a sitting coach and Carlton great) in the front and got the coaches gig by telling Sticks and the board that Carlton had a top two list and should be contenders.
Sure the board got it wrong, they should have kept and worked better with Ratts, devolved recruiting and development out of his hands, and provided better/more assistant coaches.
A football club is a complex creature and it's success is as dependant on everyone from the boot studder to the water girls to the cleaners as it is on the coach and players. Everyone at the club has a role to play and you need good people at all levels. Even thinking that the answer is a head coach that will just make things better is fraught with disaster
For my money Malthouse has been a moderate coach, but has achieved success at clubs that are very well run, Collingwood; and have had phenomenal talent base, West Coast. The mistake Carlton has made and Mick has made is that they have both believed that the success at both Carlton and West Coast was due to Mick.
Stop blaming the list, the players are better than you think.
Mick has steadily lost the players over three years, they don't believe him, they don't believe in him, there was and is no return from that point Mick had to go.
Mick isn't the CFC he's a coach for hire and his record at Carlton sucks, he put himself above the board, the fans, the players and everyone connected to the club; he had a duty to all these people and got paid very well for it, but he failed at every level. His behaviour from the book tour, to recruiting Daisy to running pressers has been a disgraceful display of self serving hypocrisy.
He's gone and good riddance to bad rubbish.

Never mind the list, the coach. the board the president....... the next question is about Trigg and his fitness to be C.E.O.

Agreed but that doesn't exonerate Mick. In fact, how many times have we called for an example to be made of senior players like Gibbs or Murphy and nothing been done? Always the same players in and out of the side with Chris Yarran the only one made an example of. We had a half arsed leadership group setting the example. Mick simply had to send a message to make these guys put in.

I am firmly in the camp of our players being fragile coach killers. However, I also have expectations of coaches brought in to address that very problem that plagued Ratten. He allowed it to get worse.

To be fair, Mick did start the process of getting rid of problematic coach killers in Mclean, Waite, Robinson etc.

Eddie Betts never really showed the consistent form he has at Adelaide at our club either.

I said it many times, but failure of our current and previous recruiting staff to adequately pick up enough quality players in the national draft over the last 5-6 years is why we're back on the basement of the ladder.

The consensus I am hearing from most media pundits is that we have the worst list in the AFL. That kind of condemnation takes many years to build, Mick can't be blamed for being in the job 2 and a bit years.

Apologies for the intrusion, I think there's a few Carlton supporters that are too emotional about this, so I'll just make some points.

Mick campaigned very hard in the media for the job, he stabbed Ratten, (a sitting coach and Carlton great) in the front and got the coaches gig by telling Sticks and the board that Carlton had a top two list and should be contenders.
Sure the board got it wrong, they should have kept and worked better with Ratts, devolved recruiting and development out of his hands, and provided better/more assistant coaches.
A football club is a complex creature and it's success is as dependant on everyone from the boot studder to the water girls to the cleaners as it is on the coach and players. Everyone at the club has a role to play and you need good people at all levels. Even thinking that the answer is a head coach that will just make things better is fraught with disaster
For my money Malthouse has been a moderate coach, but has achieved success at clubs that are very well run, Collingwood; and have had phenomenal talent base, West Coast. The mistake Carlton has made and Mick has made is that they have both believed that the success at both Carlton and West Coast was due to Mick.
Stop blaming the list, the players are better than you think.
Mick has steadily lost the players over three years, they don't believe him, they don't believe in him, there was and is no return from that point Mick had to go.
Mick isn't the CFC he's a coach for hire and his record at Carlton sucks, he put himself above the board, the fans, the players and everyone connected to the club; he had a duty to all these people and got paid very well for it, but he failed at every level. His behaviour from the book tour, to recruiting Daisy to running pressers has been a disgraceful display of self serving hypocrisy.
He's gone and good riddance to bad rubbish.

Never mind the list, the coach. the board the president....... the next question is about Trigg and his fitness to be C.E.O.

Bog off, Mr 1 premiership in 120 years ..
Your only mad at Mick for rightfully calling out Stephen Milne for his disgusting off-field crime.

To be fair, Mick did start the process of getting rid of problematic coach killers in Mclean, Waite, Robinson etc.

how was McLean a coach killer? he wasn't a world beater but his work rate and effort was the epitome of consistency.

It remains to be seen - correction, we will never know - if we just chose poorly at the national draft, or developed our talent poorly. Most likely a combination of both.

McLean went after 2 years under Mick and the decision laid squarely on McKay and Rogers who strung him along until they knew what they were doing in the draft. Mick tried to get Waite to say and was angry that he didn't. Robinson is not the type of coach killer that dwells at Carlton. It's the ones that don't put in 100%. Robinson can't be accused of a lack of effort.

Eddie Betts never really showed the consistent form he has at Adelaide at our club either.

Betts was just as consistent at Carlton as he is at Adelaide aside from his last year. We just don't have the quality across the park to make his job easier. Way harder to do it at Carlton.

I said it many times, but failure of our current and previous recruiting staff to adequately pick up enough quality players in the national draft over the last 5-6 years is why we're back on the basement of the ladder.

So even if Gibbs, Murphy, Menzel, Walker, Henderson, Jamison, Yarran, Tuohy, Thomas, Buckley and co were playing close to their best, we'd be in the basement?

It's fine to blame recruitment. It's a fact. Ratten had the same problems with recruiting and being handed a largely s**t list. He got close to the best out of what he was given though, and was still sacked because they had brain fade games.

Why not address the lack of form and application of senior players and the confusion that is our game plan? Why is that consistently left out of these arguments?

If we are looking to defend someone, let's defend all the perceptions and not be selective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back