Should Essendon trade Brendan Goddard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Owenthesaints66

Debutant
Suspended
Jul 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Seems that the Bombers clearly thought they were in the Premiership window when they picked up BJ as a free agent.

Clearly things have gone pear shaped with the Bombers further away from a flag than probably 17 other sides.

So what is gained by keeping him? Two more years of non finals whilst paying a player big $'s to achieve very little.

And from Goddard's position, he really walked into the most unimaginable circumstance, none of which he had any control of.

Could the Bombers trade him for a pick in the 20's to a club with better prospects who may give him a shot at success? Perhaps even GC who may have a form rise in 2016/17?

Could be a win/win for both parties.

Thoughts?

He's only just turned 30 so he might have a few years left in him.

What should happen though is players over 30 (and really any player after they've reached free agency one) should be a free agent once their contract ends. And older guys over 30 should be signing short term deals and bouncing to different teams if they are so inclined.

Instead of a 4 year deal Goddard should've signed a 3 year deal with a 1 year player option and at the end of the year be free to go to another team. Richmond and Collingwood would be two nice fits who could do with a veteran on a back flank.

Yes but who'd take him? I think most clubs would rather bring in a young player in the draft than take a guy nearing the end.

I think you are wrong.
He could have 3 good years in front of him that is much more likely to impact over a random 18 year old at pick 28 in a "weak draft".

Trade him for what?
2a4d5a0e19d733c656a6e9225293a90d.400x297x1.jpg

He's only just turned 30 so he might have a few years left in him.

What should happen though is players over 30 (and really any player after they've reached free agency one) should be a free agent once their contract ends. And older guys over 30 should be signing short term deals and bouncing to different teams if they are so inclined.

Instead of a 4 year deal Goddard should've signed a 3 year deal with a 1 year player option and at the end of the year be free to go to another team. Richmond and Collingwood would be two nice fits who could do with a veteran on a back flank.

The problem with short term deals is the lack of security. A big part in why Goddard left to go to Essendon is because the Saints were only willing to offer 3 years where as the Bombers gave him the comfort of 4.

On topic - I can't see them getting any value for him, at all. At the very most they are getting a Brian Lake deal that would see them add in a 3rd rounder and get a little bump on their 2nd. Even then, Lake was a KPP that filled a hole the Hawks were looking to fill. How many top teams are desperate for a 30+ guy that plays his best footy on a hbf? I could see a spot for him at Sydney (replacing Shaw BUT they have Jones) maybe Richmond (replacing Newman BUT they have options) and maaaaybe Port if they want to try and top up on the cheap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who did Saints get from Goddard deal

Hickey, Spencer White and Pick 46

Pick 46 was traded to the Swans for Trent Dennis-Lane. The Swans selected Tim Membrey with pick 46. Tim Membrey then left the Swans as a delisted free agent and went to.... St Kilda! So we ended up trading Goddard for Hickey, White, TDL and Membrey.

Hickey was our #1 ruck until he was injured early this year. Longer has thrived now.

White doesn't look like he will make it. Work ethic doesn't match the talent.

TDL gave 2 years and is now at Sandringham.

Membrey looks very good BUT this was more luck than anything.

I think we lost out in the short term obviously but if Hickey and Membrey both come good we will be big winners in the long run.

The problem with short term deals is the lack of security. A big part in why Goddard left to go to Essendon is because the Saints were only willing to offer 3 years where as the Bombers gave him the comfort of 4.

On topic - I can't see them getting any value for him, at all. At the very most they are getting a Brian Lake deal that would see them add in a 3rd rounder and get a little bump on their 2nd. Even then, Lake was a KPP that filled a hole the Hawks were looking to fill. How many top teams are desperate for a 30+ guy that plays his best footy on a hbf? I could see a spot for him at Sydney (replacing Shaw BUT they have Jones) maybe Richmond (replacing Newman BUT they have options) and maaaaybe Port if they want to try and top up on the cheap.

Goddard would be a massive upgrade on Shaw, but surely Sydney couldn't afford another high priced player.
I could be wrong though.

Hickey, Spencer White and Pick 46

Pick 46 was traded to the Swans for Trent Dennis-Lane. The Swans selected Tim Membrey with pick 46. Tim Membrey then left the Swans as a delisted free agent and went to.... St Kilda! So we ended up trading Goddard for Hickey, White, TDL and Membrey.

Hickey was our #1 ruck until he was injured early this year. Longer has thrived now.

White doesn't look like he will make it. Work ethic doesn't match the talent.

TDL gave 2 years and is now at Sandringham.

Membrey looks very good BUT this was more luck than anything.

I think we lost out in the short term obviously but if Hickey and Membrey both come good we will be big winners in the long run.
saints ahead

Unless Essendon were going to wear some of the contract - I don't see how the top end sides could afford him

Goddard at 27/28 with 4-5 years left means an emerging, yet middling side could bring in some top end talent

The only other way this happens IMO is if Goddard takes a haircut

Last edited:
Unless Essendon were going to wear some of the contract - I don't see how the top end sides could afford him

Goddard at 27/28 with 4-5 years left means an emerging, yet middling side could bring in some top end talent

The only way this happens IMO is if Goddard takes a haircut

I think a WA club would be a good fit and if he helps deliver a flag, it's money well spent. I would have thought that WC have enough cap space.

I think a WA club would be a good fit and if he helps deliver a flag, it's money well spent. I would have thought that WC have enough cap space.

We might have cap space - but the likes of Gaff, Shuey, Yeo, McGovern are all going to want increases and we don't have any obvious big earners retiring any time soon.

We have a pretty well balanced side at the moment.

Freo might nab him if either Pav or McPharlin retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back