Review Postgame discussion/positives & negatives vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Very disappointed in our inconsistency in our midfield.

Cunnington, Ziebell, Bastinac when are you guys going to become elite? To many times this year you have put in in mediocre games. Only touching the ball 2 or three times a quarter. You do not get the best opposition mid as they go to the nds, boomer or wells. Very disappointed in these three this year.

Swallow and Gibson thought had a lot of junk possessions that don't influence the game.

Dal santo you were simply lazy yesterday. Both in your care with your disposal and work rate. Expected more from you.

I feel better now I have had my spray. Bring on the tiger redemption.

It was a horrible performance but I think we needed to lose one before the finals to switch them back on. It always happens. We coast along and then get smashed. Just hoping we get a good win against the tigers to get back into the right gear again. We lose badly next week and we are gone
Ironically, the last time that keeps being brought up after a long run is 1999, and the loss that brought them back to earth was also against the Dogs. Bit of trivia there. :eek: On a serious note, you can't kick 3.8 for a half against a side in form, coming off an uncharacteristic hiding, knowing they're going to be dirty about it and expect to win. We didn't stand up to the pressure, and were once again let down by the same culprits. The positive sign for me was I saw nothing that told me when we're switched on we can't beat them. But it's pretty obvious from now on that teams are going to start triple teaming Goldy and the other North players around the ball are going to have to wise up to it. We should be used to it really, used to happen to Carey all the time.

Ironically, the last time that keeps being brought up after a long run is 1999, and the loss that brought them back to earth was also against the Dogs. Bit of trivia there. :eek: On a serious note, you can't kick 3.8 for a half against a side in form, coming off an uncharacteristic hiding, knowing they're going to be dirty about it and expect to win. We didn't stand up to the pressure, and were once again let down by the same culprits. The positive sign for me was I saw nothing that told me when we're switched on we can't beat them. But it's pretty obvious from now on that teams are going to start triple teaming Goldy and the other North players around the ball are going to have to wise up to it. We should be used to it really, used to happen to Carey all the time.

First post I've read on this thread and I don't think there is any need for me to catch up with the previous 10 pages.:thumbsu:

Having been at the game it seemed to me we matched them in the first quarter but when we won the ball, we torched it really horrendously. So the first quarter effort was largely wasted.

Eventually, they won the arm wrestle and sort of overpowered us at the contest and down the corridor. They are the fastest team in the competition to click from defence to attack and back again.

They are also much better at us to having a structure around the contest. When we win it in tight it has to be good vision from Cunnington or something heroic from Jack or Swallow to clear the traffic. When they win it in tight, they KNOW that someone will be behind them and they KNOW that when he gets the ball someone else will be running past. They can flick it around until they get out.

They also KNOW that a handball might be heading their way at any second. And they DON'T FUMBLE much - unlike some of our blokes yesterday who double grabbed the ball all day.

Funnily enough, I think we can beat them next time because we won't play that badly or that negatively again. It was disappointing, but hey we're in the 8 and we were "due".

Reckon we learned more about them than them us.

Hindsight & all that stuff but.....guaranteed a finals spot, winning 7 in a row..think we may have checked out a little. Having said that you don't want to give teams you're about to play in finals any sniff. Hope we don't now have to play interstate.

First post I've read on this thread and I don't think there is any need for me to catch up with the previous 10 pages.:thumbsu:

Having been at the game it seemed to me we matched them in the first quarter but when we won the ball, we torched it really horrendously. So the first quarter effort was largely wasted.

Eventually, they won the arm wrestle and sort of overpowered us at the contest and down the corridor. They are the fastest team in the competition to click from defence to attack and back again.

They are also much better at us to having a structure around the contest. When we win it in tight it has to be good vision from Cunnington or something heroic from Jack or Swallow to clear the traffic. When they win it in tight, they KNOW that someone will be behind them and they KNOW that when he gets the ball someone else will be running past. They can flick it around until they get out.

They also KNOW that a handball might be heading their way at any second. And they DON'T FUMBLE much - unlike some of our blokes yesterday who double grabbed the ball all day.

Funnily enough, I think we can beat them next time because we won't play that badly or that negatively again. It was disappointing, but hey we're in the 8 and we were "due".

Yep Fumble in the Jungle

The other thing that struck me was their ability to get their arms high, so that they were only able to be tackled around the waist/torso. They maintain control in the tackle, while looking around for options. As opposed to us, who get caught blind, arms pinned and almost in shock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thing that struck me was their ability to get their arms high, so that they were only able to be tackled around the waist/torso. They maintain control in the tackle, while looking around for options. As opposed to us, who get caught blind, arms pinned and almost in shock.

The better teams seem to be able to do that,Hawthorn are past masters, still reckon the Dogs threw it a fair bit but the umps seem willing to let that go unless its super obvious.

This may have already been said, I haven't gone back over the last 10 pages but thought I'd throw my two cents in. I'm actually really happy with that game. That was one of our poorer games, but not too long ago we'd have crumbled and lost by 10 goals. Instead it was 4. The dogs are a good side and showed it but our poor was still not too shabby. Our forwards looked good. Tarrant was excellent. Atley showed some brilliant signs, tried to take the game on and use his speed. I think it shows some great improvement. Really looking forward to next week and the finals now.

