Ashes 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Marsh has to play in front of Watson based on form in the warm up matches. Watson would need to take a Michelle in the second innings to be any chance.

Clarke said this after play yesterday about Watson & Marsh. "Who knows, the selectors might find a way to get both in the team, but it's going to be tough, that's for sure."
I wonder if Clarke's implying that he'd like both of them to play.

Clarke said this after play yesterday about Watson & Marsh. "Who knows, the selectors might find a way to get both in the team, but it's going to be tough, that's for sure."
* no. Please no

Not sure how Watson over Marsh can be justified unless he really bowls beautifully tonight. And bowls a good number of overs.

Dissapointed in Faulkner. He was nearly three times over the limit, and the limit there is 0.08, he's blown about 0.22 by my reckoning which makes him pretty drunk. Sounds like he might end up missing the ODI tour altogether. Oh well, if it somehow means he plays more FC cricket then maybe that's a good thing. Still dissapointing, and just one of those 'oh it's a bad look but really it should be no one's business' things like Harley Bennell. Driving while that drunk is genuinely putting yourself and others in significant danger.

He's a young dude. His Instagram looks like every other young dudes. Sheesh.

Imagine if Doug Walters and Rod Marsh had Instagrams back in the day!

I certainly was not attacking him, just pointing out that he's not worried at all about his perception unlike most other young professional athletes who these days market themselves to a stage managed extent.

Absolutely moronic what he just did though and being forced to sit out the ODI series would be a just punishment.

Watson really hasn't had much opportunity or need to bowl too many over recently, but looking back at last summer he was bowling about 12 overs per innings which is more than enough for an allrounder. Just can't bat as seen last night
If he can bowl 12 overs at 2-3 rpo then that's good enough for mine for the bowling part of a batting all rounder.

I'd argue that Marsh can do that as well, even though his figures in this match don't suggest that.

If the trend continues that Watson or whoever is filling the all rounder roll isn't required to bowl the 10-15 overs an innings, surely the question of the need for an all rounder at all will be asked.

The more I think about it, the more I warm to picking the best in form reserve batsmen for number 6 regardless of whether they can bowl or not.

Not sure how Watson over Marsh can be justified unless he really bowls beautifully tonight. And bowls a good number of overs.

Dissapointed in Faulkner. He was nearly three times over the limit, and the limit there is 0.08, he's blown about 0.22 by my reckoning which makes him pretty drunk. Sounds like he might end up missing the ODI tour altogether. Oh well, if it somehow means he plays more FC cricket then maybe that's a good thing. Still dissapointing, and just one of those 'oh it's a bad look but really it should be no one's business' things like Harley Bennell. Driving while that drunk is genuinely putting yourself and others in significant danger.
The article on cricket.com.au says he blew 0.10 and the limit is 0.035, not that drunk, but yeah still obviously shouldn't drive like that.

I think Clarke wants Marsh but isn't in a position to say it in public

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That possibility, has been thought of, and scares me. I guess we would then have Watson at 3 and Marsh at 6.

Clarke definitely prefers Marsh. Threw the ball to him before Watson to start with and again yesterday despite Watson's tighter figures. He's also mentioned previously that Marsh could be a potential captain. Along with the 'tough to fit both in' comment, it's pretty easy to read between the lines that he wants Marsh in and Watson out. That's not even mentioning his past issues with Watson.

That possibility, has been thought of, and scares me. I guess we would then have Watson at 3 and Marsh at 6.
No way Watson bats at 3 in England again.

I would go:

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
MMarsh
Haddin+
Johnson
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

* Watson, great thing about our bench is that nearly everyone is in form. sMarsh has made runs, and Harris should be ok for the second test if someone doesn't bowl well, or gets injured. Haddin is not far off being dropped, and if he's under performing and the series is tight after 2/3 tests, drop him.

I would go:

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
MMarsh
Haddin+
Johnson
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

**** Watson, great thing about our bench is that nearly everyone is in form. sMarsh has made runs, and Harris should be ok for the second test if someone doesn't bowl well, or gets injured. Haddin is not far off being dropped, and if he's under performing and the series is tight after 2/3 tests, drop him.
I think Clarke may have been alluding to replacing Voges with Watson at 5, which would actually make sense if Watson was in good form (questionable at best). Would provide bowling depth which is a concern with Lyon getting belted in the tour game.

I would go:

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
MMarsh
Haddin+
Johnson
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

**** Watson, great thing about our bench is that nearly everyone is in form. sMarsh has made runs, and Harris should be ok for the second test if someone doesn't bowl well, or gets injured. Haddin is not far off being dropped, and if he's under performing and the series is tight after 2/3 tests, drop him.
What I'd like to see

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
S. Marsh
M. Marsh
Nevill+
Johnson
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

What we will see

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Watson
Haddin+
Johnson
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

The thought did cross my mind that might be on the cards when I was listening yesterday. Dear oh dear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back