Play Nice Referendum - Indigenous Voice in Parliament - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to the proposed Referendum, from the Referendum Working Group:
(Edited 6 April 2023)

These are the words that will be put to the Australian people in the upcoming referendum as agreed by the Referendum Working Group (made up of representatives of First Nations communities from around Australia):

"A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?"

As well as that, it will be put to Australians that the constitution be amended to include a new chapter titled "Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples".

The details would be:

View attachment 1636890

The Prime Minister has committed to the government introducing legislation with this wording to parliament on 30 March 2023 and to establishing a joint parliamentary committee to consider it and receive submissions on the wording, providing ALL members of Parliament with the opportunity to consider and debate the full details of the proposal.

Parliament will then vote on the wording in June in the lead up to a National Referendum.

The ANU has issued a paper responding to common public concerns expressed in relation to the proposed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice here:

Summary details of the key points from this paper may be found in Chief post here:
The Uluru Statement from the Heart:
Not specifically No. In any case it does not form part of the Referendum proposal.

View attachment 1769742
Seeing as things have gotten a bit toxic in here, let's try to return things to a more civil tone.

The following will result in warnings to begin with, and if said behaviour continues will be escalated:
  • referring to another poster as racist without direct provocation.
  • dismissing or deriding another poster's lived experience.
  • personal attacks or one line posts designed solely to insult or deride.

You might notice that the final rule is from the board rules. Thought we should probably remember that this is against the rules in case it's been forgotten.

Let's play nicely from here, people.

\DGAF what spud and price say

You should. One is the leader of the Opposition, the other the opposition spokesperson for indigenous affairs. They will both be key in implementing policies and programs if/when the coalition is back in government.

the perpetual sh*tslinging that goes on in here.

But nah, you have to post something cynical coz you're still lamenting the result.

Irony much?

And take a look back on my posting history in this thread if you think my interest in this matter is just cheap politicking or 'cynical sh*tslinging' without substance.

But here's a tip - if you are genuinely interested in the topic then go and read the latest Independent Productivity Commission Report on progress towards meeting the Closing the Gap targets and their recommendations on what needs to be done to improve outcomes. I've posted links to that report and others and summarised their findings in previous posts in this thread. One thing that might surprise you is their support for Indigenous Voice to ensure those directly affected by the failure of government indigenous programs have a say in designing and implementing them.

Then you 'might' have a better idea of why the blame can and should rest with politicians like Price and Dutton who have failed Indigenous Australians over years and why their use of the referendum for political point scoring has made things much worse.

So forgive me for not engaging you further on the matter. I'm not interested in your superficial game playing.

Last edited:

You should. One is the leader of the Opposition, the other the opposition spokesperson for indigenous affairs. They will both be key in implementing policies and programs if/when the coalition is back in government.

Irony much?

And take a look back on my posting history in this thread if you think my interest in this matter is just cheap politicking or 'cynical sh*tslinging' without substance.

But here's a tip - if you are genuinely interested in the topic then go and read the latest Independent Productivity Commission Report on progress towards meeting the Closing the Gap targets and their recommendations on what needs to be done to improve outcomes. I've posted links to that report and others and summarised their findings in previous posts in this thread. One thing that might surprise you is their support for Indigenous Voice to ensure those directly affected by the failure of government indigenous programs have a say in designing and implementing them.

Then you 'might' have a better idea of why the blame can and should rest with politicians like Price and Dutton who have failed Indigenous Australians over years and why their use of the referendum for political point scoring has made things much worse.

So forgive me for not engaging you further on the matter. I'm not interested in your superficial game playing.
Do you have a link?

They must be Nazis. It's extremely disappointing to see the SRP give Nazi's a voice.
Question: Are you going to stop this random shitposting you've been doing the last few days or so?

Question: Are you going to stop this random shitposting you've been doing the last few days or so?
Yeah, I've had my fun here. I'll do a bit more shitposting on the cricket thread then take a break if that's ok.

Irony much?

You're entirely missing the point, the IPCR is something we should be discussing, not the sh*tslinging going on in here < counterproductive.

So you can take your incorrect assumption of 'superficial gaming' on my part and apply to those in here that are actually doing this.

If ya wanna 'blame', go ahead, knock yourself out, ain't gonna help no one.
They will both be key in implementing policies and programs if/when the coalition is back in government.
This seems further back than ever, if they keep going the way they're going, they ain't gettin back in. If there's a silver lining of the no vote, this is it.

So no, I'm not gonna listen to self interested narcissists on policy making. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence won't either. Only fringe minorities like one neuron voters would even bother accepting their views.

By the hearty chuckle, I presume you don't have a link Festerz

Apologies - I used the laughing emoji because there is 'irony' BF emoji. But on reflection the sad emoji would have been more appropriate.

The link to that key report has been posted and referenced by me and others many times in this thread.

And yet you and some others who are in the top 10 contributors in this thread have clearly not even bothered to access it - despite it being core to the discussion on Indigenous disadvantage and the tragic gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous health and well being outcomes in 21st century Australia and why a body such as the Voice might be key to turn things around.

Yeah, I've had my fun here.

Sums it up I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would the voice have altered that?

It wouldn't have.
It would have ensured that the concerns of aboriginals were not lost in the concerns of those who:

Want less tax
Want more education and health.
Want lower housing and utility costs.
etc etc

Its a small cost to listen.

Yeah, I've had my fun here. I'll do a bit more shitposting on the cricket thread then take a break if that's ok.
So there you have it. When we get right down to it this whole thread has been largely seen as a yet another victory lap by those who voted NO or even worse - those who possibly voted NO and then pretended they voted YES in an attempt to even get people to even read their tripe.

Apologies - I used the laughing emoji because there is 'irony' BF emoji. But on reflection the sad emoji would have been more appropriate.

The link to that key report has been posted and referenced by me and others many times in this thread.

And yet you and some others who are in the top 10 contributors in this thread have clearly not even bothered to access it - despite it being core to the discussion on Indigenous disadvantage and the tragic gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous health and well being outcomes in 21st century Australia and why a body such as the Voice might be key to turn things around.

Sums it up I guess.
Why would they want to read something that would probably take the wind out of their sails when they are in full victory dance mode?

So there you have it. When we get right down to it this whole thread has been largely seen as a yet another victory lap by those who voted NO or even worse - those who possibly voted NO and then pretended they voted YES in an attempt to even get people to even read their tripe.

You should start a new thread for strictly yes voters only.
You can celebrate ditching clients with other self employed people.

Has any person who voted no thought, gee maybe I have no idea about this issue and the impact it has had on Aboriginal people. Were the majority of people right with Stolen Generation as well?
I suspect alot like Civil Right and SSM eventually the No vote will realise they were on the wrong side of history, they just hung onto it a little bit longer.

Going on about mods and modding when you know such issues are raised privately.

This thread is for a small group of dishonest posters to denigrate, insult and belittle Indigenous people and Yes voters.

Back on topic please.
pretty much. all part of the big pile on where people take the NO result as a green light to say things they've always wanted to say. Sort of like a campaigner license

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back