Review 2015 afl rookie draft - all reviews here

Remove this Banner Ad

Really...thats a heck of a recommendation . Be happy if he close to him... but he an inside player Corey was inside and outside.
As I said, only my opinion, and I have not scored well with hoping we nab the Eastern boys to date.
I likened McStay to Harry Taylor- so he's Playing CHF at Brisbane.
I wanted Ben Cavarra- no team has picked in 3 drafts!
I never rated Joel Corey's kicking, easy to be better at age 18.
And Parsons is tall and has a tank.
Let's see if we get him off the rookie list for starters. I am quietly confident we have a special rookie though, but I am NOT saying he will be a better player than Joel Corey- that would be farcical- just that he looks to have better kicking ability, similar physical attributes to the 18 yo JC version, and is the type of mid teams are looking at these days.

As I said, only my opinion, and I have not scored well with hoping we nab the Eastern boys to date.
I likened McStay to Harry Taylor- so he's Playing CHF at Brisbane.
I wanted Ben Cavarra- no team has picked in 3 drafts!
I never rated Joel Corey's kicking, easy to be better at age 18.
And Parsons is tall and has a tank.
Let's see if we get him off the rookie list for starters. I am quietly confident we have a special rookie though, but I am NOT saying he will be a better player than Joel Corey- that would be farcical- just that he looks to have better kicking ability, similar physical attributes to the 18 yo JC version, and is the type of mid teams are looking at these days.

I realise its a "IMO".... and I actually rate your eye. Why someone like Cavarra doesn't get a go and other do... not sure. All Id say is if I was him , id be be doing my best to get into a system like our VFL... just like Ruggles maybe it could work for him.

I agree Corey kicking in todays footy would probably mean he would not have been drafted at the number he was in 99. But he was such durable gut running animal , with a robust body...if we have found someone anywhere near that , we really have a bargain.

I realise its a "IMO".... and I actually rate your eye. Why someone like Cavarra doesn't get a go and other do... not sure. All Id say is if I was him , id be be doing my best to get into a system like our VFL... just like Ruggles maybe it could work for him.

I agree Corey kicking in todays footy would probably mean he would not have been drafted at the number he was in 99. But he was such durable gut running animal , with a robust body...if we have found someone anywhere near that , we really have a bargain.
THAT is the issue. Corey certainly was that. I was at the game when Vossy ran through him and dislocated his shoulder; he was quite scrawny back then, and now we look back and realise how tough and resilient he was. I hope we can be saying that about Duncan, and Guthrie, and Parsons et al.

What I liked about Parson's highlights was his ability to think and move quickly to advantage in close, he uses clever moves like a smaller player yet has the run carry and long kick like the rangy player he is.
He's an interesting selection.

Last edited:
THAT is the issue. Corey certainly was that. I was at the game when Vossy ran through him and dislocated his shoulder; he was quite scrawny back then, and now we look back and realise how tough and resilient he was. I hope we can be saying that about Duncan, and Guthrie, and Parsons et al.

Was that Budda retirement game in Geelong?

That I can't recall.
Buddahs last game was at Princess Park against Carlton.. the game Milburn ran though Silvagni.. remember the day well.

Buddahs last game was at Princess Park against Carlton.. the game Milburn ran though Silvagni.. remember the day well.
I was there for that too, but the week before was his last Geelong home game which I think Turbo refers to.

Really happy with who Cats picked up also Nth Melb picking up Farren Ray are they serious?
NM? clearly in it for a shot at the flag next year. It could work, and if not, bye bye Brad? Not really- I rate both the Scotts as coaches.

I was there for that too, but the week before was his last Geelong home game which I think Turbo refers to.

correct... the way it worked out ...it should have been his last. He did the big lap at the end , and why it was SJ , Kelly and Stokes... I remember we came out and went hard as we could for a while and then got crunched by an emerging power side. (if I remember it correctly)

I think he is- at Frankston?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After our sensational (and lucky) trade period, and surprising very good draft pick we have topped off a good rookie list. Of course the proof will be in the pudding 2-3 years to bake, but it looks much better than I thought it would be. Well done to Stephen Wells and his staff.

Define Lucky for me Steady..... cause I'm not sure there was a heap of luck in the trade period.

We have added some names that look promising. We have somehow added a couple of kids that appear to be underrated...meanwhile ignoring more highly rated prospects. The rating at draft while relative at that time becomes less and less relative. You say bake and it not a bad analogy.

Wells is great at finding the right raw ingredients... the free range eggs so to speak , the best from the farmers market. Perhaps not dressed up and slickly wrapped but it give the guys with the aprons the best chance to cook an outstanding result , more often than not.

Its what those who base all around those early picks seem to over look. Give the best ingredients to a hack cook... you still end up with a dogs breakfast.

Luck maybe a little.