Common sense rules, Mr Reliable. You can see it, I can see it, hope the coaching team can also see it. How many 'top' teams seem to have a 'sixth sense' mentality, where they know how a passage of play unfolds. I am a supporter who constantly rants, " Don't' let it out!" at stoppages near the opposition goal. How often do we see these teams score because they work to a plan...one, two, three handballs and the space opens for the kicker. Unfortunately by comparison, North players grab the ball, try to force an opening ( trouble), try to handball to a surrounded team-mate (trouble) who then tries to get it to another etc etc. I love watching teams that play flowing footy and they do it for a reason.....They Can!

The better teams seem to be able to do that,Hawthorn are past masters, still reckon the Dogs threw it a fair bit but the umps seem willing to let that go unless its super obvious.

It was quite evident how much quicker they were around the stoppages, always getting an extra handball/throw while we were seemingly a little slow to react. They also always had a man out the back of stoppages. Wallis, Dalhaus, Hunter and Macrae all had 15+ handballs each, while only three of our stoppage mids (Dal, Basti, Swallow) had more than 15 disposals total.

I am also one of those who gets irrationally angry at the footy when the opposition gets the footy out when we should be able to force a stoppage. It was very clear they have been coached to free their arms as soon as they are tackled, and kept a lot of broken play alive because of it.

Common sense rules, Mr Reliable. You can see it, I can see it, hope the coaching team can also see it. How many 'top' teams seem to have a 'sixth sense' mentality, where they know how a passage of play unfolds. I am a supporter who constantly rants, " Don't' let it out!" at stoppages near the opposition goal. How often do we see these teams score because they work to a plan...one, two, three handballs and the space opens for the kicker. Unfortunately by comparison, North players grab the ball, try to force an opening ( trouble), try to handball to a surrounded team-mate (trouble) who then tries to get it to another etc etc. I love watching teams that play flowing footy and they do it for a reason.....They Can!

Even Melbourne have a plan out the back. It's just that they're crap at implementing it.

Sorry to intrude when you are still feeling a bit raw. I just wanted to say fantastic crowd and a good atmosphere yesterday, will hopefully sway the thinking of the AFL that our two clubs can draw a good crowd and get us a good fixture for our game/s next year, maybe even Good Friday.

Hoping you will get Tigers in the finals and kick their butts - good luck.

We rarely seem to have any players on the move at centre bounces, eg, Swallow, Cunners, and Jacobs, all static. And when invariably Goldy taps it to their feet, if they take posession, it is a quick handball to a stationary target, a hacked kick forward, where our forwards are rarely in the front position, or get pinned in a tackle for a free against, or another ball up. We need variation in there, Bulldogs changed it up regularly yesterday, and it is the Hawks modus operandi.

No doubt we should be looking for speed come trade/draft period.

But I reckon it was a combination of tired bodies, 7 straight wins, expecting Goldy to feed the mids all night and Bevridge out coaching Brad that lead to the loss.

The Bulldogs might be a faster team, but they are not a better team all round.

Remember Port with their run from half back into the corridor? That only got them so far.

The doggies entire game depends on their mids. Their backline is soft and there forward line depends on Stringer. Crameri is unreliable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very disappointed in our inconsistency in our midfield.

Cunnington, Ziebell, Bastinac when are you guys going to become elite? To many times this year you have put in in mediocre games.

Bastinac - Never
Ziebell - When played as a HHF with 20-30% midfield time (pending match circumstances)
Cunnington - When the above happens and we get him help in their that can actually run and complement his game.

Swallow and Gibson thought had a lot of junk possessions that don't influence the game.

Swallow - Regularly but usually hits like a tank with tackles, when we are poor he is exposed though. Not back to his pre injury level though.
Gibson - Most of the time, not just yesterday. Not what he was and not suiting the way the game is being played at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Mood surprisingly upbeat here, a lot of people seem happy to 'just make the finals'. After 6 years of build up where our window is open now I thought yesterday was a disgrace. Given the not unreasonable expectation of finishing top 4 and at least playing in a pre lim yesterday for me put a full stop on this team and the coach. I am looking at it over the long term and a few on here have mentioned our drop off in pace, despite having mainly the same playing group, the dysfunction of our midfield, our lack of mental toughness, our poor tackling technique, I'm confident you could go back 5 years on this board and find the same issues and others being raised again and again. It's not on!

I don't care if we play in a pre lim this year it's time to change coach and staff clean out the player cupboard for a mini rebuild and start playing our younger talent (before they qualify for free agency having played less than 20 senior games for North) To the delusional on here who thought a 4 goal loss was not as a bad as a 10 goal loss there is a reason for this, we were playing the doggies not the hawks et al.

I have read all 10 pages and my final observation about yesterday confirms my labia theory regarding our game plan, we spread too wide out of the back line, we need to see a new vagina designer (coach) and get us a 'rosebud' keep it tight and up the centre and hit the sweet spot more often than not at the very least we will get more exciting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back