Preview Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rutten I think wanted to focus on just working through his first season as an assistant coach. Bassett - who knows the way his mind thinks sometimes ;)
Bassett probably wants to run the coaching course rather than take it ;)

Bassett and Rutten were both invited to be a part of that intake but declined at the time is what I understood.
Any idea if Level 4 cert has been, or is in line to be, introduced as a prereq for senior coaching before next season, Nikki?

I don't think it's a matter of appointing the best dude in these circumstances.

Walsh was going to be our coach for 5+ years. It was clear he wasn't coaching for now, he was building a team/culture/gameplan/attitudes for a flag. This would have been ingrained into every player at the start of the year.

We must appoint someone that aligns with these values as close as possible. We can't afford to move away from his ethos and game style, the players will be confused and lose focus on how to approach their football in 2016 and beyond IMO.

Someone like Worsfold, who is now officially in the club, knows Walsh's philosophies back to front, been in charge of a premiership team, seems like the ideal candidate to me. Someone who can oversea the plan already in place, keep it on course and provide the leadership the players lead in this situation. We've convinced in to come in this role, hopefully he can take one step further for 2016.

I am not nearly as knowledgeable as many of you when it comes to other assistant coaches with other teams. I follow Adelaide closely and I will watch other games when I get the chance, however, the distance makes it difficult to be privy to the kind of information you guys are on a daily basis.

That said, I don't think the club should limit itself to seeking out a senior coach who is a clone of Walsh. It seems to me we have very good pieces in place for the near future (excepting of course--for the moment, anyhow--Danger). Those core pieces can be built around and not necessarily just in the image that Walsh foresaw.

I would like to see us improve our team speed and certainly our skills hitting targets and moving the ball up the field with better precision.

I think it would be a bad idea to just say "we need to find a guy who thinks/acts/manages like Walsh and/or who mentored/trained with/under him". There are many quality guys who would and will make fantastic senior coaches. There are different philosophies which can also be successful at the highest level.

The critical question is does the team have core talent that can get us where we want to go? Even if Danger departs the answer still remains yes.

The club can and should be patient and get the best available senior coach they can acquire. This is an attractive job for a whole host of reasons aside from the talent---so get the best guy and let him mold the team as he sees fit. Any smart successful coach is able to use the pieces he inherits along with the ones he acquires to fashion a winner. We shouldn't straightjacket him into a set philosophy nor should we close off candidates because they may not necessarily embody Phil Walsh.

I think even Phil would agree with that.

That's true, but he'd already won a premiership as a coach before that happened.
I'm not saying he can't coach, I think he is a great coach, he just needs help with game plan/strategy, the game is constantly evolving. I am looking forward to watching this week and how we deal with the weagle web, I wonder if Phil had a counter for it and had talked to the other coaches about it?

I'm not saying he can't coach, I think he is a great coach, he just needs help with game plan/strategy, the game is constantly evolving. I am looking forward to watching this week and how we deal with the weagle web, I wonder if Phil had a counter for it and had talked to the other coaches about it?

Every Senior Coach needs help that's why its so important that you have a strong coaching panel of Assistants

Just look at Port Hinkley looks to be struggling without Walsh and Richardson

I wonder if Phil had a counter for it and had talked to the other coaches about it?

He was routinely looking at future opposition 2-3 weeks prior to those matches. He commented after the Brisbane game (or was it the presser the day before) that he liked some of the things the Eagles were doing, so it sounded like he'd been looking at them already. The key is how much of that would have been discussed with the other assistants.

IMO if Campo leads us to the finals he will be ahead of other current assistant at other clubs

If Campo gets the Jo done and displays the qualities that the club is looking for in a senior coach then I just cant see the club replacing Campo with an untried Assistant Coach

In this case the only way Campo might be trumped is if we were able to secure Woosha or a proven Clarkson or Ross Lyon type

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rutten I think wanted to focus on just working through his first season as an assistant coach. Bassett - who knows the way his mind thinks sometimes ;)

Nathan has always been a strange cat

One thing is for certain and that is the club will not deviate from Walsh's blueprint for.success

With this in mind the search for our next senior coach will be a first, we will be looking for a coach who can take Walsh's plan forward and not a coach who will bring in a new blueprint.

This puts Campo in the box seat and I just can't see someone like Bassett wanting to apply for the role under those terms

Any idea if Level 4 cert has been, or is in line to be, introduced as a prereq for senior coaching before next season, Nikki?

Pretty sure the requirement is coming in either next year or the year after to stop an issue like the Hird appointment happening again. Clarkson was the real driver for the change and the set certification being required for a senior role.

I wish Roo was on board and had the same vision as he did last year.. I wish he had approached Walshy at the end of the 2011 season. I Just wish we had walshy for longer. such a tragedy the footy world only really got to know the guy as a senior coach for 12 games.

I wish Roo was on board and had the same vision as he did last year.. I wish he had approached Walshy at the end of the 2011 season. I Just wish we had walshy for longer. such a tragedy the footy world only really got to know the guy as a senior coach for 12 games.

yeah it's bullshit

The 12 games he coached and the foundations he put in place will have just as much significant bearing as coaches who had longer tenure IMO.

The 12 games he coached and the foundations he put in place will have just as much significant bearing as coaches who had longer tenure IMO.
After all these years we finally found a coach that was a tactical master and actually had a footy brain! he was an intimidating figure and the players looked up to him and respected him. Lets hope what he brought to the club the past 9 months stays with the club, TEAM FIRST!

Didn't originally the crows were looking at a Dew/Walsh combination??? I heard we wanted Dew coach and Walsh overseeing. Then Walsh said I'm the coach. Wonder if that means we will look at Dew again.

I like the idea of Bassett, all Norwood people rave about what he did there (1 i know in particular). Seems to have similar philosophy to Walsh. Team First, Defense.

Take your pick folks.

Adelaide

Brisbane Lions

Carlton

Collingwood

Essendon

Fremantle

Geelong

Gold Coast

GWS

Hawthorn

Melbourne

North Melbourne

Port Adelaide

Richmond

St Kilda

Sydney Swans

West Coast Eagles

Western Bulldogs

Its amazing how many former players who you didn't know were coaches. Familiar SANFL names like Eastaugh, Borlace and Bello too.

Names that stick out for mine are Simon Lloyd, Brett Montgomery, Don Pyke, Stuey Dew, Josh Francou, Nathan Bassett and Brendan McCartney.

Its important for mine that whoever we do get doesn't suffer too much of the inevitable comparisons whilst at the same time carrying on a similar style and vision.

I'm not sure why everyone is looking for Woosha to be the coach next year? I don't think that will be AFC's aim at all.

Surely Worsfold is coming in to add an experienced person to the ranks that can not only empathise with the playing group in regards to Walshy - but has broad experience in dealing with the entire list's welfare and communication. He will be the father figure role that Phil was to the players.

I think Campo is in the box seat, but we do need an experienced person helping him out IMO. We saw what happened to Sando when that was taken away - I don't think we should under estimate the importance of that to the playing group. I'm not sure if Woosha wants that role going forward?

If Campo doesn't work out (not sure how we will be able to judge him negatively) then another up and comer would work just as well - Bassett or Harvey come to mind ... but that senior mentor role would be crucial.

As I said earlier I wouldn't be ruling out Ratten - he may be the mix we need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back