Play Nice Bye bye Brad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget for a moment the cost of paying out contracts - the club needs to think hard about the ramifications of NOT making a change. I suspect most of us on here will renew our membership next year regardless of the team's on-field prospects, but the same will not be true of a great many current members. More than ever, people need a compelling reason to spend their money on discretionary items like footy memberships, and this current disillusionment - unchecked - could result in a substantial decline.

Consider the maths:

Cost of paying out the coach? Only a guess, but surely somewhat less than a million dollars. Once.

Cost of losing 3,000 members? In excess of 3 million dollars. Each year.

Brad has 1 year of senior coaching left and by mid next year will be toast. If he is allowed to be selfish he can put this club back years in those 22 games.

Reckon the supporters would be happy if North stopped clinging to finals and just started exiting the Firrito types this season. Give him a farewell game as Boomer's 400th.

Would rather make the finals this year or finish bottom 6 with McDonald, Mullett types than continue as we are.

Maybe. I'll grant your argument for what occurred between 4.30 and 7.30 tonight. But I think most people here are talking bigger picture. Here's what I'm talking about - culture.

Brad Scott has done a lot right for NMFC. But what should nail him to the cross is his failure to develop a successful, winning culture to the playing group. Organisations at all levels succeed and fail on the culture that is inherent to it. And the prime objective of the leaders within an organisation is to generate a successful culture. In a football sense you can gather all the best recruits, facilities, football staff and spend whatever you like in the football department but if the culture isn't right then success will only be fleeting at best.

From where I sit on my comfy leather couch at home or from Aisle 34 at Etihad or wherever, I see a poor culture at NMFC. I see talented players who are too comfortable with their lot as footballers, who get lazy, who aren't pushed for improvement, who are rudderless under pressure, who don't adhere to well communicated instructions, who aren't accountable for poor performance, who have unjustified loyalty placed upon them and who revert to self preservation when the heat is on. Same as any organisation with a poor culture - comfortable, lazy, self-satisfied, lacking assertiveness, unaccountable, individualistic and selfish. That's why we can beat a Top 4 sides but for two years running we've gone up to Queensland and got rolled by the bottom side. It's why we can win finals but show up for Round 1 the next year totally unprepared. I'm hardly on the inner sanctum at NMFC - far from it. But having been in middle-management leadership capacities in my professional life and in sporting organisations, I think I can tell a poor culture when I see it.

Darren Crocker was hardly going to walk into four weeks as the acting-coach and change the culture of this club. Hell, as an assistant coach at NMFC since before Brad Scott even got there, he's actually accountable for it being the way it is. But as the person who has been employed since August 2009 to lead the transformation of NMFC into a successful, winning sporting organisation, it is Brad Scott who must shoulder the blame for the failure in this respect. Whether it was him or Darren Crocker or whoever who gets credited as 'coach' for tonight's shameful performance, the ultimate responsibility for the fact that we can go up there against the bottom team and play like that, and that we've done it before, lies at the senior coach's feet. Unfortunately for Brad, for all his good qualities as a man and as a coach, that's him.

So what gets done about it? Sadly a poor culture is like a cancer. You just can't 'fix it'. All the symptoms that I mentioned earlier just don't go away. For too many involved that's all they've ever known or what they've become accustomed to. The leader might decide to change his/her ways but the longer they've allowed it to take root then the harder it is for them to dig it out. Instead, the 'cancerous' elements need to be eliminated to put it bluntly. In the context of NMFC that would be players, football staff, board members and those who allowed a poor culture to fester. I hate to say it because I truly believe he is a good man who has put his soul into NMFC, but that means that Brad Scott can't continue beyond this year as senior coach. Unfortunately a good culture makes hard and honest decisions...I wonder if those whose responsibility it is to make such decisions are part of the poor culture at NMFC?

Anyway. That's what I reckon for what it's worth. Of course changing a culture takes a long time. So does rebuilding a football list. So I think that we're further away from where we want to be than we've been since Laidley was coach. Grim times.
You should send this post as a letter to the board.

Maybe. I'll grant your argument for what occurred between 4.30 and 7.30 tonight. But I think most people here are talking bigger picture. Here's what I'm talking about - culture.