Last edited:
In my view Parsons was our best pickup in the Rookie Draft. I have the privilege of knowing a few of the Ranges boys (past and present) given i live in close proximity. He's exactly what we need off halfback where we sometimes look slow. Would love to see him developed into a Mackie type role as his size and foot skills are very similiar. Probably didn't get the attention he should of in the national draft due to the Ranges attention around Weideman, Hardwick and Clarke (a personal favorite). Also surprised the skipper Jeffs didn't get picked up - however it was a VERY strong ranges side, one of the strongest in years.

Anyway Parson does have very good leg speed, disposal and reads the play well. One thing you won't read about him is his third man up work which i witnessed one game before his injury he looked so good and just knew where the ball was going to hit the deck. If he gets his consistency right he could be a very damaging player for us, still reckon more of a rebounding defender/winger than forward though, needs to add some kegs too.

In my view Parsons was our best pickup in the Rookie Draft. I have the privilege of knowing a few of the Ranges boys (past and present) given i live in close proximity. He's exactly what we need off halfback where we sometimes look slow. Would love to see him developed into a Mackie type role as his size and foot skills are very similiar. Probably didn't get the attention he should of in the national draft due to the Ranges attention around Weideman, Hardwick and Clarke (a personal favorite). Also surprised the skipper Jeffs didn't get picked up - however it was a VERY strong ranges side, one of the strongest in years.

Anyway Parson does have very good leg speed, disposal and reads the play well. One thing you won't read about him is his third man up work which i witnessed one game before his injury he looked so good and just knew where the ball was going to hit the deck. If he gets his consistency right he could be a very damaging player for us, still reckon more of a rebounding defender/winger than forward though, needs to add some kegs too.

Great insight into what I thought was a great rookie pick up for the club. Apart from his natural pace and acceleration he seems pretty clever with good evasive skills too.
I fancied Jeffs myself but Wells must have thought Parson had the upside on him. He looks all of his 189cms.

It was a complement. He moves a bit like Gray, looks like him and is similar shape.

Ahh...my apologies ...

If he gets any where near Robbie ( who I rate in the top 6 in the AFL....what a player he is ) I'll be a very happy lil Cat!

Define Lucky for me Steady..... cause I'm not sure there was a heap of luck in the trade period.

We have added some names that look promising. We have somehow added a couple of kids that appear to be underrated...meanwhile ignoring more highly rated prospects. The rating at draft while relative at that time becomes less and less relative. You say bake and it not a bad analogy.

Wells is great at finding the right raw ingredients... the free range eggs so to speak , the best from the farmers market. Perhaps not dressed up and slickly wrapped but it give the guys with the aprons the best chance to cook an outstanding result , more often than not.

Its what those who base all around those early picks seem to over look. Give the best ingredients to a hack cook... you still end up with a dogs breakfast.

Luck maybe a little.
We were lucky that one of the top 5 midfielders in the country was a local and wanted to return home close to his family and was available as a free agent. We were lucky that our Captain's brother was prepared to move on and the perfect place to move to was back home to Vic and to his brother's club. We were lucky that a first round draft key position player was also a local boy and was having trouble at his club which was in tatters and designated our club as his desired new location. We were lucky that a 25 year old 65 gamer, Rising Star nominee who looks like a number one ruckman decided he had enough and publicly declared Geelong as the club he would like to move to, why, I do not know.

Without taking anything away from the astute way Wells, Cook and Hocking negotiated these deals it was incredible luck that we had an elite proven champion and three others with a mass of potential all signal to us that we were the club they were after, it is usually the other way round.

We were lucky that one of the top 5 midfielders in the country was a local and wanted to return home close to his family and was available as a free agent. We were lucky that our Captain's brother was prepared to move on and the perfect place to move to was back home to Vic and to his brother's club. We were lucky that a first round draft key position player was also a local boy and was having trouble at his club which was in tatters and designated our club as his desired new location. We were lucky that a 25 year old 65 gamer, Rising Star nominee who looks like a number one ruckman decided he had enough and publicly declared Geelong as the club he would like to move to, why, I do not know.

Without taking anything away from the astute way Wells, Cook and Hocking negotiated these deals it was incredible luck that we had an elite proven champion and three others with a mass of potential all signal to us that we were the club they were after, it is usually the other way round.

Luck that they wanted to come here... I guess. But its not the way I interpreted your post. So Danger yes lucky etc but that was little to do with our trade period..it was in the calculations well before the trade period..for years in fact. One may have said we were almost unlucky with the events that happened in Adelaide.

Scooter..yes I guess a brother FA , and Henderson a local...but again if the clubs was not right would it happen.

Sure Smith wanting to come falls into the realm of luck a bit but if you set the club right , and both parties see a mutual benefit then there is always a chance of players wanting to come.

If we elevate , due to have improved our list ...more players may want to come in 2016. So yes some luck... but I think mostly its the type of luck you make happen.

Agree with you Cezz. Not sure if we know each other, but I could not believe our luck in getting Parsons. Very exciting prospect, and a really high quality young man, which our club values. For me, with minimal knowledge of the rest, our best pickup/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back