Preview Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting that the players wanted campo for the intern coach, great to see woosha on board for the rest of the season.

Why is campo not mentioned to hold that position for next season? If the players back him would the supporters?

interesting that the players wanted campo for the intern coach, great to see woosha on board for the rest of the season.

Why is campo not mentioned to hold that position for next season? If the players back him would the supporters?
I think he is a reasonable chance if we can find a separate mentor type figure.

I have mentioned that IMO Campo is the front runner

The club has gone on record saying that they want to stay true to Phil Walsh's plan this alone indicates to me if Campo can sail the ship along this path then he will be the likely successor

With this in mind those people who are nominated people like Bassett and Dew I just can't see that either of these two would be prepared to adopt Phil's plan, they both would more likely want to come in and do it there way.

IMO over the last day the club has shown there hand, if Campo can deliver in the next 3 months the gig will be his to see the vision that has already been set by Walsh and the footy dept

If not Worsfold and if there's not a Phil Mk II out there then I want someone who is equally a footy tragic with huge passion for the fight who will bond with the players

Ok so Phil Mk II then

But when I saw Mark Williams the other day you could just see how he bonded with Phil, just that total passion for winning a premiership, a certain madness to which all other things come second

I want passion from the coach. The intensity that I wanted before we got Phil and which he certainly provided. What Clarko's got. Not sure Campo will give us this over time

Geez I hope there's someone else like this out there

I would. I want whatever is best for the club, and if the players are happy, that's good enough for me.

I would be very surprised if Phil did not have private discussions with the senior officials at the club regarding who he wanted in the coaches box next year. He said very early in the piece he would mentor somebody. Whether that was going to be someone already with the club is unknown. I'm sure he would of named his choices to those that matter. Even though he is no longer with us, I think his choices will have a bearing on who we chase.

The club has gone on record saying that they want to stay true to Phil Walsh's plan this alone indicates to me if Campo can sail the ship along this path then he will be the likely successor

With this in mind those people who are nominated people like Bassett and Dew I just can't see that either of these two would be prepared to adopt Phil's plan, they both would more likely want to come in and do it there way.

IMO over the last day the club has shown there hand, if Campo can deliver in the next 3 months the gig will be his to see the vision that has already been set by Walsh and the footy dept

We can't go forward trying to emulate Walsh's plan though, that's a recipe for disaster going beyond this year. Whoever comes in full time will have to put their own spin on it, they have to be their own man, their own coach. Sure they should endeavour to run to similar philosophies, but that's as far as it goes. We need a coach who wants to coach in his own right, not just try to coach like Walsh and try do what he would have done.

Agree, well said

For me the biggest reservation with Campo would be the ability to make the transition from assistant to senior coach. We've seen blokes likes Sanderson fail to do exactly that.

As an assistant you get to have a very different relationship with the players to what a senior coach does. At the end of the day, all of the tough decisions come back to the senior coach. Sanderson tried to be both mates with the players and bloke to make the tough calls. He ended up doing both poorly.

I reckon its possible to do by changing clubs and coming in as a senior coach but I reckon it would take some exceptional people skill to do it at one club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me the biggest reservation with Campo would be the ability to make the transition from assistant to senior coach. We've seen blokes likes Sanderson fail to do exactly that.

As an assistant you get to have a very different relationship with the players to what a senior coach does. At the end of the day, all of the tough decisions come back to the senior coach. Sanderson tried to be both mates with the players and bloke to make the tough calls. He ended up doing both poorly.

I reckon its possible to do by changing clubs and coming in as a senior coach but I reckon it would take some exceptional people skill to do it at one club.

Walsh showed you can do both with the parameters clearly set. Sando wouldn't know how to communicate the parameters to players.

Shows you the difference in communication between both men.

It makes me miss Walshy even more if that's possible.

Worsfold presser: I am in a strong support role in Scott's workload and a sounding board. AFC are on a strong pathway and I'm here to maintain it for Phil. I will challenge the players to maintain it. It wasn't a shock to be called up. Andrew rang me and I thought I could assist. I can commit this season and then plan to leave. I will be based in Adelaide full time. The club have good processes. Not a sense of duty but a sense of support. I only spoke to him on Tuesday about how the team was tracking. But this is big-picture - Phil was a strong leader with experience and Adelaide doesn't have that right now. It's not on my radar to stay beyond 2015. The club talk the language and are very focused. Phil put things in place - it's about keeping everything aligned.
Woosha is rising in my estimations of him. I greatly appreciate his attitude and what he is offering the club. I don't think he will be here next year but I am sure what he brings to the club in the interim will be invaluable.

With regards to who our next coach should be, I haven't voted as I don't know enough about the nominees. I will say that those new coaches who have worked under Clarkson seem to be doing particularly well at the moment and we probably would not go wrong picking someone with a similar background.

We can't go forward trying to emulate Walsh's plan though, that's a recipe for disaster going beyond this year. Whoever comes in full time will have to put their own spin on it, they have to be their own man, their own coach. Sure they should endeavour to run to similar philosophies, but that's as far as it goes. We need a coach who wants to coach in his own right, not just try to coach like Walsh and try do what he would have done.

we will not deviate from Phil's vision is a pretty strong and definite statement

additionally

the question is if Campo does steer us to the finals from here and is committed to the Walsh way do you believe that the club will bring in an untried Assistant to replace Campo

my answer to that question is No

IMO it would take a proven coach like Clarko, Woosha or Lyon to replace Campo, not an untried Assistant

we will not deviate from Phil's vision is a pretty strong and definite statement
Along similar lines, I can see us target someone who has been close to Phil in previous roles to bring into the coaching group. Maybe convince Glass to upgrade his role, maybe Nicks or someone from the West Coast group that was around when he was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back