Brad Scott has done a lot right for NMFC. But what should nail him to the cross is his failure to develop a successful, winning culture to the playing group. Organisations at all levels succeed and fail on the culture that is inherent to it. And the prime objective of the leaders within an organisation is to generate a successful culture. In a football sense you can gather all the best recruits, facilities, football staff and spend whatever you like in the football department but if the culture isn't right then success will only be fleeting at best.

From where I sit on my comfy leather couch at home or from Aisle 34 at Etihad or wherever, I see a poor culture at NMFC. I see talented players who are too comfortable with their lot as footballers, who get lazy, who aren't pushed for improvement, who are rudderless under pressure, who don't adhere to well communicated instructions, who aren't accountable for poor performance, who have unjustified loyalty placed upon them and who revert to self preservation when the heat is on. Same as any organisation with a poor culture - comfortable, lazy, self-satisfied, lacking assertiveness, unaccountable, individualistic and selfish. That's why we can beat a Top 4 sides but for two years running we've gone up to Queensland and got rolled by the bottom side. It's why we can win finals but show up for Round 1 the next year totally unprepared. I'm hardly on the inner sanctum at NMFC - far from it. But having been in middle-management leadership capacities in my professional life and in sporting organisations, I think I can tell a poor culture when I see it.

Darren Crocker was hardly going to walk into four weeks as the acting-coach and change the culture of this club. Hell, as an assistant coach at NMFC since before Brad Scott even got there, he's actually accountable for it being the way it is. But as the person who has been employed since August 2009 to lead the transformation of NMFC into a successful, winning sporting organisation, it is Brad Scott who must shoulder the blame for the failure in this respect. Whether it was him or Darren Crocker or whoever who gets credited as 'coach' for tonight's shameful performance, the ultimate responsibility for the fact that we can go up there against the bottom team and play like that, and that we've done it before, lies at the senior coach's feet. Unfortunately for Brad, for all his good qualities as a man and as a coach, that's him.

So what gets done about it? Sadly a poor culture is like a cancer. You just can't 'fix it'. All the symptoms that I mentioned earlier just don't go away. For too many involved that's all they've ever known or what they've become accustomed to. The leader might decide to change his/her ways but the longer they've allowed it to take root then the harder it is for them to dig it out. Instead, the 'cancerous' elements need to be eliminated to put it bluntly. In the context of NMFC that would be players, football staff, board members and those who allowed a poor culture to fester. I hate to say it because I truly believe he is a good man who has put his soul into NMFC, but that means that Brad Scott can't continue beyond this year as senior coach. Unfortunately a good culture makes hard and honest decisions...I wonder if those whose responsibility it is to make such decisions are part of the poor culture at NMFC?

Anyway. That's what I reckon for what it's worth. Of course changing a culture takes a long time. So does rebuilding a football list. So I think that we're further away from where we want to be than we've been since Laidley was coach. Grim times.

Somehow this post needs to be heard. Couldn't have said it any better

Get rid of this toxic culture he has cemented into the club

I am from Adelaide and the supporters are calling for Kens head because he doesn't drop players and is starting to turn "soft"

Why isn't Brad getting this heat? He's NEVER dropped some players in his entire career and he's NEVER set the right standard for our players. He had a HUGE influence on this game as he was back around the club, that's enough for the players to go back into their lazy shells

Sack him. There i said it.

Its clear that it is irrelevant who is in charge, this group is done in its current incarnation.

Geoff Walsh has a job of work in front of him.

To be honest thread should be renamed 'Bye Bye Board and Football Department'

They are all responsible, just not Brad.

Leadership group tolerates the whole group not putting in, which is tollerated by the coach, who is tollerated by the board.

We are a ship without a sail just aimlessly following wherever the wind takes us.

Its clear that it is irrelevant who is in charge, this group is done in its current incarnation.

I really need to believe that the under performers, regardless of their reputations or positions will be gone in 2016.

To be honest thread should be renamed 'Bye Bye Board and Football Department'

They are all responsible, just not Brad.

Leadership group tolerates the whole group not putting in, which is tollerated by the coach, who is tollerated by the board.

We are a ship without a sail just aimlessly following wherever the wind takes us.
The leadership group is nearly half the side.

Too much room to hide.

