Is it time to rest players?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they all had a rest yesterday. Give it two weeks and they'll be having even a longer rest.

Nah that's not right. In fact, if we beat Richmond, Adelaide beat Geelong, dogs beat lions, we play the dogs at the g (5 v 8) and Adelaide play Richmond in Adelaide!! (6 v 7)
If we beat Richmond, we are depending on the Dogs beating the Lions in Brisbane or Geelong beating Adelaide for a Melbourne. If we lose to Richmond we are guaranteed a Melbourne final.

If we beat Richmond, we are depending on the Dogs beating the Lions in Brisbane or Geelong beating Adelaide for a Melbourne. If we lose to Richmond we are guaranteed a Melbourne final.
True but do we really want to go into a finals series with 2 losses in a row?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...-out-final-round/story-e6frf3e3-1227506785318

NORTH Melbourne will consider resting a group of core senior players against Richmond on Friday night to freshen them for the finals.

The deliberation comes as Fremantle coach Ross Lyon confirmed he planned to rest half of his first-choice team against Port Adelaide for their Round 23 clash.

AFL rules on team selection were tightened after 2013 when Lyon rested 11 players and the Dockers revealed on Monday he had the same number in mind this weekend.

The AFL on Monday indicated it would approve the radical tactic as bookies rushed to make Port a $1.15 favourite to beat ladder-leading Fremantle ($5.50) at Adelaide Oval.

The Kangaroos will make a decision at match committee later in the week whether to leave out players who are sore and or fatigued.

Included in the group of sore players is Brownlow Medal contender Todd Goldstein, who has played every game this season.

I don't know what the fuss is about - we simply must rest players.

Not sure if some people got the memo but WE ARE IN 8th POSITION AND HAVE TO WIN 4 FINALS IN A ROW.. we don't have the luxury of the top 4 who can score themselves a week off after a win in the first week of finals.

Next week will have a different intensity altogether with players colliding into each other harder and faster than normal.
It's been a long season already so we need our veterans or injured players as fresh as possible.

Tactically we are in a great position to rest the guys who need it because all the odds are pointing to a final in Melbourne against Richmond or Dogs so the time is now.

Don't buy into the 'going into finals with 2 losses in a row' talk either, we're in the finals, we're finals hardened, we need the boys fresh to give them every chance of tackling 4 games straight (including travel), make it happen Scotts.

I don't know what the fuss is about - we simply must rest players.

Not sure if some people got the memo but WE ARE IN 8th POSITION AND HAVE TO WIN 4 FINALS IN A ROW.. we don't have the luxury of the top 4 who can score themselves a week off after a win in the first week of finals.

Next week will have a different intensity altogether with players colliding into each other harder and faster than normal.
It's been a long season already so we need our veterans or injured players as fresh as possible.

Tactically we are in a great position to rest the guys who need it because all the odds are pointing to a final in Melbourne against Richmond or Dogs so the time is now.

Don't buy into the 'going into finals with 2 losses in a row' talk either, we're in the finals, we're finals hardened, we need the boys fresh to give them every chance of tackling 4 games straight (including travel), make it happen Scotts.
Not sure we've got the mental capacity to get belted by Richmond due to resting key players and then expect to beat them the week after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's an odd outcome, rest core players and still beat Tigers, making selection for 1st final very interesting :)

that was my point in another thread who says the players who would come in for the rested players cant win a game of footy? Those players who come in will be desperate to show what they are capable of eg Turner last year. Richmond need to desperately win so let them go all out and if they lose with our rested places even better and if they do win we will be ready for them at the MCG with fresh players ready to give it there all.

Here's an odd outcome, rest core players and still beat Tigers, making selection for 1st final very interesting :)
That'd be perfect, unfortunately might be underestimating the tigers, we rock up with anything but our best and I'm guessing we get belted.

Waite had scans last Monday, so something is bothering him. Goldy hurt his hip on Saturday. Higgins has had issues with a knee. The outs can surely reflect the injuries instead of saying "rest" can't they? , it's not like they're made up.

Waite had scans last Monday, so something is bothering him. Goldy hurt his hip on Saturday. Higgins has had issues with a knee. The outs can surely reflect the injuries instead of saying "rest" can't they? , it's not like they're made up.

My wallet hurts....pre buying tickets 3 weeks ago ffs.

...and to add insult to injury get a Twister at Wallan Kfc Saturday night on way home and nek minit stupid server does not wrap it properly and Twister unwraps in lap....nekminit chicken salad s**t everywhere. ..nek day pants stained with Kfc grease...gtfo.

Not sure we've got the mental capacity to get belted by Richmond due to resting key players and then expect to beat them the week after.
OK so we've already lost the game by plenty.. my bad!..

We're not replacing 18 AFL players with 18 Werribee players - we're resting a handful our veterans, if anything guys like Turner will give us some fresh enthusiasm on Friday.

BTW: Haven't we beaten Richmond the last 7 out 8 games we've played? if I were Richmond I would be worried about us no matter who was in our first 22..

We're going to have to win four on the trot to win the big one, likely with a trip to Perth. I think our only chance is if we rest up, lose to the Tiges and finish 8th.

Finishing 8th we still play Tiges or Dogs, no chance of going to Adelaide and we would likely play Sydney week 2, not Hawthorn or Eagles in Perth.

Wouldn't normally say this but rest up boys.

We could send out a hit squad to take down as many Richmond players as possible and hence ensure they head into the finals hobbled. Hmmmmmmmmmm.................first rover - The Beast!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back