Preview Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the biggest reservation with Campo would be the ability to make the transition from assistant to senior coach. We've seen blokes likes Sanderson fail to do exactly that.

As an assistant you get to have a very different relationship with the players to what a senior coach does. At the end of the day, all of the tough decisions come back to the senior coach. Sanderson tried to be both mates with the players and bloke to make the tough calls. He ended up doing both poorly.

I reckon its possible to do by changing clubs and coming in as a senior coach but I reckon it would take some exceptional people skill to do it at one club.

this reservation would sureley apply to all current Assistant coaches with the aspiration to be a senior coach

IMO the next 3-4 months is a real audition period for Campo

Along similar lines, I can see us target someone who has been close to Phil in previous roles to bring into the coaching group. Maybe convince Glass to upgrade his role, maybe Nicks or someone from the West Coast group that was around when he was there.

I agree

my read of the club is that they believe that Walsh has already passed on his IP / Blueprint which the club is confident will give hem every opportunity for success

the next head coach will be someone that strongly aligns with that Blueprint and who can take it forward

Of course but within the same club is an added complexity.

I don't think so, we can name plenty Assistants who moved clubs to take up the Senior role and failed, Neeld and the recently sacked WB coach (who's name escapes me) comes quickly to mind

we will not deviate from Phil's vision is a pretty strong and definite statement

Phil's vision and Phil's game plan are two different things.

His vision was of the most streamlined professional elite football organisation in the country, that was primarily about development and promotion of players, coaches and administration from within. Phil's game plan and innovations were a part of that, but not exclusive to it.

The vision can continue. It's about selecting the right coach to lead it.

His vision was of the most streamlined professional elite football organisation in the country, that was primarily about development and promotion of players, coaches and administration from within. Phil's game plan and innovations were a part of that, but not exclusive to it.

Yeah, the game plan is dynamic and that's what makes you tactical (subtle changes each week). I hope he rubbed off on those guys, sounds like he has. There is a risk now though that the coach we appoint can't step up to the Walsh plate. Introspectively players know what he has taught them. Hopefully the coaches and players don't clash over any of the game plan or vision.

We will be okay. This will galvanise the group.

#WeFlyAsOne - This mantra becomes so fitting and significant.

Yeah, the game plan is dynamic and that's what makes you tactical (subtle changes each week). I hope he rubbed off on those guys, sounds like he has. There is a risk now though that the coach we appoint can't step up to the Walsh plate. Introspectively players know what he has taught them. Hopefully the coaches and players don't clash over any of the game plan or vision.

We will be okay. This will galvanise the group.

#WeFlyAsOne - This mantra becomes so fitting and significant.
There's a database for the last 9 months. Every meeting was filmed and can be called up on a players tablet at any time. I'm sure they will be reference appropriately.

Every Senior Coach needs help that's why its so important that you have a strong coaching panel of Assistants

Just look at Port Hinkley looks to be struggling without Walsh and Richardson
That was the point I was trying to make, Worsfold is a great coach but he needs a strategy coach to devise a game plan. Worsfold keeps on saying he doesn't want to head coach anymore so I guess it is all irrelevant anyway.

l

I don't entirely disagree a game plan needs to keep evolving

All I am saying is that there has been some real strong messaging from the club that indicates a desire to keep going down Phil's path which is both vision and game plan fundamentals

With that said if Campo can 1. take us to the finals, and by doing so 2. Build on the " elite standards / team first" mantra I think this would be enough to win him the job over any current untried Asst Coach.

But what I will say is that I just listen to.Woosha's presser and I don't think that he completely shut the door on coaching

That was the point I was trying to make, Worsfold is a great coach but he needs a strategy coach to devise a game plan. Worsfold keeps on saying he doesn't want to head coach anymore so I guess it is all irrelevant anyway.

Listen to his presser he did not completely shut the door

On many occasions he said " not at this point in time"

He left the door slightly ajar in my opinion

l

All I am saying is that there has been some real strong messaging from the club that indicates a desire to keep going down Phil's path which is both vision and game plan fundamentals

With that said if Campo can 1. take us to the finals, and by doing so 2. Build on the " elite standards / team first" mantra I think this would be enough to win him the job over any current untried Asst Coach.

But what I will say is that I just listen to.Woosha's presser and I don't think that he completely shut the door on coaching

Agreed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't heard the presser yet. Let's hope once he is back into a footy club environment he gets the urge to stay on, even if it's only as a coaching director to keep Phils vision and standards on track.

I'll go out on a limb here

I think Campo will surprise a few
I really hope so.

He doesn't have the Walsh 'gravitas'…not many do. Maybe I'm greedy but I want that figurehead at the helm.

What I'm hoping he has is a tactical brain, though is this confined to midfield stoppages/structures? I cannot remember who but his tactical nous has been applauded since his appt as one of his strengths. Does this extend to our team defence?

Just had a look and got same impression.

Quite fair enough too, would be inappropriate for him to comment in his intentions after this year. Would not be fair on Campo in particular, they need to be working together and not in a context of being contenders for next year.

Really, all anyone wants to hear right now is that people have the ship under control, next year is for another time - handled it well IMO

l

That was my out take as well. If there is a bloody good reason presented to him he might just come back. I also think he has some personal plans and its those plans that might hold him back. He might even be trying to do what Walshy was .....getting a balance correct between footy and family.

The main thing I took away from that presser was

dc2fd6da2c741a3b2f6ae5fcf700e06fafe43267ea271579118ef4292ffb25c6.jpg

I really hope so.

He doesn't have the Walsh 'gravitas'…not many do. Maybe I'm greedy but I want that figurehead at the helm.

What I'm hoping he has is a tactical brain, though is this confined to midfield stoppages/structures? I cannot remember who but his tactical nous has been applauded since his appt as one of his strengths. Does this extend to our team defence?

Campo performed well in his presser. If Campo possesses a tactical brain that's a bloody good start. However he doesn't have the same life skills that Walshy did. When Walshy talked even if it was about paintings or F1 cars people listened because they new Walshy knew what he was talking about. Walshy commanded respect by simply being there. Even the boys on AFL 360 showed a level of respect towards him when he called them ratbags. You could see them listening to him.

It wasn't long ago when many on here were calling for Campo's head so it will be interesting to see how the team performs under him but that judgement cant be made after this weekends effort.

I don't think Woosha will be our head coach next year. If he stays on as Director of Coaching then that would be brilliant but not expecting anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back