Harley Bennell pictured cutting lines of speed - Courier Mail

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Bennell can't be at the Suns in 2016.
He was gone before this anyway... this photo has just made the decision unequivocal. And a few of his teammates will also leave.

We were interested in Bennell as of a few weeks ago... I would hae said that this changes things, but upon further consideration, he'll fit right in at Essendon!

A reminder to people, don't take pics or videos of you mate racking up lines for you. Not cool.

Not really sure why you would TBH. You generally take photos to share (even if that is just within your own social circle on Facebook, Instagram, etc.), and there's no real positive to come from sharing photos of people doing drugs, especially if one of the people has a public profile. Both strange and extremely dumb all round.

After AFL threatened sanctions towards the club in 2007 we have had a massive club culture change, sanctions which included premiership points being taken away and the possibility of 2006 being stripped. We changed quick smart, which was evident in our piss poor period between 2008 - 2010. We'd be one of the cleanest clubs now.

AFL players using drugs in a country with one of the highest rates of recreational use in the world. Shocking:eek:
If anyone under the age of 30 is surprised, they've been living under a rock.
If you think the staff of the Herald Sun wouldn't stab their own mothers to get a photo of a victorian player doing lines on their front page you're an idiot.
That's why I find it odd that the issue gets less attention in Victoria than it does elsewhere. More players + more visibility= silence?
Nah. No one wants to rock the boat. Interstate clubs like WC and GC are easier targets.

Hard times for the Suns. I don't actually care if players take recreational drugs out of competition at all. So many players and members of the media would be snorting s**t up their nose every other Saturday night.

Yeah, I'm beginning to feel a bit sorry for Bennell.

The pic was from 2013 when he would have been 19 or 20. Now there's a picture of him doing drugs all over the news.

Whatever happens from here who knows, but I do hope the Suns can offer him plenty of support. Would be terrible if they sack him, he goes back to WA and his life spirals out of control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UDL's are pissweak Harley

1.He's a decent guy, Let's not pretend this isnt something quite a few AFL players do, However what poor timing

2.Who took that picture? would be pretty filthy at them if i was Harley
Who took the picture- what were they paid for the picture?- and have they gone and bought drugs with the $

Brutal. That will follow him around for the rest of his life. Gillon needs to have a sit down meeting with the tabloid rags. Only positive is it's a huge wake up call for all the other players in the AFL.

I reckon there will be plenty of players at ALL other clubs pretty nervous and uncomfortable about what photos there are of them on mates phones when this explodes tomorrow.

Richmond took Cousins at 31, after a year out of the game and stint in rehab.

17 clubs will be looking at Bennell pretty closely.
Cousins was a brownlow medalist and superstar as well

I think Bennell could end up falling into Garlett territory more than Cousins..

Brutal. That will follow him around for the rest of his life. Gillon needs to have a sit down meeting with the tabloid rags. Only positive is it's a huge wake up call for all the other players in the AFL.
I'd be seriously limiting their access to interviews and the like. I know that it's all the same Murdoch crew but still. I'd be having some pretty high-level phone calls if I were ol' Gil. Buddy doesn't give them the time of day after the back-page job the HUN did on him a couple of years ago (the best part was they had the balls to call him up the following day asking to do a photo shoot).

After AFL threatened sanctions towards the club in 2007 we have had a massive club culture change, sanctions which included premiership points being taken away and the possibility of 2006 being stripped. We changed quick smart, which was evident in our piss poor period between 2008 - 2010. We'd be one of the cleanest clubs now.
So you are admitting 2005 - 2007 your performance was drug assisted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back