Toast Pick #48: Welcome to the kennel Bailey Williams

Remove this Banner Ad

No wonder Dalrymple called out his name very quickly, those highlights look the best out of all our draftees IMO. A Dalrymple special.
Agree. This is one of Dalrymple's 'picks from nowhere' and who's to doubt his selections in recent times (Fuller excluded). My guess is Dal has had his eyes on this guy for some time and was just waiting to pounce.

I've seen Bailey play since he was 7 and he has always been a gifted talent but he has been a late developer physically than many kids his age going through the ranks. This is why he never made junior State teams and not dominant at Glenelg junior squads in the 12 to 16 age bracket. But he started showing signs of being a class above at local club level at my club Brighton last year and we didn't see him at all this year because he was with Glenelg all season and won their U18 B & F despite playing 7 or 8 games in the Reserves. So many juniors dominate and make state teams because of superior strength, size, speed, endurance etc. but get caught up and overtaken by the lads with class and that sixth sense that can't be taught. In my book Bailey is in that latter category. Comparing him to Pendlebury is a big call but he has that similar 360 degree movement and vision with that ability to make space and time for himself without anyone laying a glove on him.

I've seen Bailey play since he was 7 and he has always been a gifted talent but he has been a late developer physically than many kids his age going through the ranks. This is why he never made junior State teams and not dominant at Glenelg junior squads in the 12 to 16 age bracket. But he started showing signs of being a class above at local club level at my club Brighton last year and we didn't see him at all this year because he was with Glenelg all season and won their U18 B & F despite playing 7 or 8 games in the Reserves. So many juniors dominate and make state teams because of superior strength, size, speed, endurance etc. but get caught up and overtaken by the lads with class and that sixth sense that can't be taught. In my book Bailey is in that latter category. Comparing him to Pendlebury is a big call but he has that similar 360 degree movement and vision with that ability to make space and time for himself without anyone laying a glove on him.
Cheers man, appreciate the summary.

I've quoted Snoop's write up on him here just for convenience.

# 71 Collingwood - Bailey Williams (Glenelg / 185cm / 75kg)

Has come to prominence in the 2nd half of the year with some really standout performances not the least of which was the 56 possession game vs Eagles. Has not come through any of the junior pathways and so clubs will look at him as someone with potentially even more upside than others given what they could do with him inside an AFL environment. What stands out about Bailey is that he has time.....oodles of it. He just waits longer in the congestion than other kids would do so he make really decisions on exit. He is beautifully balanced on either side and his hands are exceptionally clean when the ball is on the deck. His ball use by hand is very good and he can handpass off either equally as well. His use by foot won't worry anyone and whilst its not hugely penetrating it is good and he weights and advantages his kicks well. He is already a good runner and tests well for endurance and uses it to best advantage to get as many stoppages as he can. He has some pace but again it will be something that clubs will look to work on with him and build that explosiveness from the stoppage. He is light but he has already shown he has the ability to add weight to his frame and that will continue to come. Its a massive call and he is nowhere near it but he does share Pendlebury traits and it is worth remembering with one year in the talent pathway Pendlebury improved out of site. Williams hasn't had that year yet but suspect he will in 2016.

Why: I think he has a high ceiling and I also think the Pies can afford to give him time to build himself into an AFL footballer given their depth. They would be keen on a taller type but unless someone from above drops I cant see it happening. Maybe Hulett or Allen.

I only have that video to go on. But man he had some sticky hands in that game. Some of those one-grab marks were excellent. But even better was that through the legs party trick at 1.20. That kind of cleanness of hand has "made for AFL" written all over it.

I only hope we can bring out the best in him. If so, I reckon he is going to be very very handy.

Thanks mate , he had everyone straight to google when his name was read out.
But he does look like one of those blokes with that footy nous and composure you can't teach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope the Yankees hat is just a fashion affectation and not a indication of true allegiance.

Thing I notice about him is that he has a Bont like ability to move through traffic and find the right handball.

I liked his video too but must keep things in perspective - he went very late in a draft pool rated by most as the worst ever.

Considering that it would be a win to have 2/4 of the draftees on our list in 3 years time.

Excited about this one. You can't underestimate 56 disposals in a high level comp of footy. Are we going for the tallest midfield in the afl? I just want next season to start.

Looking forward to see this kid in the flesh. Never like relying on a highlights video exclusively. I like the fact that he played quite a few reserves matches as well. Hopefully he has a good run at it and we get see him develop into a fine footballer for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I liked his video too but must keep things in perspective - he went very late in a draft pool rated by most as the worst ever.

Considering that it would be a win to have 2/4 of the draftees on our list in 3 years time.
To most pessimistic recruiters it's a shallow draft, to ours it's a challenging goldmine. I back Dal in to find great talent in the 'shallowest' of draft pools.

Love the long arms and big frame, heaps of development to come there. One thing he needs to work on is his left side, changes direction to get on his right when should give with his left. Can be worked on but will need to, can't get away with that consistently in AFL.

Don't mean to alarm anyone but this one of Bailey's clubmates last season:

christian%20howard%202_550ae853fc1b8e48265e2e5f718f1791.jpg

:eek:

This pick excites me the more I think about it. It is one that could make Dalrymple a genius. One of the all time great draft steals. Am I getting my hopes up too much? Time will tell. Apart from a 56 possie game (his team lost by almost 100 and he had a teammate pick up 50, 46/56 disposals were effective) he had a 20 tackle game. He was named in the bests in 9 of his last 10 games in the U18's and was named in the bests once in the reserves, but it was his final game in the reserves. He could well be a serious late improver who will only get better. He also went at a very high disposal efficiency for the year. He was playing alongside Mason Redman, and was as good if not better in a final, and a second final he led his team in a loss when Redman wasn't playing. His final reserves game before going back to U18's for finals he registered 21 disposals and a goal, of 11 kicks 1 was ineffective and of 10 handballs 1 was ineffective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back