Review Geelong Cats defeats Brisbane Lions by 56 points @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Guthrie, Motlop and Caddy have been lifting big time recently.

Young players quite disappointing today though:

Smedts has to go surely. He cost about 5 goals in the first half. Was embarrassing. Managed to get some mostly soft possessions in the 2nd half and not make amazing stuff ups. But even if he did that for the whole game its not really good enough.

Lang very quiet. Has talent but due for a break.

Kersten. Just doesn't provide a marking option and too slow to be a mobile half forward flanker. His one plus is that he aint Smedts.

Kolo. Don't really see it. Shows composure most of the time and doesn't make dumb mistakes which is a tick. But other than that. Not a great size and slow. Kind of like Kersten.

Walker. Had to get on the end of a few and he did today. Well done. Now can he do it against a decent side next week?

Hope they give Cocky more of a go next week. Interesting to see how the reserves go tomorrow. There's some spots available if some of the ressies can put in some big games.

His brother said on K Rock he wasn't having a crack :D

Soft!!!
rofling I heard that, but didn't realise it was Troy (nearly wrote Scott again). Thanks NSFB, just love it :D + yes, very soft ;) Must have been the three weeks he's had off, his skin had time to heal lol Selwood played a great game today. Doesn't he just love kicking goals?

Smedts didn't have his best game today, although he did have 15 disposals today at 80% disposal efficiency and 6 marks - so it's not like he was totally out of his depth or not involved. I admit he looked a little slow at times but I would like to see the club stick with him and not just drop him back to the VFL next week.

His games in the VFL leading up to his senior recall showed he deserved a recall and the chance to string a few games together; I think he was mismanaged last week and shouldn't have started as sub - this was a good opportunity for the club to give him 8 quarters of senior footy, with the chance to pick up the pace and intensity of the game which is above VFL level, instead he sat on the bench for most of last week, before being thrown into the starting 18 this week and we wonder why he starts a bit rusty.

Maybe Smedts is in a similar situation to where Murdoch was last year and even earlier this year - Murdoch was gifted games over the past 18months where he probably shouldn't have been but it did aid in fast tracking his development and now he is over the 50 game mark and we are starting to see more consistency from him, we are seeing him knowing how to better use his body and his pace to have an impact on games. Smedts has played 37 games but in a very stop start career at senior level - 14 games in 2012, 13 in 2013 and 10 over the past 2 years, and on 2 occasions has he been able to string 5 or more consecutive AFL games together; so maybe if we can give him some consecutive games, show some trust in him and allow him to develop at this level will we start to see more from him, and maybe give him the opportunity to start to meet some of those expectations.

Guthrie, Motlop and Caddy have been lifting big time recently.

Young players quite disappointing today though:

Smedts has to go surely. He cost about 5 goals in the first half. Was embarrassing. Managed to get some mostly soft possessions in the 2nd half and not make amazing stuff ups. But even if he did that for the whole game its not really good enough.

Lang very quiet. Has talent but due for a break.

Kersten. Just doesn't provide a marking option and too slow to be a mobile half forward flanker. His one plus is that he aint Smedts.

Kolo. Don't really see it. Shows composure most of the time and doesn't make dumb mistakes which is a tick. But other than that. Not a great size and slow. Kind of like Kersten.

Walker. Had to get on the end of a few and he did today. Well done. Now can he do it against a decent side next week?

Hope they give Cocky more of a go next week. Interesting to see how the reserves go tomorrow. There's some spots available if some of the ressies can put in some big games.

You've got to be impressed with that though, given we gave up a total of three.

I think it'll be a while before Clark is up to rucking a full game. Can't even get on the field at the moment, so that's just a pipe-dream, unfortunately. I can remember him rucking well earlier this season and I was all excited, thinking -" Hooray! We can fit in Walker, Kersten, Tomahawk AND Clark" but then he's been rarely sighted since. I wouldn't hang my hat on him reappearing, either. The silence coming out from the club has been deafening at times. Clark has been on the Balmy 2-weeker injury list for quite some time, now :(
Clark's calf injury was reassessed in mid-July + it's much worse than first thought. But if that injury has worsened his difficulties, which is understandable, he may be out for longer, but I hope not. Sadly, I don't see Vardy getting back to AFL :( as much as it nearly kills me to say it.

