Harley Bennell pictured cutting lines of speed - Courier Mail

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we keep him. This is from 2013 when he was much younger and immature.
He was 20 then. He was 21 on the golf trip. He's 22 now when drinking after a game. Still young. Still immature.

Hate to say it and don't mean it as a put down but the AFL control your club. Bennell will be moved on for PR reasons if nothing else. You'll be getting a dud deal if he turns it around but that's too bad.

I said that Bennell wasn't as bad as Garlett and certainly didn't have as many question marks pre-draft, but this just one of numerous "scandals" that Bennell has now been involved in: suspended by the club for breaking the drinking code, pictured with hardcore drugs, threatening to fight an AFL journo at a public event, receiving a $3000 fine for being involved in a melee, having a "rockstar" persona which drew the ire of his coaches (to the point where they were contemplating putting him on the table), plus living with a now confirmed drug dealer. And this is just what's been made public.

His value has been severely diminished and when he leaves at the end of the year, I think GC will be happy to accept unders.

did you read my posts?

my argument wasnt that bennell was in the clear it was that his issues more than likely were NOT present prior to being drafted, which is the opposite to dayle garlett who had numerous issues in his draft year

the photos weren't taken at a private residents/place, presumedly on the phone of the person who sold them, do they have a leg to stand on in that regard?
surely they would've tried otherwise?

boston? hes a ripper, and well behaved at that.
Boston is probably more to do with on-field stuff than anything else, although now that he's getting games he might stay (or go to Brisbane, if they want him).

did you read my posts?

my argument wasnt that bennell was in the clear it was that his issues more than likely were NOT present prior to being drafted, which is the opposite to dayle garlett who had numerous issues in his draft year
And I wasn't comparing pre-draft Bennell to pre-draft Garlett... more making the comparison that just because someone is extremely talented doesn't mean that every club is going to take the risk hoping they can "fix them".

Bennell will find a new club if he leaves, but will anyone pay the price to GC he probably deserves on a talent/performance basis? I doubt it.

His value will be severely diminished simply because if he was to stuff up again and a club had given up a good pick for him someone would be sacked.

It's totally unfair for both him and the Suns.

I actually don't understand how it's legal to publish a picture like that. Total invasion of privacy and for no other reason than selling papers. They don't care that they have stained this guys reputation for ever, just because some idiots have decided that drugs should be prohibited.

The whole thing makes me want to spew. The Suns better hang onto him because they won't get value back for him.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

His value will be severely diminished simply because if he was to stuff up again and a club had given up a good pick for him someone would be sacked.

It's totally unfair for both him and the Suns.

I actually don't understand how it's legal to publish a picture like that. Total invasion of privacy and for no other reason than selling papers. They don't care that they have stained this guys reputation for ever, just because some idiots have decided that drugs should be prohibited.

The whole thing makes me want to spew. The Suns better hang onto him because they won't get value back for him.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bennell has no trade value because if the GC don't move him on than players like O'Meara and Swallow will move on.

He was 20 then. He was 21 on the golf trip. He's 22 now when drinking after a game. Still young. Still immature.

Hate to say it and don't mean it as a put down but the AFL control your club. Bennell will be moved on for PR reasons if nothing else. You'll be getting a dud deal if he turns it around but that's too bad.
Sadly i think you are right but he won't be the only one to leave because of this and i doubt many players would want to play for Gold Coast right now.

Boston is probably more to do with on-field stuff than anything else, although now that he's getting games he might stay (or go to Brisbane, if they want him).

And I wasn't comparing pre-draft Bennell to pre-draft Garlett... more making the comparison that just because someone is extremely talented doesn't mean that every club is going to take the risk hoping they can "fix them".

Bennell will find a new club if he leaves, but will anyone pay the price to GC he probably deserves on a talent/performance basis? I doubt it.

i agree and i wouldnt want him at my club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its a bad look for the game, maybe he gets suspended for bringing the game into disrepute, maybe the suns look after his livelihood and say, go home, spend some time with your family, away from the club, and the limelight, get your confidence back, get back on track, and well see you soon, that would be the responsible thing to do. look after HIS well being, instead of worrying about the game, or the club...

i don't think people realise how big of a job this "gc17" was, they've relocated 20+ 18 year olds, to a party town, all at once, with "leaders" like brown and hunt, and non influences like gaz and harbs. they had a responsibility to nurture these kids, and they haven't, the afl and GCFC are to blame for this.

i hope it doesn't ruin the kids lives, fcuk the football club and the game, what about these kids, they've been lead down the garden path...

I don't think the point is registering.

It happened in early-2013. Hence, suspending him now because some hero took a photo of it is, yep, ****ing idiotic. And, of course, incredibly reactionary. Would Hawthorn or Fremantle suspend a player around the same age as Bennell if the same thing happened to him (a photo of him racking up lines from the better part of two and a half years ago emerged)? I seriously doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if Gold Coast does now though, because everyone is lining up to pot the Suns' 'drug culture' at the moment. They'd be getting swayed by what outside sources are saying about them and they'd 'get tough' and 'take a stand' accordingly. Which is never a good reason to do something.

Nor do I get the 'party town' references to the Gold Coast. Like players couldn't possibly find any mischief to get themselves in to if they were based in Melbourne, or Sydney, or Perth.

no one. this instance involves one players allegedly taking illicit drugs. pales in comparison to a club injecting 34 players with unknown substances

You treat the situations individually - GC has issues which they need to resolve - Its none of our business.

I said that Bennell wasn't as bad as Garlett and certainly didn't have as many question marks pre-draft, but this just one of numerous "scandals" that Bennell has now been involved in: suspended by the club for breaking the drinking code, pictured with hardcore drugs, threatening to fight an AFL journo at a public event, receiving a $3000 fine for being involved in a melee, having a "rockstar" persona which drew the ire of his coaches (to the point where they were contemplating putting him on the table), plus living with a now confirmed drug dealer. And this is just what's been made public.

His value has been severely diminished and when he leaves at the end of the year, I think GC will be happy to accept unders.

Some pretty mediocre 'scandals' you've been reduced to there, Jobe.

Non-events, the lot of them.

We don't know that. If it was true then I'd agree with you. What would Smith + Bennell + Matera be worth?

Bennell has limited trade value - He will be shipped out so the GC can keep players - Bennell is no certainty to find another club.

the photos weren't taken at a private residents/place, presumedly on the phone of the person who sold them, do they have a leg to stand on in that regard?
surely they would've tried otherwise?

Won't bore you with legal jargon at this ungodly hour. In short, it amounts to a publication of confidential information. This is why the plug was pulled on the (insert Channel 7 injunction team here) story.

Think the Hun are going to print with it because the extra sales (courtesy of Robbo's plug) would exceed the amount of damages Harley would get in lieu of an injunction.

But seriously, wtf Gillon and Witheriff?

I dont get what's the big deal , doesn't every club have a group of players who do drugs?

0018FA5400000258-3011045-image-a-112_1427294229505.jpg

Needs to do this if he kicks a goal on Saturday, even if they are 10 goals down. Line in the sand moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back