Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm championing changing them so they aren't dreadful.
its the solution

its been known to be the solution for years

the research has been done

you need more bus routes

that are more direct

smaller buses

more frequent and reliable service that you can track from your phone or that has the live times at the stop like trains do

if people have cheap reasonable alternatives to driving everywhere they will take advantage of them

not to mention that benefit to people that can't drive everywhere who are currently largely ignored by PT planning

I'm championing changing them so they aren't dreadful.
That would be nice but near impossible. Public transport will always have the public on it after all

more leg room would be nice though. The fact every seat ever made for a public setting is clearly designed for people under 6 foot is a pain in the backside

its the solution

its been known to be the solution for years

the research has been done

you need more bus routes

that are more direct

smaller buses

more frequent and reliable service that you can track from your phone or that has the live times at the stop like trains do

if people have cheap reasonable alternatives to driving everywhere they will take advantage of them

not to mention that benefit to people that can't drive everywhere who are currently largely ignored by PT planning
Sounds like a colossal cost

Sounds like a colossal cost
that's always the excuse

can't afford to spend money on infrastructure or public services that benefit people

got to give it all to the US and UK for submarines that we will never get (but we'll probably get the nuclear waste they want to dump here and pay for the privilege)

we'll find the cash for the fossil fuel industry to keep subsidizing its profits

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the prevailing policy of borrowing, spending, and handouts over the last 20 years has also done SFA.

Just a modicum of discipline during the GFC and Covid and we would be in a far better place.

Continuing to spend only kicks the can down the road.

If what Chalmers delivered is going to meet his objectives then he should be able to explain why.

We could actually do with some “economists” in these positions. Anyone, just an experiment, following the principles rationally and dryly.

Money is created by increasing debt…
Debt = Money

How money is created is the issue

But why are the dreadful? Being infrequent is a sure big part of that.
This week I have sat next to 3 people that stood out in my mind

One stunk of horrific BO, another like used nappies, and another weed. Honestly, no one wants to catch a bus other than cost saving side. It's an awful mode of transportation really

I don't think including a tiny amount of people from investing in a specific part of the housing market will make much difference, but it will look good to those who revel in hating on elected officials.

Someone else will be paying off their investment properties on the taxpayers dime. Just pickin' winners and losers.
It sounds like you are saying there is no point in trying to stop rorting as it will always happen anyway so we shouldn't bother to close loopholes and that people who would like more probity & accountability from elected representatives are haters?

Strange attitude. Do you have skin in the game? I can't think why any normal taxpayer would think like this.

One stunk of horrific BO, another like used nappies, and another weed. Honestly, no one wants to catch a bus other than cost saving side. It's an awful mode of transportation really
The mode of transportation isn't awful, it sounds like you think the people using it are awful (note: they may think you're the awful one using it). Well, if the major problems were solved so that more and more people used it, the number of 'awful' people would shrink as a proportion and people would think about it in the same way they do trains.

So often I see these giant people movers with one or two people in them. Replace them with the smaller school bus style of bus, fitting maybe 40 people, which navigate the streets much quicker, and send two in the same time it would take one big bus. Or split the route between two or three of these smaller buses. The aim should be to move people from their homes to the train station in about 10 mins, then train into the city.

Buses get stuck in traffic like cars do. But yes smaller buses make more sense.

When i was without a drivers license for a few months a couple of years back, I bought an E-Bike so i could ride 40km a day , rather than put up with busses ( and the 4 hours of commuting each day ).

But you can get the same people on a tram or a train.
Buses get stuck in traffic like cars do. But yes smaller buses make more sense.

When i was without a drivers license for a few months a couple of years back, I bought an E-Bike so i could ride 40km a day , rather than put up with busses ( and the 4 hours of commuting each day ).
That's fixable though. Bus lanes at a start and better priority at traffic lights.

There's simple stuff we could be doing now to improve buses. But politicians don't because you can't cut a ribbon on it.

It's a shame that busses suck, but there's limited space for the state to keep building carparks and freeways so people can drive into the city and the economics of that outweigh people having an ick about sharing public transport with the metaphorical or literal unwashed. Put just a quarter of the carpark and freeway money into busses and maybe the service would be better.

Where are you travelling from?

I've been catching the bus for years and could count the number of smelly people on one hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back