Why? Because of Phil Walsh? :cry: I do too, for that reason :(
But if being totally Geelong-centric, if the Crows fall below us on the ladder, then won't Dangerfield find Geelong more attractive?
If he's only wanting to come to Geelong for the success, then he goes down in my estimation. If, however, he's trying to look after his wife PLUS go to Geelong because they have a wonderful culture and he just admires the club for what they exhibit onfield and off field, well I will love him like I love any other Cats player.
Success? Might as well go to the Hawks- no culture there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smedts didn't have his best game today, although he did have 15 disposals today at 80% disposal efficiency and 6 marks - so it's not like he was totally out of his depth or not involved. I admit he looked a little slow at times but I would like to see the club stick with him and not just drop him back to the VFL next week.

His games in the VFL leading up to his senior recall showed he deserved a recall and the chance to string a few games together; I think he was mismanaged last week and shouldn't have started as sub - this was a good opportunity for the club to give him 8 quarters of senior footy, with the chance to pick up the pace and intensity of the game which is above VFL level, instead he sat on the bench for most of last week, before being thrown into the starting 18 this week and we wonder why he starts a bit rusty.

Maybe Smedts is in a similar situation to where Murdoch was last year and even earlier this year - Murdoch was gifted games over the past 18months where he probably shouldn't have been but it did aid in fast tracking his development and now he is over the 50 game mark and we are starting to see more consistency from him, we are seeing him knowing how to better use his body and his pace to have an impact on games. Smedts has played 37 games but in a very stop start career at senior level - 14 games in 2012, 13 in 2013 and 10 over the past 2 years, and on 2 occasions has he been able to string 5 or more consecutive AFL games together; so maybe if we can give him some consecutive games, show some trust in him and allow him to develop at this level will we start to see more from him, and maybe give him the opportunity to start to meet some of those expectations.
Won't beat around the bush I was disappointed in Billies game today,the first holding the ball (no attempt )I could half forgive but then to be pinged the second time for the identical same thing was just unbelievable,did himself no favours today.

I think it'll be a while before Clark is up to rucking a full game. Can't even get on the field at the moment, so that's just a pipe-dream, unfortunately. I can remember him rucking well earlier this season and I was all excited, thinking -" Hooray! We can fit in Walker, Kersten, Tomahawk AND Clark" but then he's been rarely sighted since. I wouldn't hang my hat on him reappearing, either. The silence coming out from the club has been deafening at times. Clark has been on the Balmy 2-weeker injury list for quite some time, now :(

Yep could be a while off and even then when get I'd prefer Stanley in the ruck. Certainly don't think Clarke should be strolling back in ahead of Walker as a forward anyhow. Walker is playing a nice role.

I clearly have a bias for Kersten and freely admit his stat contributions need to lift.

But to acknowledge that you must also admit that he's done the little things to get his teammates into the game. And he gave 3 away today.

Not great for your SC team, but he did some good things.

Go Catters
I didn't mind him giving off some goals. Very team orientated and played his role. Didn't get it heaps but brought others in with his touches and for a guy under the pump that shows a little bit of character.

Walker had a good game, if he can kick 5 against Hawthorn then I'll be a believer.
He might need a bit more game experience before that happens, but we can hope!

Won't beat around the bush I was disappointed in Billies game today,the first holding the ball (no attempt )I could half forgive but then to be pinged the second time for the identical same thing was just unbelievable,did himself no favours today.

It's not the first or even second or third time he's done it either. I mean, how hard is it just to wave your arm around?

Yep could be a while off and even then when get I'd prefer Stanley in the ruck. Certainly don't think Clarke should be strolling back in ahead of Walker as a forward anyhow. Walker is playing a nice role.
So Clark seems to be superfluous once we get Stanley back on the park? Or does his ruck work - able to give Stanley a decent chop out- put him way ahead of Walker when the MC meet on aThursday?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back