Sad to say I'm finally jumping on this bandwagon. The buck stops with Brad. Recruiting Waite has been the final nail in the coffin. Gibson getting games when he applies no defensive pressure and is as slow as a turtle. Tarrant still here after 8 years is an indictment on how low this football club has sunk under Brad.
BYE BYE BRAD.
Tough decisions to be made at end of this year. Need to delist or trade out a minimum of 8 players.
Grima, Firrito, Gibson, Tarrant, McMahon, McKenzie and Adams would be a good start.
Wells unfortunately due to injury.
Waite just pay out his contract and thanks for nothing.

Need to invest in the draft again. Forget free agency until we are seriously ready to challenge again.

I can not see how he can last this season. This was the full stop to 6 years of planning. A good man, but his culture and ethos have festered, and delivered a soft, unmotivated, unaspiring football club. The proof is simple.

This club needs to get back to being a passionate, success driven organisation. A start would be to appoint a figure who will stand up, wear his heart on his sleeve, and breed life into this list. Our emotionless employees need to start feeling the difference agony and exctasy (no not that one Ryan), and do everything they can to feel the greatness of success.

I really need to believe that the under performers, regardless of their reputations or positions will be gone in 2016.
To be honest i am not confident given that significant change will require significant payouts. The reality is that we cannot afford to cut as much as we should given the impact this will have on our ability to keep up with the joneses.

We are in a precarious position but decisions need to be made.

Brad won't be sacked, JB won't remove "his man", just the same as under performing players aren't dropped. It just won't happen, nor do I see Scott falling on his sword, he is a narcissist and thinks only of his own goals. He wanted to stamp "his" identity his way on the nmfc and has done so with resounding effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest i am not confident given that significant change will require significant payouts. The reality is that we cannot afford to cut as much as we should given the impact this will have on our ability to keep up with the joneses.

Realistically a major issue is our lists age. Its time like this where it pays to be young, as guys like mckenzie and daw will have more of a chance to be retained than a firrito or mcmahon. Its more than just cull guys who arent up to it yet. We need to become young.

POTY

We are back to being 'little' in the AFL. Without resources and the right people that is where we will stay.

It's all the new facilities. I try get there once a year and amble around there awestruck. They are incredible, and every club should have something like those. But i'm thinking just knock them down; bring back the sheds and 30 year-old gym equipment. Forget cafés and Huddles (can't kick a La Marzocco end-to-end, and kids love nothing more than running around an oval, which can be bui......wait a minute, we have one of those already, don't we?),and get players that want to dish it out for the club (and don't drop chest marks).
Ok, now that I think about it, those measures may be extreme...but i'm pretty sure it's time to say hasta-la-never to Braddo, or atleast remove him from strategising off-the-field stuff and make him game-day coach so we can save some cashola and stop signing up runners and retirees to put on the field.

Brad won't be sacked, JB won't remove "his man", just the same as under performing players aren't dropped. It just won't happen, nor do I see Scott falling on his sword, he is a narcissist and thinks only of his own goals. He wanted to stamp "his" identity his way on the nmfc and has done so with resounding effect.

All well and good but if/when we're getting hammered at Docklands with 13k watching..

Irregardless of skills/lack of, or ability/lack of, there is NO excuse for lack of effort and intensity, for 4 Q's would be ideal, but even a slight glimpse wouldn't go astray, i would sooner have Goldy and 21 Kayne Turners atm.
If the coach has lost the players, and that's the way it appears, just like Schimma, it's time to go, trouble is who will be the new Denis Pagan ?

How can you say its clear it doesn't matter who's in charge..what a crock. It's clear to me that some of the coaching staff are the problem and some players also.

But if you think Clarkson or Longmire wouldn't make a difference to these inconsistent performances, you dont know football at all.

You should send this post as a letter to the board.

Thanks! I wrote it in the small hours with a few bourbon and cokes under my belt, but I'll admit it reads pretty well and I stand by every word of it. Hopefully this stuff is self evident to those that matter so I don't know if I'll forward it on. BesidesI suspect some people from the club come here from time to time.

As tragic as it is, it's interesting to read the interview Mark Robinson did with Phil Walsh that was republished this week. Walsh spoke of wanting to change the culture when he first arrived at the Crows. Not personnel or game plan. Culture. His predecessor also wrote a couple of months ago on his demise outlining in dot points where he went wrong. Almost every point related to the culture he brought to the club. Not his game plan or recruiting. Sanderson made a Preliminary Final in his first year. He can coach. But after two so-so years the die had been cast, the Crows saw the signs and he was gone. It was seen as a tough call but now seen as a right one. Time for NMFC to make a tough call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back